What makes a good "Match Play" course?

Spivey

Reaction score
Handicap
7.6 GHIN
Reading an article in Links Magazine, I am curious -

What makes a good (or great) match play course, in your opinion? Does a course layout even matter? Is match all about the players, or does (or should) the course architecture come into play?

Thoughts?

I would think true risk/reward holes as well as making it more of a shot maker's course. This rather than length or the elements being determining factors.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

The best courses are the ones with holes that can be played different ways. This brings course management and mental game into play.

I'd say the worst are target golf courses - there's no thinking involved, just the ability to execute whatever shot required by the architect.

I think setup is more important than architecture. Especially on the back nine. Move the tees up on a par 4 to make it drive-able. Have some shaved areas that can make missed approach shots leave some challenging chips. Things like that which can really bring in different strategic decisions come in to play.

There needs to be at least one par 4 you could go after and 1 par 5 that is reachable in 2.

Some solid risk reward holes especially on the back 9

Anything but target golf works for me. There more risk/reward the better.

When it's a handicap match, you want to make sure that the low handicap holes (1, 2, 3, 4 and maybe farther) are not are the back of their respective nine holes. Want to make sure the higher handicapper gets as many chances to get a stroke as possible. If a match closes out early, and the 1-4 handicap holes are on the last hole or two of the nine, then they didn't get as much help as they could have.

Every course from correct tees is a good match play course

I like courses where some of the holes can be played conservatively to risk/reward and that offer a lot of birdie opportunities for both longer and shorter hitters.

A good mix of risk/reward holes, and a mix of holes that favor different types of games. Not every hole can favor the long hitter, not every hole can be built around the second shot.

Good match play players.

Back