Like other people have said, not much competing for my time at 7AM on a weekend. Also, I like the predictability. I know that I'll be done in around 3 1/2 hours if I'm one of the first groups off. Around here, the afternoons are a gamble. You might have the course to yourself, but you also might be going off behind a bachelor party.

Since I'm a silver lining kind of guy, the benefits of following the bachelor party are the following: 1.) when you catch up to them, they are good about sharing their alkyhol. 2.) you find boatloads of usually new balls they have overlooked or simply dropped out of their bags. 3.) occasionally, as I did once, you find money they dropped. (I tried to return it, but they refused, saying I was being rewarded for my good intention.)

Leaves me more time in the dsy to spend with the family (or play 36 holes)

This...

Also, a morning round is typically 4-4.5hrs and anything after 9am (until dusk) is 5+hrs. Afternoons are way slower on all local courses. Especially now during high school golf season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our early times are due to the heat for sure, also if some people are like me, I can get off 18 before my wife complains about me wasting too much of the weekend. Don't mind playing in the afternoon but I do love being out there as the world comes to life.

several answers have been given that fit me. At my home course it is $69 in the morning and probably 25 after 2pm.

Demand is obviously higher in the morning for a slew of reasons, but main ones: Weather cooler and less wind in the morning. Family/friend commitments: if I leave at and am home around noon-1pm then I have the rest of the day to be somewhat social not on the golf course (or more realistically come home, take a nap and watch golf/football). Leaving at 1pm and coming home at 6:30-7 would not go as well.

First off means a fast enjoyable round and also time to get back and spend with the family.

I was talking with the starter the other day. The course was booked solid until 10:30AM, then only three tee times were booked after that. Supply and demand.

To an extent it's almost like booking an airline, you get to a certain point on flights that you know people don't take so you entice them to take the flight with lower rates.

I'd much rather start in the afternoon and play as the temps drop so it's cooler when I end than it is when I begin than to start in the morning when it's cool and have it steadily warm up until it's hotter than the 7th pit of hell when I'm finishing up and tired.

I like early morning.By the time it gets really hot I am eating lunch somewhere.

Reading all this makes m glad I am not married with kids. Not sue I could live in a world where I don't get to golf anytime I want.

I’m an early bird by nature and enjoy the quiet of the morning. There’s something wonderful about the way the sunlight looks/feels at that time of day and I like being out there alone as I’m an introvert and require time to myself to stay balanced.

It can be challenging to keep an eye on the ball on the east facing holes, though. My home course plays mostly north/south so that helps.

Reading all this makes m glad I am not married with kids. Not sue I could live in a world where I don't get to golf anytime I want.

Well... from my POV (22 years married, kids are 21 and 16), it’s not that I don’t get to golf anytime I want. It’s that I WANT to spend time with them.

Wifey has never once given me a hard time about heading out to play a round. Maybe I’m just lucky. I often choose to play early since she’s still asleep anyway and it beats sitting around the house.

Here during the summer it's just too %&^% hot to play during the afternoon. When the ocean breezes come in in the early evening you can get 9 holes in before it gets dark. The rest of the year I prefer afternoon golf, cheaper and fewer players.

I am usually one of the first 2 or 3 times of the day.
1) round is guaranteed under 4h.
2) I still have a huge Saturday afterwards with my family, or time to get stuff done
3) It's quiet, peaceful, and pristine

I've learned that theres no better way to waste a weekend than a 11am tee time. Midday golf = all day golf.

In this area it is a much faster round if you are first off. Saturday afternoon rounds can be miserably long.

How many of you early birds actually get home and spend time with family and how many get home and nap until 2:30pm?

I am not a morning person, and even less so, a morning golfer. My body needs a several hours of movement to loosen up to really be able to swing without pain.

Back