What's up with Wedge Grinds?

I think being properly fit for the grind on a wedge is super important. However unless you are in Michigan around Scratch headquarters or are lucky enough to have a top notch OUTDOOR grass fitting place in your area it is super hard to get fit for a grind. Which means most of us take a shot in the dark with the limited info we have about each grind.

Callaway did a nice job educating the customer about the grinds they offered. I hope that more manufactures keep educating the consumer about grinds. I also hope more places put a emphasis on wedge fitting.

I attended a Callaway Demo day yesterday evening, for a wedge fitting. Very interesting and really opened my eyes to the world of wedges.
As discussed on the forum in various threads, the fitter started off with “It’s all about distances rather than the lofts” statement, which makes total sense.

I brought along my PW and 58* wedge and proceed to hit a number of shots with the PW followed by the 58* wedge. The next step was to start finding out how to fill the distance gaps between to the two clubs. After numerous shots with 50*, 52*, 54* & 56*, It established that a 52* with a low bounce of 8 was the club for me, it filled the gap but kept it simple. The figures generated by the other wedges, with varying shots i.e. full, ¾ swings, were very similar and no real benefit.
So, I picked up a Callaway Mack Daddy 52*8 wedge in chrome to match my 58* and they threw in a Callaway (Big Bertha) Tour Staffer Baseball cap in navy.

Needless to say a bit more practice on approach & around the green may change the wedge setup in time, but at least now I have a solid starting point to work from.

Back