When on the green,.......why....

When people are standing around, doing nothing on the green, I just say, "play ready golf." And then I let it go. Meanwhile, I set an example by doing what I can do to read my putt without interfering with anyone before me. You just need to let it go and set an example.

I don’t think anyone thinks it’s a free for all, but not being able to wait a few extra seconds while someone marks their ball after a missed putt isn’t an unreasonable ask.

If for nothing else you prevent a backstop situation and a potential penalty. Unless you at splaying a round and not keeping score, that aspect matters.
I still feel you likely putting too much into it.

To be specific about time? its not a few seconds.
You see (in my example) your 40 feet. You putt. Im at a different angle and so Im closer than 40 and only have to walk to my ball only so many feet which i do while your ball is rolling and then i set up and evaluate and address. So your ball stops 3 feet (as in my example) and in no time im ready to pull the trigger.

the other way (your way) Im not going to my ball as your is rolling. I have to wait for you to wait for your putt to stop and then wait for you to walk over the 37 feet and then pick up and mark, and then walk away. Only then do I now proceed to my ball to then adress evaluiate and set and pull trigger.

that is not just a few seconds difference. its more than that. And if done (or not) by an entire 4some it can collectively add up to significant noticeable time especially throughout 18 holes combined of that 4some.

as for the penalties Ive never ever seen one (that i recall) due to people playing a much more time efficient greens putting like readying and out of turn and doing all things mentioned when practical. Again I think your making too much of it.

i guess well just have to agree to disagree. i still think you (and perhaps a few others) are picturing something much worse than what Im suggesting. They are truly not that big a deal to do. And also do so while maintaining good golf etiquette too. fwiw im a fan of ettiquettes. Iwish society and the world had more (but thats another subject).

Much better conversing with you as we debate some of this vs fighting. I appreciate good debate and conversation.

You see (in my example) your 40 feet. You putt. Im at a different angle and so Im closer than 40 and only have to walk to my ball only so many feet which i do while your ball is rolling and then i set up and evaluate and address. So your ball stops 3 feet (as in my example) and in no time im ready to pull the trigger.

the other way (your way) Im not going to my ball as your is rolling. I have to wait for you to wait for your putt to stop and then wait for you to walk over the 37 feet and then pick up and mark, and then walk away. Only then do I now proceed to my ball to then adress evaluiate and set and pull trigger.

that is not just a few seconds difference. its more than that. And if done (or not) by an entire 4some it can collectively add up to significant noticeable time especially throughout 18 holes combined of that 4some.

as for the penalties Ive never ever seen one (that i recall) due to people playing a much more time efficient greens putting like readying and out of turn and doing all things mentioned when practical. Again I think your making too much of it.

i guess well just have to agree to disagree. i still think you (and perhaps a few others) are picturing something much worse than what Im suggesting. They are truly not that big a deal to do. And also do so while maintaining good golf etiquette too. fwiw im a fan of ettiquettes. Iwish society and the world had more (but thats another subject).

Much better conversing with you as we debate some of this vs fighting. I appreciate good debate and conversation.

No one said you had to wait until the putt stops rolling to get address your putt. As soon as the ball leaves the putter, I fully expect anyone in my group to start moving, especially if their putt is on a similar line and trying to read the break. I don't expect anyone in my group to putt immediately while the ball is still moving or still and the chance presents itself for the ball at rest to be hit causing me a penalty for not marking my ball.

If you are referring to people lining up or addressing their ball while moving, it's done all the time, but I fail to see where someone who doesn't do that is contributing some arbitrary time to the pace of play because by that thought process, people are not always ready when it's their turn from the fairway or just off the green. I would argue people deciding which club to hit after their tee shot takes up more time than whatever their putting routine is once once the green.

@rollin You are going to really throw a fit when they roll back the flagstick rule. They are taking a hard look at it as it seems it was primarily intended as a "speed up play" solution at the amateur level and it has surprised the R&A in particular how many pros are leaving it in. It is affecting play/scoring so it has become a "performance" enhancing issue (as in leaving it in helps in their estimation) which it was never intended to be. Since the ruling bodies don't like bifurcation, if they go back to the old Rules it will apply at both the professional and amateur levels.

Your argument (for lack of a better word) seems to center on it's all one way or all another. Most would say it's a little of both. When player 1 putts from 40 feet, player 2 doesn't have to wait until player 1's putt comes to rest before he then moves in to place his ball and begin his pre-shot routine. And if player 1 walks 37 feet to mark his ball? You really think that will take more than a couple of seconds? What is he doing during that 37 feet? Stopping for a drink?

Many of your examples use exaggeration to further your agenda. It loses credibility if you ask me.

So, based on your examples please give me the amount of time saved on each green between your proposed method versus what you believe is currently taking place. I'd really like to see just how much time you think you are saving across a full round.

Most golfers I've ever played with would be walking toward the hole with their mark ready as their ball was rolling those 37 feet. Most of the time, even a crap putter like me, knows I've left that one is short enough to possibly have to mark it ... while hoping that maybe not and I can just tap it in. If some prefer to wait 40 feet from the hole as the putt they sense will be short (or long) rolls out, so what? I'm never going to be annoyed by something so trivial.

No one said you had to wait until the putt stops rolling to get address your putt. As soon as the ball leaves the putter, I fully expect anyone in my group to start moving, especially if their putt is on a similar line and trying to read the break. I don't expect anyone in my group to putt immediately while the ball is still moving or still and the chance presents itself for the ball at rest to be hit causing me a penalty for not marking my ball.

If you are referring to people lining up or addressing their ball while moving, it's done all the time, but I fail to see where someone who doesn't do that is contributing some arbitrary time to the pace of play because by that thought process, people are not always ready when it's their turn from the fairway or just off the green. I would argue people deciding which club to hit after their tee shot takes up more time than whatever their putting routine is once once the green.
well, i can go back and bring up many the points i made in the thread as to where and why and how i do believe that too much time is often enough wasted on and around greens. But then Id kind of be starting the whole thread all over again wouldn't I?
You disagree and thats cool.

Back