When do you know it’s time for a change?

ammac

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I hate changing putters, but lately I’m having doubts. Im gaming a Scotty blade 2.5 and the toe hang plus the lack of alignment aid is starting to get in my head! When do you know?

When I feel like it. No reason needed.

I think when you’re in a rut. I’ve been on an Odyssey 7 “thing” and it’s weird that when I pick up my NP2 it suddenly starts to behave a little better.

IMO when you get a little difference perspective, you do something a little different. Then when you go back to the old stand-by it wakes up.

Golf is an ever evolving nightmare wrapped up in a wet dream.

If you’re asking you already know it’s time to try something new.

The anser 2 has been my #1 putter for a long time. I have a couple of them. Recently I changed to a mallet because I felt like getting back into golf I need to try something different.

Go to the golf store and speed date a bunch of different styles of putters.

I hate changing putters, but lately I’m having doubts. Im gaming a Scotty blade 2.5 and the toe hang plus the lack of alignment aid is starting to get in my head! When do you know?
I rotate between a couple, and they both know their place: stop making putts and you’re going into time out. But fear not, when your replacement stumbles, I’ve always got you in reserve…rinse and repeat as needed.

For me it's just whenever the urge strikes. I could go years with the same putter, or it could be weeks.

I'm pretty monogamous with putters, I don't bounce around between 2 or 3 of them at a time. I'm either all in or all out with it.

If it's not doing well, it's time.

I bought a new putter a couple of years ago on a whim but now I'm looking for more performance.

I'm pretty monogamous with putters, I don't bounce around between 2 or 3 of them at a time. I'm either all in or all out with it.
This has been my approach to putters. I don’t want to always keep the thought that if this one doesn’t work, I’ll try another. Isn’t the putter garage full of misfits?

@leftybob, you’re so damn spot on! Asking the question says it all.

When it feels like I’m not enjoying the game because of the club

For me, it's when I find better club, that does a better job.

I played the same putter for 25+/- years untill it was damaged and became unplayable. Found few different styles that played well, but nothing stood out.

Then I found this gem, in the $4 bargain bin. After a little repair job to fix a loose shaft, i was back, making a ton of putts.

Attachments

• 20231229_162311.jpg
    20231229_162311.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 4
Tested several AI One putters today. Three-ball with line down the middle was my favorite. Kept switching back and forth and my Scotty feels the best at impact and put as many in the hole. 🤷‍♂️. Maybe it’s not the putter, it’s the putter?

I did it. Had to scratch the itch and end my fixation. I bought a new TM Tour Spider X #3. Swapped the grip for my preferred Super Stroke Pistol 2.0. Not 100% face balanced, but it feels like it’s on a rail compared to my Scotty. First round this weekend. Time will tell.

To me, once you find "the one" nothing else matters. Sure, sure, it's always fun to play around with various putters in a collection, but "the one" will always be in your bag - unless something horrific happens and you just can't sink a putt to save your life. Then it's time to look at the others in your collection who have earned a "backup" position.

Funny, I love trying different putters, and may even buy one no and then.
But for the past 3 years, nothing can supplant my Betti Inovai 6 crescent neck for the #1 spot.
Many have tried and failed.

Back