What would you do?

GolfTravelDude

Team Hackers Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So you have pulled together a fantastic opportunity to play a world renowned Top 100 course. It's way out end of Long Island and anyone who hasn't been out there the traffic can be an absolute nightmare. So thru my connections I line my son and I up for 7:30am...first off...just two of us. I played with two guys who heard about my play and asked if they could join in....So being Mr Wonderful I say sure...So the one guy reaches out to the club and he and his bud are now paired with just me an hour later....I reach back to this guy and say my son and I were lined up at 7:30 and now you move just me to 8:30 with the two of you......Fix it....He says, No you fix it as the pro at the club confirmed just 3 of us....
So I reach out and the pro says no problem...
My son and I show up and mysteriously we now have 5 as the pro also added another....
So there we stand with 5 of us...so how do you think this played out? What would you have done?
I'll check back later with what happened..........

I try to stay positive and think this was some type of miscommunication or misunderstanding between your friend and the club in not also moving your son with you to the 8:30 tee time.

And then think the Pro was helping out by moving your group back in with someone who had booked one of the previously empty spots in the 4-some time at 7:30 when it was just you and your son.

I hope everyone laughed it off and had a fun round as a 5-some since you have to be a somewhat serious golfer to book the first tee time of the day. I’d have rolled with it since ultimately, it sounds like you were able to tee off at 7:30 at a top 100 course with your son as you’d originally planned.

I'm a mostly public course player and I've found that when playing a private course I'm just along for the ride. Probably not much a non-member can do in a case like this if unhappy.

Here's the outcome. And the amount of PO I am can't begin to be counted....So as we stand there at 6am and chat with the caddie master/starter....He says we are set up for 8:30. We don't really ask anything more as he has us down for 8:30....so now it is 8:00 and there are 5 people standing around who have 8:30 tee time....My son and I two guys I played with a month ago at an outing and I hooked them up to potentially join my son and I. And the 5th happens to be the guy who runs our rating program who I know and the other two have no idea who he is. So the two I hooked up go off at 8...we go off at 830 as 3...but in between a 4ball goes off. The 2 finish 90 minutes ahead of us and beat the traffic out...We follow the 4ball and watch them putt out on every hole from 2 forward...They finish 5 holes behind the 2...never once a thought to allow us thru...then the big thing...5 minutes after the 2 exit the course and go off beating the traffic...the skies open up and we get soaked to the bone as we left all our gear in the car to lighten the load for the caddie....Then our 2 1/2 hour time to get out there was 5 hours to get home....A story of helping another out and getting kicked in the face......Maybe I should have just put this in the ranting post.....

I hope it played out with the 5 of you having a fine time, or you and your son taking off as a 2 and having the other three go together.

Depending on circumstance I could absolutely see myself being upset, but really only at the person that took it upon themselves to move the time I had already booked.

Obviously the circumstances were beyond your control, however as the original plans were for just you and your son I would have insisted to the starter that you and he were the first group to go. I realize that means the 5th winds up with two guys where they don't know each other but that's not really your issue IMO. If he's a big boy he'll get along just fine with the others.

I know that it likely goes against your personality, as I would probably have done the same as you with the two guys, but I've reached that point in my life where I realize that I have to put myself first because nobody else is going to. Sure, I'll still do what I can to help others but the days of giving up on my own plans to accommodate others are over.

That whole thing stinks. Bummer.

I recently had a guy pretty much beg to join our group, and then try to get us to move the tee time after he joined. I wasn't having it.

Not going to lie I would be PO’d beyond belief and the rain and traffic. I assume you’d never spoken to them since.

Not going to lie I would be PO’d beyond belief and the rain and traffic. I assume you’d never spoken to them since.
This was yesterday......14 hours in car for me....That was the real key....Being on time to exit the end of Long Island....They call it the Contractor Train....As none of the workers/landscapers/plumbers etc can afford to live out there...So at 6am they all drive out and then all drive home...So the start of our exit was 2 hours to go 10 miles....Then we had to get thru NYC at Friday Rush hour....Spectacular golf course...great day...but if son and I tee at 7:30...we are done and in NJ by 2 latest...Instead we pull in at 6 and then I gotta drive to VA from there....

That just sounds absurd.. I would've asked to go just you and your son at 730 and leave that other guy who ****** up on his own for later

That just sounds absurd.. I would've asked to go just you and your son at 730 and leave that other guy who ****** up on his own for later
As the time was moved to 830 the 730 was filled by others....This is one of the most prestigious courses in all of US....It was a good day/great day...Just po'd about getting soaked and double the drive and ignorant folks in front of us with no one in front of them....You expect more from a Maidstone....

Back