When is the right time to HONK your horn?

When the driver in front of me is sitting there after the red light has turned green, eyes down, looking for something in what must be a mess on their front seat. That rates a toot.

If at a light and you don’t go after 3-4 secs you get a light honk like hey bud it’s green get off your phone. Most realize they weren’t paying attention and even put up a hand like my bad.

If you cut me off big time in a way that could have caused an accident I’m giving you the full horn

If you are actually likely to hit me with no escape /exit for me I’m laying on that horn so hard you’ll hear it 2 counties away.

I’ll honk my horn a few seconds after the light turns green because I know that soccer mom/dad is probably playing around on their phone.

I forgot to add it’s a long beep with this followed…

Don't be hatin' on Niko there.

But yes - usually just a beep to notify the yo yo of the new color.

At a light, I will wait about 5 seconds before I give it a quick chirp.

If someone comes close to sideswiping me, they will get a longer notice, and then they will eat my dust. I want to separate myself from them asap. Might be drunk, might be on phone, might be inattentive. I am not sticking around to find out.

Last edited:
There's always a 'right' time when it's warranted. Someone veering over into your lane? A good hard blast.

3 seconds after the light changes? a couple of taps to get the attention. 5 seconds? Blast it long.

Someone that YOU can see pulling out between an obstacle- a couple of toots to let them know you're there.

A cyclist being an idiot? I wish I had a train whistle or a Semi's air horn. But only after pulling along side in stealth mode.

On a side note- recently I was at a light behind a Livery/Uber (can tell by the 'T' in the plate). On the cross street to my right was a police cruiser. The light changed and Uber didn't move within the 3 second window. Couple of toots. Nothing. I noticed the Cop look over. Another couple of seconds- a bit more of a steady horn to get his attention. (I could tell he was on the phone, or at least watching it). By now, Cop was watching as well. Driver finally looked up into mirror, then at the light and started to move, but was still looking at his phone. I held back for a second to see what happened. Guy was oblivious to the Cop watching him go through the intersection with his head down looking at the phone. *Blip* went the siren and a flash of the lights and the Cop zipped ahead of me and pulled him over.

Withlacoochee Trail bicyclists blasting through crosswalk stop signals when cars have the right-of-way gets my horn blaring.

Last edited:
No one near me ever does a quick beep during my day time sleeping hours 🤔. If I have to give you a long beep your probably getting the bird as well.

Horn usage is multipurpose. Couple quick taps to say hi, or bye. Slightly longer sounding for someone asleep at a green light, or the protracted blaring when a driver doesn’t remember that other vehicles also use the road…

I use them all.

And now I want a train horn again.

There is no right time, if in a hurry start earlier.

I'm the guy that actively says to myself "d*mn it, I should've honked my horn there!" It's just not a natural reaction for me to go to that, I always just throw my hands up in the air and say something outload. But it's usually when people cut me off or don't use their blinkers.

Pretty much the only time i honk is to tell people when the light's turned green. Most of the time they wave....i've never had issues.

Sometimes if you see a hot babe you need to honk though, followed by whistling and catcalls. Women love that

Back