Why Two Sets of Irons or Complete Bags

JonMA1

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I've been considering another set of irons. My gamers are great... love them. But I wouldn't mind have another set that are totally different just 'cause. Maybe something older. Steel shafts instead of graphite. Maybe more of a players club, maybe the opposite end of the spectrum like the Cleveland Halo irons.

I believe there are a few out there who have different sets and even different bags setup. Why do it? Is it for the variety? Do different courses require a different set? Travel? Backup set?

What's your story?

i've done the two bag thing a couple of times now...for different reasons. but after a while, it was like "how did i sell myself on this?"

I have two complete bags. One is from the 1990s, the other from 2008. Same brand, but different models. Both were game improvement models.

Several months ago, I bought a set of blades. They were fitted to me. Didn't need them. I just wanted a set of blade irons to play with. I did well with them, in as much as my scores didn't get any worse, or better than my old timers.

I eventually lost interest in them, and wound up giving them to a young relative who had a much better game than I have. She has done extremely well with them.

Ironically my current gamers are my 1990s bag. They just feel comfortable.

Paging @OldandStiff - I think he has 10 bags so he doesn't wear one out every other month with all the golf he gets to play

and yes, I'm totally jealous!

But at least he has a legit reason - wear and tear

I don’t have two full sets but I could see doing it because it is fun. I do have two sets of irons right now but generally play the same set.

I play game improvement irons already. If I got a second set I would get something aspirational and pretty. The last second set I bought was Titleist 718 CB's. They fit that mold beautifully.

I have two sets of irons as I bought one brand new a month before I got into the Morgan Cup. I play both because I like both. Need a system for when one gets pulled, although I know which ones get pulled when it matters

I still have my Mizuno MP20 MMC that I had before the quest cup. It will stay in the garage just in case for a while and then eventually get sold...maybe.

Just two bags?! :ROFLMAO:

I keep several different bags, and way too many wedges and putters. I can't totally explain my "hobby".

I usually have a Mizuno bag, a Callaway bag, and a couple of "guest" bags, as well as a Sunday bag.

We have over 50 courses here in The Villages, so I often have a "Championship" bag with longer clubs and an "Executive" bag with more wedges and/or smaller gaps.

Sometimes I'll buy portions of an iron set like 8-GW or 7-5, trying to maximize accuracy or forgiveness.

For instance I have;

Apex Pro 8-GW
Apex 21 5-GW
Apex 21 DCB 5-7

I mix and match based on my current skill level and course.

I'm experimenting with the New Level irons right now and I'm having some good results. My Mizuno MP225s are calling though...

If I played more competitive golf instead of retirement golf, I would stick with just one set...MAYBE.

Paging @OldandStiff - I think he has 10 bags so he doesn't wear one out every other month with all the golf he gets to play

and yes, I'm totally jealous!

But at least he has a legit reason - wear and tear
To keep them from wearing out!? :unsure:

That's good. Let me write that one down.

My family lives in CA. I keep a set there, so when I visit my parents, I can play a few rounds with my Dad and avoid having to travel with my go-to set.

I have 2 full bags. The second one is for travel and I’ll use it for sim golf in the winter to give my gamers a break.

I have multiple bags because I keep my old irons and for better or worse, the new irons have some similarity to the old. My 2015 bag is now permanately in my home in Florida. No hauling clubs and I'm comfortable. My 2018 bag is now in my garage and I hit balls with them almost daily. My 2022 bag is in my weight room and used only for my Saturday game; keeps the grips and grooves fresh and extended.

its also important to me when I get on the first tee that I'm not thinking did I bring the right clubs. game is hard enough without that thought.

I have four sets:

1. Current Cobra clubs, thanks to THP and Cobra/PUMA Golf
2. Set I just used previously (Cobra woods, Mizuno MP-18SC irons)
3. Irons that I refinished and built up, currently on loan to my brother (Mizuno MP-57)
4. Fun, older set (laminated woods and 1980's Campbell irons)

I'm hanging on to my old clubs because they could be handy in the case someone needs to borrow a set, and I honestly still like them. The older laminated woods set are fun to bring out every once in awhile for a complete change of pace; I picked these up for around $20 a few years ago. Everything was purchased used, other than my current Cobra set.

I just replaced my Florida set for when I'm down at the in-laws (Maltby MMB-17's to Ben Hogan Players combo).
Home set is one but I can see a second set to help with confidence issues or validate the main set.

Have several sets of irons- Mizuno MP32 's that my girlfriend keeps for me when I travel down there for the winter. A set of Titleist 660's used strictly for range practice, and my gamers Miura baby blades. All 3 sets are fitted sets as far as shafts, lie angles etc.

I have a second golf bag, several drivers, putters, and a couple sets of irons but not a full independent built out second bag as of yet. I feel like that is going to change in the future since I have a lot of pondering going on now.

I have two complete sets And some extra wedge sets, putters, driving irons, woods, and shafts.

as for why I have two it’s because having three seemed like too many.

I‘m thinking of putting together a second set.
I’m playing the Halos in my sig, but a set of PXG 0311 XPs arrived today, and they’re going to get a 60 day trial to decide whether I like them as much as I remember. If I do, I’ll keep both. If not I’ll stick with one bag.
I love the Halos, but always regretted selling the XPs, there was no reason to do so, other than the price I was offered when my buddy saw the Halos in my bag.
Giving them a second chance was an itch I had to scratch.

Last edited:
Personally I think that it's natural to have two sets, because what THPer hasn't replaced their bag with something shiny and new? The natural thing to do when you get shiny and new is put the previous clubs in a second bag in the corner "just in case". Am i wrong?

I just bought a 2nd set of irons off ebay. I blame @Scooby45 for reminding me how much I enjoyed hitting my old Hogans Radials. :ROFLMAO:

I already have a partial set but they're in really bad shape. So I've been on the lookout for a set that's in good shape and I finally found one at a great price. I was considering it last night and finally pulled the trigger tonight. Not sure yet if I'll put together a 2nd bag with vintage woods or just use the irons once in a while along with my current hybrids and driver. No doubt they'll make for some f-ugly golf, but it should be fun.

I have a few complete bags and many other iron sets and extra clubs just because it's fun. There is my gamer bag, Hogan Experience bag, vintage bag and 90's HS golf bag. I'll rotate different iron sets through the gamer bag and vintage bag.

After we get moved I’m going to keep 2 complete bags. One at the house in Stillwater and another at our current location. Save hauling clubs back and forth weekly.

If you had two full bags... and both were filled with stuff that you really like... wouldn’t you be torn from time to time in knowing which set to use..? And even out on the course - wouldn’t there be times when you wished you had the other set (or another club)...?

I just bought a 2nd set of irons off ebay. I blame @Scooby45 for reminding me how much I enjoyed hitting my old Hogans Radials. :ROFLMAO:

I already have a partial set but they're in really bad shape. So I've been on the lookout for a set that's in good shape and I finally found one at a great price. I was considering it last night and finally pulled the trigger tonight. Not sure yet if I'll put together a 2nd bag with vintage woods or just use the irons once in a while along with my current hybrids and driver. No doubt they'll make for some f-ugly golf, but it should be fun.
Yes!!!

Back