When do you play your best?

jmix18

I'm just happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I love going out and golfing with my family. It’s been fun watching my daughters games grow as well as my wife’s game get better the more we’ve played. However I always find myself playing poorly when we’re all together versus other times when I’m out with buddies or even walking the course with my wife. Figure my focus is elsewhere - yet it’s frustrating some days.

So THPers under what conditions do you play best?

When the moon and stars are all in the right alignment. Doesnt happen too often:D. But I know what you mean. Whenever I would play with my son I would hit such terrible shots I would tell him whatever you see me do just do the opposite!

I play best after a rest. If I try to play every day and beat balls at the range, my scoring suffers. Fresh off of a few days off the course, I usually score my best.

Honestly, I seem to play well in scrambles and when paired up with better players. Not always of course, but generally.

I love playing in the morning, always have liked being a dew sweeper.

Best I can tell it's totally random.

I tend to play better when I walk vs. ride. More time between shots to think about strategy I guess.?

There was this one day in August about 2 years ago ...
I had a personal best by 5 strokes. Haven't approached that score since. So if I could just get back to that day, I'd be all set.

Better the players I play with the better I play for some reason.

I need to be rested and pain free. So 4% of the time haha.

this hits home for me. i've made the commitment to play every week during my busy season this year (starts january, will end in about 4 weeks). but in order to balance golf and work, i have to play as early as possible. i was playing pretty poorly during these early rounds, and was getting a little frustrated. until one morning when i felt great and played very decently. and realized it's because i went to bed at a reasonable hour and didn't drink too much the night before. funny how playing on a good night's rest goes better than playing tired and hungover lol

I will post my best scores when I play with better golfers than myself. Better golfers, who are strangers to me, seem to pull my best efforts out of moth balls for me.

Most of my golf rounds are for fun, and relaxation with family, and friends.. Kind of like being on auto pilot..

I have never noticed a trend depending on who I play with or playing solo. But have with weather. I definitely play my best in extreme heat and humidity.

I love going out and golfing with my family. It’s been fun watching my daughters games grow as well as my wife’s game get better the more we’ve played. However I always find myself playing poorly when we’re all together versus other times when I’m out with buddies or even walking the course with my wife. Figure my focus is elsewhere - yet it’s frustrating some days.

So THPers under what conditions do you play best?
In my sleep, unfortunately. :cool:

When I'm angry. Well, borderline. Feeling aggressive might be more accurate. I'm a high energy guy who's simultaneously really mellow most of the time. And I can play really well when I'm smiling and laughing and tranquil as can be. Love to. As much as I wish my best came from that place, it doesn't. My source is more of a primordial chaos, bubbling and itching to erupt. So piss me off and watch me go.

If I’m 100% honest, unfortunately, I think I play my best golf when I’m by myself 🤔.

Maintaining a consistent pre shot routine and focus seems to help me shoot my best scores.

When I’m loosened up, well-fed, and hydrated.

I tend to not play well against dad. I always play horribly with @Hamfist

My + golfing kid, I usually play well with now-but that wasn’t always the case. I played horribly when I was teaching him and the other kids the game. I couldn’t focus enough on me when I was worried about them.

There have been exceptions, largely unnoticed by the kids, 🤣. My then about 10 year old on his 3rd-4th round ever looked at me and said “dad, when are you ever going to play good when I’m with you???” This was on hole 13 and I’d had 12 relatively boring pars and was at even. He had no idea. There weren’t a lot of good looks but there wasn’t much stress in it either. Pretty boring.

I play best when I am by myself. I can ignore all distractions and get "zoned in." I nearly got hit with a ball from another fairway last year because I couldn't even hear the "fore!" coming from the kids over there. I also play well in tournaments and competitions when I feel I don't have to talk much or know the competitors. Definitely well rested also and having no elbow pain!

On the flip side, I actually played really well when I was teaching my wife (then girlfriend) how to play. I was so worried about her pushing her cart on the green or focusing on some penalty area and skulling one in the water, I forgot to worry about my game. I didn't overthink and just relied on my swing and short game.

I have to feel like I "want" to play golf that day. What I mean is that I generally play every weekend from May 1 to Oct 15 unless it's raining. Just because I show up at the course doesn't necessarily mean that I "want" to golf that particular day. It could have been a long week at work, a poor night's sleep, a pain here or there - I'm sure most of you can relate.
So why would I go you might ask. Golf is my getaway. My outlet. I work hard 5 (sometimes 6) days a week and when it's my time I want to do something for me. Take the 2021 season as a prime example - our course opened Mar 20 and I played provided it wasn't raining. Yes, I had to put more layers on than I was comfortable wearing, but I went because it'd been 4+ months since I'd last been able to play and golf was the only available outlet. The first round(s) I actually enjoyed were last weekend; the weather was nice enough to wear shorts and only a wind shirt, it was Masters week and my body didn't hurt in any way.
I'm almost 100% guaranteed to play very well anytime I go away on a golf trip. I can't honestly think of a trip where I haven't.

When I am not trying to overpower a course and just play target golf instead of bomb and gouge. More finesse, less Mongo smash.

I have participated in sports all my life and at age 65 have many aches and pains. It's rare now to be without some sort of limitation due to arthritis. So I have to say when it is summer time and the warm temps soften up my body is when I tend to play the best. I get a little crusty in the Michigan winters.

Back