What shaft would you play??

Legalize Mulligans

Reaction score
I am in the market for a Utility Iron and I have landed on the sub70 699u Pro but I am stuck on the shaft I should throw in it. I've narrowed it down to three.

I have a moderate tempo and swing my 7i at 90mph.
  1. Paderson Ballistic 95 Graphite
  2. Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8S Graphite
  3. Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0 Graphite
I have always wanted to try a Paderson shaft but on the fence since I have never hit one.

What are you currently playing in this slot and what don’t you like about it?

I am in the market for a Utility Iron and I have landed on the sub70 699u Pro but I am stuck on the shaft I should throw in it. I've narrowed it down to three.

I have always wanted to try a Paderson shaft but on the fence since I have never hit one.

Paderson makes good stuff, though, I have never personally tried the Ballistic utility shaft. It would be on my ponder list. Project X is also a good one if you like lighter weight. I am about your speed with moderate tempo, thought I tend more toward a 90+ g hybrid shaft.

A third option is UST Mamiya Lin-Q hybrid. There is some really positive feedback in that thread here on THP.

Paderson Ballistic is IMPECCABLE. Only UT/HY shaft that IMO comes close (and really it is neck and neck) is the new LIN-Q

Paderson makes good stuff, though, I have never personally tried the Ballistic utility shaft. It would be on my ponder list. Project X is also a good one if you like lighter weight. I am about your speed with moderate tempo, thought I tend more toward a 90+ g hybrid shaft.

A third option is UST Mamiya Lin-Q hybrid. There is some really positive feedback in that thread here on THP.
I read a few threads on here about that shaft and it would of proably made my list if sub70 offered it as a shaft option. :(

Have you talked to Jason from Sub 70 ? I had a similar experience last year when I bought their utility iron. I talked to Jason a couple of times about which shaft to use. We ended up using the same shaft as my irons ( KBS tour 90 hard stepped). It has worked out great. Jason is very good at getting the right setup.

Heard great things about the kinetixx.

Tried several in utility esque spot. The recoil prototype utility has been by far the best.

Back