Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

Thanks for the response. When I went back to the TS-1 and hit them side by side with my Titleist T-100s, I immediately noticed how much higher I hit the TS-1s. The 6 iron is a moonshot, but not a high spinning shot but a high, lots of velocity shot that carries.
I used the shafts to get a higher launch. The R2 shafts launch about 1* higher than the Rs

I used the shafts to get a higher launch. The R2 shafts launch about 1* higher than the Rs
You can't make this stuff up. After deciding to stick with the TS1's and really hitting them well. the 8 iron face concaves today!!! Cracked the face of a 3 wood once before but an iron!!!!! So, I am going to do a new full set build with the same shaft (SF 95s ss1x -perfect for me). TS1's are still available; or do I just move the TS1 IM? Seems like performance and will be similar. I loved the soft feel of the TS1, 6-9 (hollow) but the PW and G a tad stiffer (not hollow heads). It's all about feel at this point. Will the TS1 IM be a similar feel? And if so, perhaps all the way through since the PW and G are hollow. Any help would be much appreciated as I have to get going - I have no 8 iron :-(

You can't make this stuff up. After deciding to stick with the TS1's and really hitting them well. the 8 iron face concaves today!!! Cracked the face of a 3 wood once before but an iron!!!!! So, I am going to do a new full set build with the same shaft (SF 95s ss1x -perfect for me). TS1's are still available; or do I just move the TS1 IM? Seems like performance and will be similar. I loved the soft feel of the TS1, 6-9 (hollow) but the PW and G a tad stiffer (not hollow heads). It's all about feel at this point. Will the TS1 IM be a similar feel? And if so, perhaps all the way through since the PW and G are hollow. Any help would be much appreciated as I have to get going - I have no 8 iron :-(
The TS1 IMs have a harder face material and are supposedly a bit longer than the TS1s. My experience is I get similar distances however, my driver swing speed is 85, so I’m not going to cave in a face anytime soon. Probably not enough swing speed to see any difference between one or the other. I may reshaft the IMs at some point, but I’m liking the TS1s since I reshafted them.

Popeye,

Reading your reviews of the TS-1 several years ago got me into them with SF I95s shafts. Great for a while, not sure why, but went to T-100s with SF 110s shafts (been fit several times and the 110s are always in the mix). Good for a while but struggling last few months - starting to think the 110s is a bit too much as I get older. Last two weeks pulled out TS-1 with SF 95s and they are clearly easier for me to handle than the T100s (higher, straighter and a bit longer). My question is do you think the TS-1 IM offers enough improvement to upgrade from the TS-1? In particular, are they softer (I know the face is different)? I know another member says more forgiving. Can't see spending the $ for a minimal upgrade. Thanks
I would say the biggest improvement may be in feel. The PW and GW are certainly ripe for the upgrade as they are now hollow like the rest of the set.
The lighter shaft can make a big difference as a round progresses. Swinging a 110g shaft can wear out a golfer. You are probably swinging the 95 a bit quicker as well. Years ago I did a 10 golfer study with 85, 95 and 105 g shafts. Ever6 single one of them hit the 85 g the furthest and shockingly the tightest dispersion. But almost every one of them stated they wouldn't be able to handle an 85g shaft before the test.

This thread has be dormant for a while.....But some time back I posted that I got ahold of a set of Maltby PTM irons, shafted them up and love them! These are the satin finish. Now I'm in the market for a set of the BLACK PTM's. I think Popeye reviewed them several pages back. If anybody has a set of the PTM / DBM black heads in decent shape that they'd like to get rid of, please let me know.....
Thx.

Last edited:
This thread has be dormant for a while.....But some time back I posted that I got ahold of a set of PTM's, shafted them up and love them! These are the satin finish. Now I'm in the market for a set of the BLACK PTM's. I think Popeye reviewed them several pages back. If anybody has a set of the PTM / DBM black heads in decent shape that they'd like to get rid of, please let me know.....
Thx.
I don’t see anything called PTM on their site. Are these an older model?

