Will a more flexible shaft launch higher?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
In general, Will a more flexible shaft launch higher?

In general, yes, but...

Generally speaking yes. But it most depends on where in the shaft the flexibility occurs. Lower in the shaft, higher launch typically.

in theory yes, and for some people i think they'll definitely see that. but for others, it may not.

i know listening to some other sources they talk a lot about tip deflection. the way i've understood it (which may be totally wrong) is if the player loads the softer shaft a lot, the tip may deflect a lot and not recover in time, so the head hasn't recovered to deflect the opposite direction and you strike it low on the face. in a fitting a shaft with a stiffer tip that doesn't deflect as much can move the strike higher on the face, which would actually increase launch and decrease spin, whereas a low strike typically decreases launch and increases spin.

It all depends on how the golfer delivers the club head back to impact and also depends on what you would consider a "softer" shaft. A lot of people assume a shaft is "softer" based on the CPM or the frequency of the shaft. That is only one part of the equation.

Back to the original question, there are several scenarios that will happen:

1. Golfer will launch it lower.
2. Golfer will launch/spin the same but "feel" can be off.
3. Golfer will launch it higher.
4. They hit it the same and don't feel any difference.

With the availability of launch monitors, the best bet is to get on them and see what happens. Fitting is the key to maximizing distance and dispersion.

Danny

@DannyLe is completely right.
Add that lag is altered with something like this as well. Many golfers will create more, which will alter the loft lower and keep the club head slightly more open.

I have actually seen this stated quite a bit this morning as I have been researching the possibility of soft stepping my iron shafts. But after reading the post from @DannyLe , that will likely remain just a possibility.

Love when @DannyLe answers a question.

I'm an example of a couple of those. With irons I certain softnesses definitely have me launch the ball not more. More typically in line with stated expectations. With driver, not so much. I tend to get really flat trajectories with some softer ones. Depends on how I react to them. Like a soft handled/butt driver shaft feels crazy soft to me regardless of the rest. Feels like the end to end deflection is huge, and I hit them differently partly because that feel surely makes me swing them slightly differently.

Add that lag is altered with something like this as well. Many golfers will create more, which will alter the loft lower and keep the club head slightly more open.
as one that has been told I have no lag.......:unsure:

Hoping there is an open bay at the Box store this evening so I can try the LTDx and R and S stock shafts.

I have actually seen this stated quite a bit this morning as I have been researching the possibility of soft stepping my iron shafts. But after reading the post from @DannyLe , that will likely remain just a possibility.
Soft stepping irons is completely different than a softer flex. If you are on the cusp of a different flex, the soft step will help manage that "feel" better.

Danny

Love when @DannyLe answers a question.

I'm an example of a couple of those. With irons I certain softnesses definitely have me launch the ball not more. More typically in line with stated expectations. With driver, not so much. I tend to get really flat trajectories with some softer ones. Depends on how I react to them. Like a soft handled/butt driver shaft feels crazy soft to me regardless of the rest. Feels like the end to end deflection is huge, and I hit them differently partly because that feel surely makes me swing them slightly differently.

Some people do not like the "feel" of the softer butt. Some shaft designs do this so the mid and tip section is very stiff compared to the butt section. This "can" cause a flatter ball flight.

Danny

Soft stepping irons is completely different than a softer flex. If you are on the cusp of a different flex, the soft step will help manage that "feel" better.

Danny

Thank you. I have Recoil 780 F4 in my irons (Hogan PTx Pro) and I think I may be getting closer to needing F3 which was why I started thinking about it. I have read a couple of different things regarding playing length after soft stepping. Some things say to butt trim to desired playing length, others say not to as that will assist with the softer feel. I would rather butt trim to at least retain the current playing length even though, in reality, I would probably be ok going .5" shorter than current playing length (Hogan's fitting tool says I should be at .5" under standard). Would it negate any of the softer feel by butt trimming .5" to 1" after soft stepping?

Some people do not like the "feel" of the softer butt. Some shaft designs do this so the mid and tip section is very stiff compared to the butt section. This "can" cause a flatter ball flight.

Danny
This was a really popular design a bit ago with the soft hands and then firm throughout. I remember Miyazaki Black and others going this route in lighter weights and making them very stable.

@DannyLe dropping knowledge like it was candy at Halloween. I love THP.

This was a really popular design a bit ago with the soft hands and then firm throughout. I remember Miyazaki Black and others going this route in lighter weights and making them very stable.

i think that's my preferred profile.

Thank you. I have Recoil 780 F4 in my irons (Hogan PTx Pro) and I think I may be getting closer to needing F3 which was why I started thinking about it. I have read a couple of different things regarding playing length after soft stepping. Some things say to butt trim to desired playing length, others say not to as that will assist with the softer feel. I would rather butt trim to at least retain the current playing length even though, in reality, I would probably be ok going .5" shorter than current playing length (Hogan's fitting tool says I should be at .5" under standard). Would it negate any of the softer feel by butt trimming .5" to 1" after soft stepping?

There are two designs.

1. Discrete shafts (this can be both 0.355" taper and 0.370" parallel) designed specifically for the iron head. 2 iron (41.0") - Wedge (37.0") for us in 1/2" increments. If you soft step, you take the 2 iron shaft and install in 3 iron head and so on. This will make the shaft play a touch softer. This is on our Recoil 65/80/95/110 and Recoil Prototype 95/110/125.

2. Unitize shafts that are one blank. Recoil 780 F4 ES Smacwrap is a good example. It is a 41" parallel blank that is tip trimmed for each club head. We recommend 0.0" for 2 iron on down to 4.0" for the wedges. In this instance, you would tip trim less if you wanted to make it play a touch softer.

Danny

So all things equal this could be a large factor in why everything I hit blocked right when I was using my dad's old SR flex clubs? Very interesting and something I wish I knew more about 8 months ago. I had my suspicions.

So all things equal this could be a large factor in why everything I hit blocked right when I was using my dad's old SR flex clubs? Very interesting and something I wish I knew more about 8 months ago. I had my suspicions.
The majority of the time I see a right miss with a softer shaft that does not fit that golfer. Don't get me wrong, there will be some that will have a two way miss with a softer shaft.

Danny

The majority of the time I see a right miss with a softer shaft that does not fit that golfer. Don't get me wrong, there will be some that will have a two way miss with a softer shaft.

Danny
Thanks Danny I appreciate the knowledge. Thankfully I’ve now replaced all of my dads old clubs that had sr flex shafts in them. I still have a right miss but now it’s a playable fade instead of a banana slice. So I’ve still got a little work to do

My brief contribution is to pay attention to torque even though companies measure it differently - a low torque shaft will feel tight and if it does not fit you, even if lighter in weight or lower in flex, you will fight it by trying to swing faster and out of your norm, and well ... things won't go well.

Danny
And if someone struggles with the hooks, this can assist.

Back