When a hole is in your head?

Wishbone.'.

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m pretty frustrated at the moment. My home course has a hole that’s totally in my head. Hole 17, It’s the #2 handicap on the course but it’s short and shouldn’t be as hard as I make it. I had a good round going today (for me) and double bogeyed it and doubled 18 after it because my nerves were completely shot! Shot 81. It’s a perfect 3 wood and gap wedge hole but for whatever reason, I seem to always pull or push my tee shot and end up in trouble. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve birdied and pared it many times but for the majority, it seem to bite me and it’s totally in my head. Do you guys have a hole that’s in your head. How did you get over it? I swear this one is going to kill me! Lol
7e393d39a530a62623304e91e1278d31.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea. I have one. I think its hole 12 at TCI. Gets me everytime, and ive never gotten over it.

~Rock

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

When I have a hole in my head I change how I approach it and tee off with a different club.

Yeah. My ‘home Course’ has a Par 5 hole on the back 9 that starts with a blind uphill tee shot. If you hit a nice drive it goes over the hill and runs down to God knows where. Then you’re looking at a severe dog leg right at the bottom of the hill. You can either choose to try and hit a wood or hybrid over the water and trees right at the green on your 2nd shot, or lay up down the fairway. The last 100 yds of the hole are straight uphill to a blind green. Even if you hit a great drive and go for it on your 2nd shot, you invariably end up under the trees for a blind shot at the green.

If I par the thing I’m counting my blessings. I actually dread that hole before I even get there.

When I have a hole in my head I change how I approach it and tee off with a different club.

I think going Costanza is the way to go. You know - ‘if every decision you’ve ever made is wrong, doesn’t that make the exact opposite right’?

Hi. My name is George. I’m unemployed and live with my parents.

Yea. I have one. I think its hole 12 at TCI. Gets me everytime, and ive never gotten over it.

~Rock

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
6 and 18... F those holes

Mine is a 440 yard par 4 with a forced carry near the green. The second shot usually requires a long iron/hybrid/fairway. A buddy calls it my "snowflake" hole because I often lay up and try to get up/down from 100 yards for par. Bogey is a good score. It's the #1 handicap.

As far as changing things up...I started going for it when my scorecard isn't great. I'm not convinced it's a smart decision because there's two bunkers guarding the green and one of them is a doozy. It's really easy to get a big number on this hole. I just need to keep assessing the situation and challenging myself to go for it when reasonable.

Mine is a 440 yard par 4 with a forced carry near the green. The second shot usually requires a long iron/hybrid/fairway. A buddy calls it my "snowflake" hole because I often lay up and try to get up/down from 100 yards for par. Bogey is a good score. It's the #1 handicap.

As far as changing things up...I started going for it when my scorecard isn't great. I'm not convinced it's a smart decision because there's two bunkers guarding the green and one of them is a doozy. It's really easy to get a big number on this hole. I just need to keep assessing the situation and challenging myself to go for it when reasonable.

You and Boone both have legitimate complaints. Both holes sound tough. Mine is completely mental. Man I can hit a 2 iron off the tee and be a short iron in. But I swear...I’ll pull or push the 2 iron! It’s like I want to go wedge, wedge, wedge next time just to see!

#3 at Sandpiper. It's a 190 yard par 3 that I just can't hit the damn green, cant chip close, and cant make a putt on. It's so deep into my cranium that I can barely get off the tee now.

#3 at Sandpiper. It's a 190 yard par 3 that I just can't hit the damn green, cant chip close, and cant make a putt on. It's so deep into my cranium that I can barely get off the tee now.

Hoping someone will come along here with the words of wisdom to help us both out!

two on the course I play most often. The two softest holes on the course. Probably the two softest holes I have seen. On one par 4...and anyone who knows me knows how out of character this is...I recently, because it was so much in my head, dialed back to teeing off with a 9i. And promptly hosel rocketed it straight into the houses I pulled that club to avoid. Then on 8, I decided to go with the 8i for comfort. And yanked it left onto the road, into the houses. @#$%^ those two holes. I should average about par and bet I average close to a double on them.

two on the course I play most often. The two softest holes on the course. Probably the two softest holes I have seen. On one par 4...and anyone who knows me knows how out of character this is...I recently, because it was so much in my head, dialed back to teeing off with a 9i. And promptly hosel rocketed it straight into the houses I pulled that club to avoid. Then on 8, I decided to go with the 8i for comfort. And yanked it left onto the road, into the houses. @#$%^ those two holes. I should average about par and bet I average close to a double on them.

This one made me LAUGH!! That is funny! But I feel your pain man!

The 2nd hole at the course I play with my wife all the time drives me nuts. It has the widest fairway on the course, but a giant willow tree in the middle of the fairway. It's about a 500 yard par 5, so all it amounts to is a Driver, short iron, wedge.

Something about the hole just doesn't set up right for me. I snap hook the tee shot into the woods OB left 7/10 times.

