When is the right time to HONK your horn?

I'll sometimes lay on when someone pulls right in front of me and I have to slam my brakes or if someone decide to change lanes into mine when there wasn't much room and it was a dangerous/dumba** move. Happend a couple weeks ago and I bet they didn't clear mine and the vehicle in front in their original lane by more than two feet.

Man for me it’s all dependent on the situation. Someone on their phone and completely oblivious, I’m laying on it for a few seconds. If it’s just a reminder or get their attention a quick tap.

Last edited:
I'll be honest.... The times I hit my horn the most is me just losing my cool and punching the steering wheel. I spend most Sundays on the road, thus NFL and PGA bets are coming down to the wire. Nothing like blowing a parlay while dealing with I-81's ********.

I had an experience down in Myrtle Beach one time blowing my horn during a bike week... I'm not too quick with it after that.

Cordial little tap tap when they aren't paying attention, say at a traffic light. If they are coming over in my lane without even looking, nor using a turn signal, they get the long "WTF are you doing?" horn. This is why I like loud obnoxious truck horns ... make sure it gets their attention & quick :LOL:

I use the horn in my car and my truck whenever necessary. From the quick "Hey" at a light, to the big "HEY A$$HOLE" for something serious. I rarely use the horn when driving my wife's car though, it has such a pathetic excuse for a horn that it's more like saying "Excuse me" than anything else, and not likely anyone would take such a little kiddy horn seriously.

I do it in two situations. One when someone is about to hit me. Two when someone appears to be distracted at a traffic light and not moving. Other than that I rarely beep.

when a 48-car freight express train is hurtling towards you and your engine has expired

I’ve been known to lay on the horn when someone pulls out in front of me.

Two scenarios for me. First a light tap when at a light and someone isn't paying attention. Two is an elongated laying on it coupled with the 🐦 for dumbassery

I find there are really 3 acceptable types of honks.

1. The light double beep. This means look up the light is green.

2. the medium length, you’re merging and don’t see me honk because I am in your blind spot. Total accident but I want to get your attention so we dont crash.

3. the extra long extra loud. You stupid mother @&$”;?!’r I am going to run you off the road because you are driving like a moron and if the next light is red I am going to drag you out and beat you with a tire iron honk.

these are the only acceptable uses for your horn.

This is timely. If they’re traveling in the same direction and start to travel in your lane a good honk-honk does the trick. But say you’re behind a car in a 35 mph zone by about 3 car lengths and a guy tries to cut between you two to go the other way from a perpendicular street and you slam on the brakes to keep from tee boning him a good long honk is encouraged.

Outside of a true emergency, I NEVER honk my horn. I don’t care if the person in front of me sits through the light. I can’t stand when people honk at others for taking too long! You honk at me, we’re sitting through at least one light. Also, if someone cuts you off or does something stupid, if you honk at them, they usually freeze up or slow down and that usually leads to an accident. So, long story short, stop honking at people.

I plead the fifth- I probably use it far too often. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The right time? after about 5-6 seconds your going to get a quick one from me.

Very dependent on the situation. If the light turns green and person in front of me is on their phone or whatever a quick beep. If someone cuts me off or dang near hits me or something long hard beep.

Ohio just enacted a distracted driving law that allows authorities to ticket you if found to be distracted as if you are impaired. It's a pretty severe fine and points situation on your license
About time. I wish it would make its way down here.

I find there are really 3 acceptable types of honks.

1. The light double beep. This means look up the light is green.

2. the medium length, you’re merging and don’t see me honk because I am in your blind spot. Total accident but I want to get your attention so we dont crash.

3. the extra long extra loud. You stupid mother @&$”;?!’r I am going to run you off the road because you are driving like a moron and if the next light is red I am going to drag you out and beat you with a tire iron honk.

these are the only acceptable uses for your horn.
I do 1 & 2 a lot.

You get 2 seconds to get that hunk of junk moving after the light turns green before I honk the horn. My wife thinks I am impatient, but I do wait the full 2 seconds. 🤷‍♂️

I believe there is a direct relationship of horn honking aggressiveness and proximity to a city. I live in NY, so yeah honking is kind of an art form.

I’ll rarely use it. I’m the type that uses the accelerator to get as far ahead as possible from the problem/distracted driver. :)

Usually just a love tap after we've sat at a green light for a bit. I don't expect you do charge off as soon as the light turns green but pay attention, I'm in my car because I have things to do, not just driving around for enjoyment.

The second is the you're a dumbarse situation where they've either pulled out in front of me or they've nearly hit me another way.

My horn is fairly decent for a small SUV but I wish it wasn't a lease so I could put air horns (not train) on it.

there are plenty of reasons to do it bc people are clueless driving....... but in the Chicago area it's honestly not a risk im willing to take anymore. There is gunfire almost daily on the highway. I've seen others beep at someone who was clearly in the wrong just for the wrong driver to get out of their car to confront the other person

@GolferGal had a good take on this during a WGP episode.

Back