Which club type changes the least in your bag?

Hybrids and putter have the most staying power for me once I find one I like.

Even before I started working in golf it was irons. I'd upgrade drivers every few years. Since I got into golf I had my BB21 irons for 1.5 years, paradym irons for a year, and am now on P790s. Unless Taylormade gives me a reason to upgrade next year those should be in the bag for a few years. Drivers and fairway woods will be upgraded with every iteration that comes out

Putter by quite a bit. I don't go for the latest and greatest every time there's something new. Consistency matters.

When I finally settle?

Irons.

I went roughly 12 years, 7 years, and 5 years with previous sets of irons. The descending duration might be somewhat telling. Theortically. But, let's ignore that.

Only about 15 months into my present irons. Zero desire (currently) to move on from them.

Theoretically.

Putter by far, that's been going for 7-8 years. Then fairway woods. Used to be irons and driver too, but then THP happened.

Hybrids stay the longest.

Fairway woods and my hybrid go unchanged, but that is only because I have no "back ups" for them to swap in and out of the bag, unlike my driver, irons, wedges and putter.

For me, putter and fairway woods tend to stay in the bag the longest (assuming they continue to perform). Hybrids also tend to stay as long as they perform. Wedges change the most as they get used the most and wear out. Irons and driver could change out depending upon improvements in new offerings.

Pondering driver as I am still playing a driver that is now 5 or 6 generations old. Irons are only one generation old right now and performing well. It seems the technology changes really focus on driver and irons to tempt new purchases.
I'm always tinkering with my club mix. The one club that hasn't changed in years is my Evnroll Er5. I love the gravity grip on it, and don't really see changing to another putter anytime soon.

Fairway woods. I hit them too well to change.

Back