Why are there not more Jason Williams type players?

Lifelong, suffering Sac Kings fan here and that's an interesting question. I always liked the edge Williams brought to the game, he arguably had some of the best handles the game has ever seen and his passing skills were phenomenal. To your original question though, I think the street style of play is typically frowned upon when kids are coming up so I think that has something to do with it. I think Williams was a good blend of the 'traditional' and street game so chances are we won't see another player with skills to rival his.

not sure about where your located but AAU has always been huge (had a cousin that played in mid to late 90's) especially in texas. I think with better access to media it seems that it wasn't as big back then.

Aau has been around. But not to the extent it is now. It used to be for the truly better players now every hs kid plays. Go back 15-20 years and find the number of aau teams compared to now it is absolutely insane.
My point was more that kids are now playing organized/coached basketball from the time they are 6 years old. They are not just showing up at the local park and playing anymore. Everything is overcoached and their is less creativeness to the way players play now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aau has been around. But not to the extent it is now. It used to be for the truly better players now every hs kid plays. Go back 15-20 years and find the number of aau teams compared to now it is absolutely insane.
My point was more that kids are now playing organized/coached basketball from the time they are 6 years old. They are not just showing up at the local park and playing anymore. Everything is overcoached and their is less creativeness to the way players play now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see where your coming from now, totally understand your comparison now.

Nasty. Looks like he jumps fine to me :wink:

[video=youtube;s9Hb-hpkDYc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Hb-hpkDYc[/video]

Back