Which graphite shafts for 54 and 58 degree wedges?

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My irons have UST Recoil 760 ES Smacwrap F2 shafts in them. I probably could have gone with F3 but liked the feel of the F2. My wedges currently have DG S400 Tour Issue shafts in them (came standard that way). Considering switching shafts to be more like my iron shafts. My 8 iron currently carries 130 and rolls out to 140. My 7 iron carries 140 and rolls out to 150. Maybe go with shafts just like my irons except F3? Or???? The wedges are Cleveland RTX Zipcore. Also wondering about swing weight. I have standard size Lamkin Crossline 360 grips on irons and wedges.

I have Recoil 95 F3 in all of my Cleveland wedges, and couldn't be happier with them. I play R shafts in everything (R, F3, 5.5, etc), and my carry distances are pretty close to yours, maybe 10 yards longer at most. I've been playing the Recoils in the wedges for several years now, my last two sets of wedges (and I'm pretty close to due to renew them again), and I did pick up some full swing distance with them over the stock steel shafts, which actually helped my gapping.

Whatever @xThor uses. Those things felt amazing.

I play the same weight and flex in my irons and wedges - Recoil 95F4. I've played Recoils in my wedges that are slightly heavier (110g) in the same flex but nothing like the difference you have. The S400s are nearly twice the weight of your 760s. I'd look at the 760s and 780s, particularly if you like the performance you have with your irons.

BGT ZNE shaft in my lob wedge has been very good.

My Edison wedges that I have the honor of testing here have KBS PGI 90 gram R flex in them. They’re REALLY good!

A wise man once said “don’t over think it” - @DannyLe

I have iron matching Recoil 95 F3 in all my wedges.

I have Aerotech SteelFiber in mine. Matches my irons.

If you are happy with the Recoils, then I would continue that shaft through the wedges. I have been playing the same Recoil shafts in my wedges that are in my irons, and love the consistency and feel.

If you are happy with the Recoils, then I would continue that shaft through the wedges. I have been playing the same Recoil shafts in my wedges that are in my irons, and love the consistency and feel.
Did you have to do anything to the wedges to get the swingweight where you like it?

I have been seriously thinking of shafting my wedges with Recoils to match my irons, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet

Did you have to do anything to the wedges to get the swingweight where you like it?
I did not, but the swing weight was not noticeably different than I had with the DG spinner shafts I had previously. I just plugged them in. That said, you could add a bit if lead powder if you are concerned.

I moved to graphite to cure the issues with my elbow. Steelfiber FC115 in my irons worked so well, I replaced the steel shafts in my wedges with the same Steelfiber FC115 shafts.

I don’t believe I will ever go back to steel.

Steelfiber i110 regular works for me.

This thread is reading my mind!

I play KBS PGI 75g graphite iron shafts and am currently looking at buying either CBX 2 or CBX Zipcore 54 and 58 wedges. Carry numbers are about the same as the OP too.

After reading up on the stock Project X Catalyst 80 wedge shafts they seem like a good fit for me as I have quite a smooth swing and they are only a little bit heavier than my iron shafts.

My only real question is because my iron set are Cobra One Lengths, should I have the wedges custom fit to be the same length or stick with variable length.

My Edison wedges that I have the honor of testing here have KBS PGI 90 gram R flex in them. They’re REALLY good!

I have the PGI 90 S flex I think. I really liked it in the 49* but felt I hit the 59 higher than I wanted to.

I have been thinking about the shafts in my wedges also. I play whatever is stock which I think the ones I have are 115g and am playing 75g Darts in my irons. I do have pretty good control with the wedges though so part of me doesn’t want to mess with that.

This thread is reading my mind!

I play KBS PGI 75g graphite iron shafts and am currently looking at buying either CBX 2 or CBX Zipcore 54 and 58 wedges. Carry numbers are about the same as the OP too.

After reading up on the stock Project X Catalyst 80 wedge shafts they seem like a good fit for me as I have quite a smooth swing and they are only a little bit heavier than my iron shafts.

My only real question is because my iron set are Cobra One Lengths, should I have the wedges custom fit to be the same length or stick with variable length.
We could be twins!! I have OL in the PGI75's and I bought a Zipcore last year and have been pretty happy with it. I also have a Edel 55 that I really want to put a graphite shaft in. If I switch it out I would leave it std length for a wedge since that is what I have been playing at.

Going with Nippon Zelos shafts recommended by the guy at my club who retired from the LPGA Tour van.

Last edited:
I got my wedges back and put them in play last weekend. Still figuring out distances. I am getting more drop and stop as the lighter weight shafts allow me to create more spin. So, far, I like the change.

Back