GHIN 6.9
I'm looking to get a new set of irons this summer. Currently, my list is:
1. Mizuno MP-59
2. Cobra Amp Cell Pros
3. Callaway X-Forged
4. Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour
5. Titleist CB 712
6. Ping S56

I've hit the MP-59's, Rocketbladez, and S56's already, and prefer the MP-59's over the S56's over the Rocketbladez. What are your thoughts on my list of demo irons, and any I should add to the list? I'm looking to keep it at 1K or below, and I need them to be available in lefty. Thanks guys!

Swing background: I currently game R9's in Senior flex, hit them VERY high and straight. My miss is slightly thin and pulled right. Consistency is probably 80% of swings are fairly on target, another 5 to 10 percent are slightly off, and the rest are the aforementioned miss. I'm looking for something with workability and still a little bit of forgiveness, plus something that gets A LOT of spin off the face.

VR Pro Combos are pretty good

If you're a lefty, that might be a problem though.

Really you can't go wrong with any of those but I personally like the 59s and the S56s. The Cally x-forged are supposed to be amazing, but I think they are a touch pricier.

Personally I am a big fan of Cobra as of late. Bought the AMP driver last year and love it. Great feel, distance and control. I think my next set of irons in a few years will be whatever iteration of AMP irons are available at that time. Good luck choosing!

S56s---Own/Game/Love

Cobra Amp Cell Pros---Dream about them every night

Boy it's hard to recommend irons since golf equipment are such personal items that everyone values differently. You're also asking for a club that generates a lot of spin, that is created by technique first, equipment second.

Just some general observations I have made based on my own testing; I find Mizuno irons to be rather unforgiving and the MP59 was no exception. Spent a good deal of time on the LM with these irons and my overall and mishits left a lot ot be desired. I didn't spend nearly as much time with the Amp Cell's but they are very similar to the S3 Pro. The Amp Cell's will actually be slightly smaller, so I'd also have to wager these will be rather unforgiving but they are gorgeous to look at.

The Rocketbladez Tour are nice in the fact they are workable, and forgiving. The issue I have with these irons, as well as the Xhot Pro's are the lofts. I spent a good deal of time on the LM and did notice a drop in trajectory and spin in the mid to long irons. I also didn't care for the feel and sound at impact, but aesthetically this may be the closest comparison to your R9 set. I like the XForged and the S56. They have similar headshapes and topline. They're both workable and forgiving, for the smaller irons they are. I can't really recommend one over the other as I would bag either TBH. The cast vs. forged debate can now start, but if you're like me and cycle through irons every half decade the S56 durability would be a nice luxury. You mentioned having an issue missing thin. You may want to look at the XForged and checkout the leading edge. It's pretty sharp and should help pick up the ball and make some nice divots.

I'd say go Cobra Amp Cell Pros, but I'm obviously biased, based on the little background on your skill I'd say you have the game to play them and what a beautiful set of irons to look at!
BBY3e2xCQAANGTR.jpg

Boy it's hard to recommend irons since golf equipment are such personal items that everyone values differently. You're also asking for a club that generates a lot of spin, that is created by technique first, equipment second.

Just some general observations I have made based on my own testing; I find Mizuno irons to be rather unforgiving and the MP59 was no exception. Spent a good deal of time on the LM with these irons and my overall and mishits left a lot ot be desired. I didn't spend nearly as much time with the Amp Cell's but they are very similar to the S3 Pro. The Amp Cell's will actually be slightly smaller, so I'd also have to wager these will be rather unforgiving but they are gorgeous to look at.

The Rocketbladez Tour are nice in the fact they are workable, and forgiving. The issue I have with these irons, as well as the Xhot Pro's are the lofts. I spent a good deal of time on the LM and did notice a drop in trajectory and spin in the mid to long irons. I also didn't care for the feel and sound at impact, but aesthetically this may be the closest comparison to your R9 set. I like the XForged and the S56. They have similar headshapes and topline. They're both workable and forgiving, for the smaller irons they are. I can't really recommend one over the other as I would bag either TBH. The cast vs. forged debate can now start, but if you're like me and cycle through irons every half decade the S56 durability would be a nice luxury. You mentioned having an issue missing thin. You may want to look at the XForged and checkout the leading edge. It's pretty sharp and should help pick up the ball and make some nice divots.

I would prefer forged over cast, but I like the feel of the S56's as well. I agree with your assessment of the RBladez Tours. The #1 factor for me will be availability in Regular flex, and while I've seen the MP-59's, X-Forged, S56's, CBs, and Rbladez in R-Flex, I haven't seen the Amp Cell Pros unfortunately.

I would prefer forged over cast, but I like the feel of the S56's as well. I agree with your assessment of the RBladez Tours. The #1 factor for me will be availability in Regular flex, and while I've seen the MP-59's, X-Forged, S56's, CBs, and Rbladez in R-Flex, I haven't seen the Amp Cell Pros unfortunately.

Cast = forged my man. No difference or benefit of one over the other. Other than some sort of mental preference.

What blu gold said. Feel is important too though, but feel is a factor of many things. I have cast clubs that feel very soft. Softer than forged clubs I've demoed. Shaft has a lot to do with the overall feeling of softness. I was just reading somewhere that the biggest influence on club feel is shaft torque and that the less torque the softer a club feels. I can't verify that, but it does make sense that softness is an aggregation of factors and that torque might be an overlooked one.

I have a forged wedge....a Miura with a slightly heavier and firmer shaft than my cast clubs. The cast PW for instance feels softer, but the wedge has more feel somehow.

So play what fits and you like the feel of, rather than forged vs cast. Set preconceptions aside and go by what you feel and the numbers tell you.

Good luck.

Back