Yes.....they were in their line about 4-5 years ago, before they came out with the TS-series. As soon as they started offering the TS lines, they dropped the PTM's. Here's a picture of the model I have with the satin finish. I'm looking for the black DBM finish......
1712364173051.png

Yes.....they were in their line about 4-5 years ago, before they came out with the TS-series. As soon as they started offering the TS lines, they dropped the PTM's. Here's a picture of the model I have with the satin finish. I'm looking for the black DBM finish......
View attachment 9254661
Nice looking. They have always had some nice looking heads.

I just posted a mini comparison of the Maltby KE4 Max against the Callaway AI Smoke driver in another thread. Both had identical Maltby MPF Pro Series shafts (65gr, stiff flex). I took them out to the range yesterday. While Smoke delivered slightly higher club head speed and a better AOA and backspin numbers, the KE4 produced better smash factor numbers and slightly more distance. Neither club outperformed the other and both are as good as any driver I've ever owned.

What does it mean if I have Premiere pricing? Spending too much money on equipment?

I just ordered KE4 4H and 5H with the 50g Vista Pro R2 shafts. I’m hoping I see the same results with these as the I did with the irons. I’m killing my TS1 irons with the same shafts.

My backup/travel bag is all Maltby except for putter. Years ago I played the DBM forged irons which were forgiving and the diamondized black coating held up very well. I don't have the swing speed any more but I loved those irons. If you live in Ohio or western Pennsylvania check out their brick and mortar operation. Their customer service is very good.

My backup/travel bag is all Maltby except for putter. Years ago I played the DBM forged irons which were forgiving and the diamondized black coating held up very well. I don't have the swing speed any more but I loved those irons. If you live in Ohio or western Pennsylvania check out their brick and mortar operation. Their customer service is very good.
It's a 6 1/2 hour drive to Newark, OH, but if I ever do another fitting in my life it would more than likely be with Golfworks and Maltby equipment.

My hybrids and fairway woods are Maltby KE4. And my Sunday bag, which I rarely use, has my old KE4 Tour + irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been debating on going down the Maltby rabbit hole. I'm just not sure which one I should go for. Any suggestions?

It’s only a 6 or 7 iron in each.
I also have a new ke4 ist pro 3w head and max milled 56* wedge-these are for sale, but I’d loan.

STi-2s were solid clubs for me. Of course, they were the only option for lefties. There are some really pretty options for righties.

Tentatively thinking of bringing a Maltby putter as a backup with me to the Bag Boy Championship, do you think that would cause a stir?

Does going TS3 in 5-6, and then TS4 in 7-PW make sense for someone coming from Mizuno 919 hot metals and little blade experience?

Does going TS3 in 5-6, and then TS4 in 7-PW make sense for someone coming from Mizuno 919 hot metals and little blade experience?
That is an interesting thought. I compared a TS3, TS1 and TS1-IM 6 irons last fall. I looked at TS4s, but didn’t build a test club. I felt like the TS3 was more forgiving than the TS1/IM, but it had lower ball flight and less spin. Maybe if I put in an A (R2) flex 50g shaft like I put in the TS1s I’m playing now it might be a better fit in the bag. I hit the TS1 6 iron OK, but having a 6 that is a little more forgiving might be a good thing.

That is an interesting thought. I compared a TS3, TS1 and TS1-IM 6 irons last fall. I looked at TS4s, but didn’t build a test club. I felt like the TS3 was more forgiving than the TS1/IM, but it had lower ball flight and less spin. Maybe if I put in an A (R2) flex 50g shaft like I put in the TS1s I’m playing now it might be a better fit in the bag. I hit the TS1 6 iron OK, but having a 6 that is a little more forgiving might be a good thing.
I kind of like the idea of the split, because I can at atleast if I buy the 7-iron TS4 and try it out, if I can't hit it, at least then it will become like a training aid to work on hitting my irons more consistently.

I kind of like the idea of the split, because I can at atleast if I buy the 7-iron TS4 and try it out, if I can't hit it, at least then it will become like a training aid to work on hitting my irons more consistently.
The TS4s had a higher MPF than the TS1s or TS1-IMs, marginally so. I was told the IMs have a hotter face.

Back