What would you do in my shoes?

That's a tough one. It's possible they didn't know any better, but should have gotten the hint when you kept fixing them. I probably would have asked if they knew how to fix the marks, but wouldn't have let it take away from my prep time.

I don't get many ball marks (because I suck at this game) but could probably figure out how to fix them.

Ask them if they had a divot tool and if they needed to borrow mine. Be polite and light about it so it isn't taken in an offensive manner.

This is one of my pet peeves on the course. I normally fix mine then end up fixing a couple of others. I would just offer them my repairer to borrow, if they were nice guys they would take it all good, but if they get all angry maybe stare clear from playing with them again.

I'd try the subtle approach first off, (subtle and me aren't best friends so it's a big deal :bicker: I'd say something along the lines of, "wow I thought your ball would have come back from it's mark?" followed by me fixing the pitch mark. If that didn't work I'd sure as hell be bringing it up more directly. I'd get to the point where I'd say, "Guys I know it may seem trivial but if you don't repair your pitch marks you're only shooting yourselves in the foot down the track. Keep the course in the best possible condition and do your bit." If that still didn't work I'd be calling the game quits and leaving them to themselves and making a point of stopping in at the pro shop to tell the pro about their disregard for the course. I'm no narc but I hate basic etiquette and decency being ignored.

whats with all the beating around the bush remarks and manorisms? Are we children?

I mean I'd fix the first one or two for the first or second green that was within my reach so to speak. But thats simply just in the assumption that they didnt see them or simply forgot (as has happened to me too and besides not every ball makes a divot) but then thats it. After that Just be an adult gentleman about it and ask or talk honestly and respectfully about it.

In a freindly way I might say something like this - "hey guys, I dont mean to dictate but we really should fix our ball marks". There are many different ways one can say that remark. It can be as easy or as harsh as you make it sound. I would make it sound as friendly, and respectful as possible but to also know that it is what one should be doing.

Then see what the response/s might be and respond further from that point according to which ever way the conversation leads. If the response is decent, friendly, and/or good then I'd make a joke or something to assure them of a friendly atmosphere.

Obviously if it heads off in a bad direction then you make the decision to handle it how you chose but you may be suprised that more often than not, if you say it in a friendly gesture kind of way it would most likely end up with good results.

BTW I will often fix ball marks while waiting for others to putt etc...And we can also have this very same conversation about those who never fix fairway divots too.

Played around last week as a single. Got paired up with another single and a twosome. Long story short, none of my playing partners took the time to fix their ball marks when they reached the putting green. Ended feeling like a caddie as I made the extra effort to repair all the damage that they made... Needless to say I putted like crap as there was virtually no time left to properly read my putts and go through my pre shot routine.

What would you guys do in my shoes? Speak out (and if so how to bring it up nicely) or pretend that everything is fine and play your own game like nothing is wrong?

I normally repair 2 or 3 or 4 pitch marks as necessary when I’m on the green, so I don’t see anything unusual about it. I may fix them before or after I putt, depending on when my turn comes up and where they are located. At about 5 seconds per pitch mark, I’m looking at 10 or 15 seconds max. It certainly isn’t something that’s going to mess up my routine. If your routine (I’m not talking about preshot routine, but your overall process upon arriving at the green) is that rigid, then maybe you need to find a way to relax a bit more, put some flexibility into the process.

If they are friends or acquaintances, I will just tell them that they need to do it. If they are strangers, then I’m not about to cause a confrontation – if they are friendly and easy-going I might mention it. If not, and it seems to be a significant issue, I might speak privately to the ranger and have him watch a hole or two and put the responsibility of approaching them on him.

Last edited:
I fix mine and always 2 others. I like the idea of handing them your divot tool. Knowing me, I would probably ask them aren't they going to fix their divots as I was fixing mine. I'm usually straight forward in my delivery on things.

I fix mine and always 2 others. I like the idea of handing them your divot tool. Knowing me, I would probably ask them aren't they going to fix their divots as I was fixing mine. I'm usually straight forward in my delivery on things.

yea, and thats sort of what I meant in my earlier post. But as said there are ways to say it and then there are other ways to say it.

I would have asked them point blank "don't any of you guys fix your ball marks?" I wonder what their responses would be?

Back