What was your last "outside-the-box" equipment experiment?

12 degree driver with high launching shaft, set to 14 degrees.
It replaced my 3 wood and is a great success. 3 wood flight with much forgiveness. Not for use off the deck. Lol.

A mallet and insert putter. Have been using nothing but milled blades seemingly forever. It has worked out great.

Not uncommon nowadays, but a 9 wood. There’s an 11 wood sitting in the garage pleading for play time.

I played an XAct chipper for a while about 5 years ago when I was really struggling around the greens. That thing was a lot of fun

I think mine would be going with arm lock putting for a decent chunk of last season. That was something I swore I would never do but it actually worked pretty well.

@ddec my outside the box equipment experiment actually happened because of THP. I've always used a mallet putter. When I entered and was selected for the SeeMore Mini Giant DF putter review I was a little nervous since itis more of a blade putter.

The whole experience actually caused me to reconstruct my putting stroke and stance. I learned so much about putters and putting that I'm now confident in putting and really excited about a true putter fitting and maybe it's a blade putter!

Here's the review link.
Mini Giant DF

11 and 13 woods. like the loft on both. not always there. but a lot. recently purchased tour edge e522 irons. 5 wood is outstanding -- also e522 ... looking to get the 15 degrees driver with shorter shaft from tour edge.

good golfing ...

Not even certain what my box is, much less where outside it might lie :ROFLMAO:

Course was empty on Friday and I’m really struggling with putting so I carried 2. The mcraft and Odessey Rossie. I counted my pitts with mcraft but would drop balls in the same spots and putt with Rossie.

It didn’t help.

Just remembered I haven't finished my other outside of the box experiment. I've struggled with feeling too much load in my long irons which causes me to dump my lag and pretty much stop my swing. It doesn't matter what shaft or material. I've tried progressive sets, but they usually try to help get the long irons higher in the air and feel worse. The best long iron shaft I've played was KBS C-Taper Lite, but I didn't like the overly boardy feel in the short irons. I'm going to experiment with a staggered hard stepped shaft in my irons. I like the way my clubs feel up to my 9i, but then they progressively load more. Some don't feel bad, just unfamiliar. I'm going 2x hard stepped in my 4i as a test case. If it works the way I think it will my clubs will range from straight in to 2x hard stepped. It'll be a process to find out the right hard step for each club, but at the end of the process I'm hoping all of the clubs feel the same.

Midsize grips => minor success
Tour weight iron shafts => improvement in short irons, a step backwards in long irons
43" driver => major success
Replacing 2 & 3 hybrids with 5 & 7 woods => the jury is still out

I think it was my last driver where it had I think a one and ten gram weight for the toe and heel. It was a taylormade and I bought the weights meant to be used in the putters and put a 20 and 14 gram in the heel and toe. Gained like 30 yards overnight.

Right now all my irons and wedges 4-LW are the same continuous set. Which is I guess strange these days.

The really weird thing I did with my equipment this year is I changed nothing except at one point the weight in my putter.

I guess the smart sole chipper would be the other. I really like it, but unsure which club I remove to make it fit.
A few years ago when I was carrying the older version of the Smart Sole (the Niblick) it took the place of my gap wedge. If I took a 3/4 swing with the niblick with a short follow through the thing produced lasers with lots of backspin. And I hit it about the same distance as my full swing GW.

A few years ago when I was carrying the older version of the Smart Sole (the Niblick) it took the place of my gap wedge. If I took a 3/4 swing with the niblick with a short follow through the thing produced lasers with lots of backspin. And I hit it about the same distance as my full swing GW.
Nice, I’ve thought about that but the GW and 54 are really my go to pitch/half-swing shots for me. I’ve got them pretty dialed in.

For me it’s either the 58 or 3 wood that goes. It was easy to leave 3 wood at home until i got the LTDx Max

Outside the box. My whole bag is OTB really. If it works I will bag it. The last one I got was a Powerbilt hybrid chipper 37 degree club. Saw it on Mercari for 12 bucks and took chance on it just for fun. I love my Cleveland C (also OTB) which is 42 so the “gapping” made sense. I love this club. For longer bump and run shots and 80-100 yard approach shots it is money. It’s crazy. Stops on dime and is very much point and shoot. As I said, it works for me so it stays in the bag.

8F0A909B-9D49-4EE3-B313-BB0770558530.jpeg

A mallet and insert putter. Have been using nothing but milled blades seemingly forever. It has worked out great.
Change is scary but sounds like you found something.

I had 2 radical changes this year. Gerritt at ECPC had me try the Rogue ST Max D fairway wood and it has been awesome for me. I have been a gigantic hooker my whole life but have slowly tamed that and have used it on very tight holes.

The 2nd was going to a blade putter after using a mallet for 20ish years.

I bought some old Hogan blades from the 80's last week. I've played them twice and have hit higher-than-average GIRs each of those rounds. In all fairness, my iron game had been getting a little stronger prior to that.

Back