What was your last "outside-the-box" equipment experiment?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Currently, I'm reviewing a L.A.B. Golf putter that is pretty much outside the box for me in multiple ways. Shameless plug...that update thread can be found here

The question here is simple, what is your outside-the-box equipment experiment? Be it the type of club, different types of shafts, balls....anything. How did it work out for you? Did it change anything for you, your game, or your outlook on that certain piece of equipment?

OL - 5, 6, 7, 8i
VL - 8, 9i and wedges
not a good result.

46.5" helium driver shaft
amazing.

currently have a full shot and partial shot 50* wedge both in the bag.
TBD. :LOL:

Not sure if it's exactly "outside-the-box" but a few years back I purchased a set of Cobra King F7 one length irons to try. Totally wasn't for me all though I still believe that theory works. I gave them to my son and he loves them. Been in his bag ever since.

My last equipment experiment was getting Edison wedges last year.
It worked out great as I have more confidence in my short game than ever before and they are firmly in my bag.

Before that was getting the Lab DF 2.1 putter and that was figuratively life changing for my golf game.
Putting finally became a strength not a liability. Would love to try the MEZZ1 Max someday.

Latest is trying my current driver shaft - UST Mamiya Helium in 5F4.

It's a completely different profile than I've gamed previously; high launch, and lighter flex compared to low launch XS flex. I'm loving the results!

I didn't go too nuts, I put a 3w shaft in my driver head for a little while. Didn't end up keeping the setup.

Would Kirkland (Costco) wedges meet the criteria?

• Staff
My next experiment is coming soon. Im testing out a Maltby KE4 FDI hybrid 2i bent to 17 degrees. I launch those FDI clubs pretty easily so I’m hoping the strong loft and low/low shaft in X will bring the flight down a bunch and I’ll have a usable driving iron. I’m looking for a 230-250 yard bullet. If it plays more like a 2 hybrid, that’ll fill a gap too. I’m just really bunching up in the 4i, 5W, 4W, 4FDI, 17* UW area and need some separation.

i’d say a lot of my bag is out of the box right now.

regular flex driver shaft. but playing over length and a d7 swingweight. not intentional but it works.

low spin 3w with a “low low” shaft. i struggle to launch and spin woods.

low spin utility wood also with a “low low” shaft. see above.

stronger lofted lower spin irons. graphite shafts playing lighter than i usually prefer.

mid bounce wedges. short game struggles suggest i need lots of bounce.

I found an off brand chipper, in like new condition, in a Goodwill bargain bin. Paid $2.99 for it after our discounts.

Didn't need it, but it looked like something I could mess around with. It certainly wasn't going to replace my 8i.

I took the chipper, and my putter to a nearby pro shop, and paid to have the chipper adjusted to match the specs of my putter. Paid the guy $20. He didn't change the loft. I took care of the shaft length, and regrip. .

I did this because I chip with my putting set up, and stroke.

What I've found is that I can chip well with it from off the green, and even hole out with it on shorter putts. Also, I was more accurate, with better distance control after the adjustments. Think putter with 37* loft. 🤣

Like I mentioned above, it's just something to goof around with while practicing.

Going full mallet and gaming the Cobra Agera for the Morgan Cup. I've only used blade putters or smaller mid mallet. It's been a great experiment and glad I chose a great putter

I'm thinking and I seem to stay relatively "in-box" lol

I'm currently playing my Tour Edge C721 irons 4-7i, and my Cobra King Forged Tec 8-PW. Like the forgiveness and distance the C721's give me, and the added precision, still with forgiveness, that the KFT offer. Only 2 rounds into the experiment, but was 50% GIR first round and 67% 2nd round, compared to 43% for the year. Driver definitely helped out there, but I'm still taking advantage when I'm in position. Only struggle has been with the 8i, so might take the C721 up to the 8i and keep the KFT 9i and PW.

7 wood. I did enjoy it for a bit but gave up on it perhaps a bit too soon. Will likely give it another shot.

Went smart sole wedge at 58 degree for wet days on the course, it works pretty well when I don't get too lazy on the swing. When I get lax and say I have a huge bounce, it will be fine, it didn't work out that well.

I guess the smart sole chipper would be the other. I really like it, but unsure which club I remove to make it fit. I know folks say just use an 8 iron, but I did that Wednesday and shot it across the green, which unfortunately tends to be par for the course

Equipment is too expensive to get too crazy with. The last time I was outside of the box was with the Apex CF16s. Fill blown game improvement irons.

Otto Phlex.
Seems like fitters and club makers have cracked the AutoFlex code of that shaft.Go 10-20g lighter and 2 flexes softer than you normally play. So going with a 10.5 andRiptide CB 40 4.0 flex

Going to the Launcher Halos and a Sacks Parente putter.

MCC +4 Midsize. Pretty comfy, but not convinced yet.

I played blades for the first time ever this past season and actually had one of my best seasons ever. I'm a really solid iron player, but i had never played blades before.

I went back to players cavities for next year

7 wood. I did enjoy it for a bit but gave up on it perhaps a bit too soon. Will likely give it another shot.
Don’t know what you have... but, I went thru a time with my 7w where it just wasn’t what it used to be for me. I ended up shortening it one inch (you may want to try choking down on yours first)... and it transformed it for me. I am hitting mine so much better!

Lazrus 6h. I got it for Christmas and it is one of my favorite clubs. At the price they are asking, if my 7 iron keeps acting up I may replace it with a hybrid also!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I putt side saddle with a broomstick putter. Last year I got a Cobra Agera AL. I had it bent upright to 79 degree lie angle and adjusted it so that I locked it against my right, trail arm. Used it like a one handed stroke basically. After 8 months I felt things were going well but not great. When I went to the Quest Cup, Chris Koske brought the laser set up they use for Edel putter fittings. When I lined up I was aimed 7 inches left of target. Chris gave me the laser set up and when I got home I tested all my putters and I was lining up right on target with my SS style. So back to it. But I did like my one armed putting stroke.

Back