Just change how I approach the hole until I find success. First hole at my home course is a short par 4, drivable in the right wind. No matter what club I hit, driver all the way down to 4 iron, it almost always ended in bogey or worse. Now, I take 3W to cover the trouble left of the fairway and aim left, so I don't have to go over a bunker right of the green (this is what usually bit me). Now I have a GW-PW in and have parred it more often than not.

For this hole, why not take a hybrid or whatever club is under your 3 wood so you can avoid issues with that tree left and aim that way? Just an idea, tough to play with a 2 way miss.

I have two at my home course, #1 and #10 that I struggle with almost every time. They are basically the same hole, they range from 410-420 yards with a slight dogleg right, water short and left of the hole and either trees or bunkers on the right. For some reason they have my number mentally. I can usually hit a decent drive but very rarely do I hit the green. It's a huge win any time I can make par on those two.

Yeah. My ‘home Course’ has a Par 5 hole on the back 9 that starts with a blind uphill tee shot. If you hit a nice drive it goes over the hill and runs down to God knows where. Then you’re looking at a severe dog leg right at the bottom of the hill. You can either choose to try and hit a wood or hybrid over the water and trees right at the green on your 2nd shot, or lay up down the fairway. The last 100 yds of the hole are straight uphill to a blind green. Even if you hit a great drive and go for it on your 2nd shot, you invariably end up under the trees for a blind shot at the green.

If I par the thing I’m counting my blessings. I actually dread that hole before I even get there.

Boone, what’s your home course? Wondering if I’ve played it.

#5 at Dorchester. I've renamed it Lake Nemesis. The cousin and I have decided it's in all actuality a par 7.

I'm at the point where I'm trying different strategies. Using a different club, poking down to the miniscule shelf instead of trying the elevated "tee" fairway to try and get over the darn lake. My 5H can get in the air and barely over it, but it's much easier from the little shelf.

Stupid hole.

IMG_1107.PNG

This hole is always in my head. Every time we play at the the course its usually in between clubs for me. Never fails. If I choose the shorter club that I can just carry over the water I hit it in the water. If I choose the longer club and swing easy I always hit it solid and fly it over the green and usually ends up into the bushes.

Boone, what’s your home course? Wondering if I’ve played it.

I play at lot at Pleasant Ridge GC. It's a nice little course off Hwy 68. No frills. You can walk on pretty much any day of the week. Typically only $20 a round which is incredibly low. But they keep the course in good shape.

Also play pretty frequently at Greensboro National which is a very nice play to play, but double the cost. They've got GPS on their carts which is sort of nice (surprising that more courses don't have it).

I have a hole as well on my home course. #7 par 3 that plays 185-205. And almost always plays into a strong headwind. Creek on right bunkers on left with the sloped green running to the creek. I hate that hole with a passion.

Long par 5 on my frequently played course around here, don't think I've ever gotten par there. Each time it's either the drive or second shot I mess up. Next time I almost want to go 6i, 6i, 7/8i just to see how it goes.

the 11th hole at my former course was always in my head. To the point that I would start thinking about it once I hit hole 7. In my mind I would look at my score and figure I needed to be at a certain point because 11 was in my head(short par 4), followed by the two toughest holes on the course. The kicker is, that hole is short enough where I could tee off with a 6-7 iron and be fine. But the narrow fairway slopes hard from right to left, all down the right is OB and the left is a hazard up to about 70 yards from the green. Can hit driver up there, but needs to be straight, and of course I would pull the ball in that hazard too often. Plus the green is two tiers, with the back pin being unbelievably fast, and the bottom tier having a huge swing in the putt regardless of which direction you are going at the hole. On the scorecard it's a birdie hole, in my mind if I got less than bogey I was happy.

Mine is #18 at Indian Mounds in Fairmount City, IL. It's a 120 yard par 3, an easy 9 iron for me. First time I played it, I left it about 6 feet from the hole. Pretty sure that's the only time I've ever hit that green. Some of my misses have been dramatic, too, like the ball leaving my club at a 45° angle on what felt like a good stroke. That hole has me completely mental every time I step up to the tee box ... which, of course, just feeds the monster. I've tried using my 8 iron or PW instead, but with no better results. No idea what it is about that hole that just gets inside my head and stays there.

For this hole, why not take a hybrid or whatever club is under your 3 wood so you can avoid issues with that tree left and aim that way? Just an idea, tough to play with a 2 way miss.

I don’t carry any hybrids but I’ve hit 2 iron, 3 iron off it many times as well. I’ll hit those clubs nicely all round but on this hole, for whatever reason, I put a poor swing on it and push or pull it. If pulled into the tree on the left leaves a very long shot into a tiny green surrounded my trees. If pushed I’m stymied behind tress all the way down. Seriously thinking about 4 iron off the tee. Will leave 6 or 7 iron in.
9edf5684a03b3e7b64b2ee422d0bcc8c.png

It’s not that freaking hard of a hole! Going to play later today. I’ll report back the results this evening

...you should really have a doctor take a look at it.

Back