Why did you start playing golf?

Maric

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I never really played growing up, but when I retired I moved to Myrtle Beach. Golf was a great way to meet new people and get some exercise. Little did I know it would become a passion.

My grandpa, it was an everlasting bond I had with him.

When I was a kid my older cousins would go & since I looked up to them I wanted to learn to play.

I started on a bet with friends in high school. We didn't have golf, only for phys ed so we checked out some clubs and sneaked onto a private course and played all the holes the clubhouse couldn't see. After that I was hooked. We then would check out clubs and went to the local municipal courses.

My roommate in the Marine Corps was always playing and got me into it.

Father-in-law was a scratch golfer and did not speak English. It was a way fro us to bond. Worked out very well for us both.

I had picked it up in my early 20s, but then stopped when I had kids. Fast forward 20 years and my two boys suddenly took interest in golf 2 years back. They are now 15 and 19; and I get so much enjoyment being able to get back in the game and play with them. Its been a hoot.

Had a buddy in high school that worked at a driving range. I'd meet him there when he was getting done sometimes but would occasionally have to wait on him.

The guy that ran the place got tired of me walking around the shop touching everything he was trying to sell and gave me a 7 iron and a bucket of balls to get me out of his way. An older gent on his way out to the parking lot stopped and showed me some semblance of a grip and after about 28 balls shanked, missed entirely or sliced, I lucked into a good swing and struck one 170 yards right over the 150 marker I was aiming at. The shop owner who was watching apparently, shouted out "Yeah, like that, kid." That felt good.

Then I ignored the game entirely for about 15 years because I was way more interested in hanging at the beach and chasing girls.
🙃 🤣

Into S&M the way I play! 😜

Back in the 80s a buddy got me started and I was hooked. Played for about a decade, then when all of my golf buddies left the area I stopped playing. In 2017 I played a few times and got the bug again, haven't looked back since.

A friend of mine talked me into trying it. I think I was hooked from the first good hits.

I was "tricked" into playing by my cousin. I never had any interest in the game till then. I played baseball, football, and basketball growing up. .

My cousin on the other hand was a very good, single digit player. 5, or 6 handicap I believe.

He talked me into giving the game a try. Said it was easier than it looked. He lied to me.

I tried the game. A couple weeks later I tried it again. Then started going to the driving range on my own. What can I say? Once the game got a firm hold on me, I became a slave to it.

Thing is, although I was hooked on the game, I never took it seriously. Serious enough that is to get really good at it. It has always been a fun, relaxing past time for me.

I was born into it. Everyone on my Mom’s side of the family is a golfer and my Uncle is a PGA Pro. I was converted from lefty to righty and taking lessons before I could count to 100. Unfortunately, I was a stubborn child and decided golf was too hard and frustrating to really practice at it. Now that I’ve entered my 30’s I’m trying to get out there and get swings in whenever I can.

Started off as a caddie as a way to pay for College and really fell in love with the game and learned by watching other hacks :ROFLMAO:

I’d shoot pool on Mondays with my work buddies, Wednesday was their golf day, It took several years but they finally talked me into joining them. Not long after I gave up pool and bars all together, now I play golf three times a week.

It was between 1993-1994 maybe. My jet (C-141B) was broke down in Torrejon. I was a flight engineer on it and the jet had a leaking pitch trim actuator. (Not good to fly with so we were waiting for parts for a few days.) BRACC (base realignment closure commission) had decided that Torrejon was not a viable base for US forces to keep up anymore and had closed it down. There was nothing to do except hang out in billeting and watch spanish tv.

One of the other engineers played golf and I decided, since there was nothing else to do, I would give it a shot. I enjoyed it and started trying to play regularly from there but I was young, poor, and had a family to take care of and they came first so golf took a back seat to my life.

My dad took me golfing when I was around 10 years old. I got my passion for the game from him. :)

father started to take me when I was 7. But I really didn't get in to it until I was probably around 12

Why?

Apparently because I did not have enough stuff in my life that was incredibly frustrating, so I took up golf. :banghead:

I was watching Jack Nicklaus when he won his last masters by chance,and for the first time i could actually sense the energy from this game.very next day just went out and purchased a set of Bob Murphy at Kmart.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Grandpa played. He was really good, and he was cool.

I wanted to be like and hang out with Grandpa.

When I was 50, the doctor told me I needed exercise, fresh air, and sunshine. I tried to think of an activity that would keep me outside for a good five hours + (I like to practice before I play), and golf fit the bill. I walk 99% of my rounds and the cardiologist told me that my fitness level for my age group (soon to be 65), is "outstanding". I am in better shape now than I was when I was 50.

Saw it on tv as Wide World Of Golf as a kid. Got my hands on an old club and a couple of old balls and started hitting them in the pasture. Fell in love with hitting the balls and started playing when I was 15.

Got a wild hair one day and now I can’t stop.

My boss invited me when I was stationed in Germany. I hacked my way to a 140 or something like that.

Back