Who is the best YouTube instructor? And why is it Danny Maude?

I have been going down the path of looking for a new coach for 2024 and looking for online coaches. I came across Danny Maude a while ago, but started watching his stuff again after finding him on Skillest. Ending up watching the video below which unlocked me and revitalized my ball striking again. Just watched his newest video and I feel like he explains the swing in simple to understand ways and if you are able to video your swing and see what your doing you might be able to self guide yourself. Definitely heading down this path the next two months to see what it brings.

I’m a 77 year old in very good shape and just watched Danny Maude’s video “Easiest Swing in Golf for Senior Golfers”
The big revelation in there is the use of your feet to increase the rotation of your hips.

Like this video to get a feel for a proper through swing. Does Danny have a similar one for a backswing?

Last edited:
Several that have already been mentioned, with Clay Ballard being solid. You can find gems all over. Don't get stuck on 1-3 people.

Several that have already been mentioned, with Clay Ballard being solid. You can find gems all over. Don't get stuck on 1-3 people.

Thanks, for sharing @Wb3 There were some gems in the Sean Foley video. He said, most amateur's struggle to pivot correctly, the ones who really struggle, he'll have them drop the trail foot back just to get some sort of turn. Also, he suggested a tip like Jack Niklaus head turn (left ear to ball) to free up movement/turn in the backswing.

Last edited:
Danny Maude, Eric Cogorno, Mike Bender are all good. Danny Maude is especially good for short game including sand shots. The Mike Bender videos are hard to transfer to your game as he often uses a lot of training aids that are not readily duplicated at home. But, the concepts are easy to understand.

Craig Hanson, Bryson, Paddy, Chris Ryan, AMG, Maude, and Me and My Golf have all had an influence on my swing

I love the stream of random thoughts that come out of Paddy’s brain. Truth is I listen to way too many voices.

Maude fan as well. In part because of the less obnoxious presentation. Cogorno seems to make sense as well.

I have been finding though that I'm best served by taking maybe one concept and working on it a bit vs. trying to rebuild everything based on a bunch of videos. Have seen one or two folks on forums suggest the golf swing shouldn't be a mechanical movement taken from a list of a dozen things that you try to put together but rather a feel with just a few basic concepts. Getting said feel right will take care of all the minutia some of us agonize over (and turn to videos to fix). To that end I think the simple word 'trebuchet' is worth more than hours and hours of 'move the hands here' videos.

I got lessons last spring, and since then I really quit watching any instruction on YouTube, except for Danny Maude. I still watch some of his short game videos.

Danny Maude would be much better if he would just get to the point. His videos are way too long.

Just a side note here. I do find with my old ears, and how fast some if these instructors talk, it's hard for me to understand them.

What I have found is that with the sound off, and by turning on the closed captions, that if I set the speed to .75, (even .50) reading what they say is much easier.

Old age, what can I say.

Big fan of the Athletic Motion Golf guys. When I started, I was specifically trying to look for (A) what objectively happens and (B) big guys with good swings. More recently found Ed Schwent and his The Golf Sensei channel, which seems to have only been started just recently. However, things he touches on set off a lot of eureka moments for me. Kind of made me realize I just need to stop spending money on tee times and go find a coach.

I try to avoid YouTube coaching, or really any online tip-based coaching, but I came across this Danny Maude video when I was searching for info on a particular drill and found this video to be incredibly helpful at getting some of the clutter out of my head and simplifying my swing thoughts and swing. Great drills for those times when you're stuck inside and can't play.

I've been down many a rabbit holes, and most have helped me at one point or another. They also break my swing fairly often. Truthfully, it seems better to start at the beginning and do the fundamentals one-by-one instead of trying to self-assess your problem and then breaking something else. Most of my issues are caused by a different, unrelated reason than what I'm watching the video on.

Porzak Golf, Danny Maude, Clay Ballard, and Eric Cogorno I've all found valuable tips from. Lately, I've liked The Golf Sensei. Very back to basics and doesn't have the video marketing/profitability down. Older gentlemen who think most instructors talk too fast will really like him too. His videos are long but not pointlessly so, you'll probably hear things you needed to but didn't open that specific video for.

I’ve started liking this chap.He interviews many instructors working on their theories during the videos he produces

I’ve started liking this chap.He interviews many instructors working on their theories during the videos he produces

Sometimes I wonder if the guy from Be Better Golf ever just plays golf, or if he is in a perpetual cycle of clinics, coaches, and lessons? I don't know how it's possible to keep one's head free of excessive swing thoughts when you are constantly working with different folks who have different ideas about the swing, areas of focus, feels, thoughts, etc.

I liked Brendan's channel in the beginning... it was helpful for me to discover that there was more than one way to do things and I found out about a lot of coaches through his channel, but this was like the year before the pandemic. In hindsight, I think watching all of his videos set me back a long ways in learning the fundamentals, because I was mixing a lot of the held-off turn-based GG/Milo swings with handsy Malaska stuff and stack and tilt concepts. It was a mess.

Sometimes I wonder if the guy from Be Better Golf ever just plays golf, or if he is in a perpetual cycle of clinics, coaches, and lessons? I don't know how it's possible to keep one's head free of excessive swing thoughts when you are constantly working with different folks who have different ideas about the swing, areas of focus, feels, thoughts, etc.

It became obvious to me that this is his niche now. Just endless loop of hawking training aids, methods, and coaching. Because he has an audience, coaches/companies/etc use him to get featured, and it goes in a cycle like that, without any real golf. When he finally started throwing a javelin, I had to unfollow and unsubscribe from his stuff. I mean, for me, there's a line you cross when you just start getting into bozo territory. My man threw his javelin across the rubicon, haha.

To be clear, I have no problem with people making golf content that partners with products or services. Good examples from small channels are Adam from NASG's partnership with SwingTweaks or Drew Cooper with NextGear and Swing Catalyst. Their golf is still the focus and they share that experience as their primary content stream. Hell, even @OldandStiff puts out great stuff but it's still mostly on course shorts and his youtube stuff led me here to THP without even having a CTA about this place.

I'm sure if he had to make one swing one time for something important, he would use what he owns, it may have residual remnants from his travels but probably not. But the more he explores the instruction world the easier it may become being quickly adaptable because the diversity reinforces quick commitments, no judgements, just do, where feel becomes pretty close to real, so it becomes a feedback loop.

the serious comment...echoing what others have said, Padraig "Paddy" Harrington is amazing. I think it was his first video where he got into the grip...and his "if you have a bad grip you can't play good golf. If you are trying to get better and have a bad grip you should just quit"...not a direct quote but close enough...was so true. Lot of instructors won't tell things like that.

He then does a great job of showing...repeatedly...the grip and why, and also acknowledging when/where other grips can work. I tend to go rewatch it from time to time just to check if I have gotten into a bad habit or three. He has many other great ones as well...currently spending lots of time with his clubface control video.

On a less serious note...at times my favorite instructor is Club Pro Guy, sometimes known as CPG. You could do much worse at learning the game than watching his videos...and doing as close to opposite as possible. His "my punchout game is elite" video is hilarious but also great at showing how to do everything wrong, or his "stack and jilt" chip method...and of course who can forget his signature 7-4-7 swing thought...in his own hilarious way, he does actually give good instruction..."don't do anything I just showed"

Back