Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

Those that have had a direct comparison to the c300’s, am I correct in saying these are slightly longer in blade length, and narrower than the C300?

I don't own the c300 but my memory from holding one in store is no material difference. Can't say how the two play vs each other but they look nearly identical. I think the store I was in had the c300 even in the Tour 90 shaft. The heavier 105 shaft was in the forged. No offense to the c300 cast, but I did not come away wanting the new model. The look of the forged did make me look twice.

The search is on for a set of these with KBS stiff. Probably only need 5-GW.

No thanks. I like steel

I am still putting the C200s through the rounds this season, and am still quite happy with the distance I am seeing out of them. All sorts of forgiveness, with mishits seeing very little loss in distance.

The one thing I am noticing on the set in my bag however, is the ferules are starting to come loose. I suspect when I bought mine used they were a set that had been disassembled/reassembled at some point in time. Gaps are showing up on a couple of the head/ferules, and I need to get it repaired at some point.

I love my c200s just work great, I'll no doubt replace them at some point, right now tho I'm happy as a pig in **** with my irons

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Shot a PB with these bad boys yesterday. Mine aren’t going anywhere.

I can't tell the group how close I was to pulling the KSB tour 90 stiff in my first couple of weeks. The likely reason I didn't was simply a local golf shop suggesting I play them for a few months first. Before I got to that point, I installed Dri-tac lite mid-size grips on these irons and raised the swing weight from a C9 /D0 up to like D5. So I actually made the club lighter yet I feel the head much more. This led to improved transition and now a much smoother swing. With the shaft plus the shock absorbing grip, I don't feel I'm playing steel nor graphite; somewhere in the middle. My bad swings with the c200's have me actually hitting a low straight shot that is short of target 20 yards. the good swings have a high but strong ball flight. I don't feel the strong high ball flight impacts me unless I'm playing 15mph or greater winds. If I'm hitting downwind, I can hit it too far but actually my playing partners actually complement that more then a GIR:banghead:

Last night the playing partner was asking what club I hit on a certain approach shot.
I said 6 iron, and I hit it, from 140 into a pretty solid wind. Darn near hit the pin, and roll 10 feet past.
"You realize that your 6 is a 5 right?" he says.
He likes to harp on me about strong lofts, he loves his Mizunos.

2 holes later:
"So when are you going to sell me your C200s..... I like them."

Last night the playing partner was asking what club I hit on a certain approach shot.
I said 6 iron, and I hit it, from 140 into a pretty solid wind. Darn near hit the pin, and roll 10 feet past.
"You realize that your 6 is a 5 right?" he says.
He likes to harp on me about strong lofts, he loves his Mizunos.

2 holes later:
"So when are you going to sell me your C200s..... I like them."
My friend has the jpx 825 irons and when he hit my c200 7i he was impressed to the point he is going to give them a run on the monitor to see his numbers with the intention to buy, he's been with mizuno since the widetec 2 and won't buy any other brand

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I had the Mizuno jpx in an earlier model some years ago. Had the Wilson CI9's as well. the mizuno had the dynamic gold shafts and the CI9's some OEM that I could not determine. Because of the Mizuno name and shaft, I tried to game that set for 6 to 9 months even though the feel and result of the Wilson was better. Eventually I sold the Mizuno for what I had in them and since then I don't get wrapped up in brand rather I try and focus on results. Wilson has really good product.

Some months after I sold the Mizuno I hit the year later model in Forged with KSB shafts. These felt much more like my CI9's. The CI9s like the c200's play softer then a cast club should.

Bought a 4-GW on eBay earlier in the week. Season winding down for me though. I'm planning on practicing with them this winter and get yardages dialed in for next spring.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Hope you like em. I have enjoyed the hell out of mine.

enjoy! takes a while to get used to the light shaft in them if you got KSB 90's and come from full weight shafts. I'd say give them time and maybe consider a lighter grip to get the Headweight up if you have an problems adjusting.

I did get the KSB 90's. Thanks for the heads up.
enjoy! takes a while to get used to the light shaft in them if you got KSB 90's and come from full weight shafts. I'd say give them time and maybe consider a lighter grip to get the Headweight up if you have an problems adjusting.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

My C200s are firmly back in my bag, for at least the remainder of this season.

Come spring they can fight it out against the Apex CF16 I have sitting here.

Love the forgiveness, love the confidence it inspires, and love swinging these irons!

right on Brad!

I've been working hard to improve my swing this year almost like a hobby in itself. Each time I make small improvements I see more distance in these irons. Since you guys are golf nuts, I will bore you with my story.

I was very happy with my old Wilson CI9's with full weight extended shafts back in Feb. They were 2 degree's up and 1/2 inch extended. I was hitting a nice ball flight from an elevated tee on my driveway to a tree by a lake 155 yards away. I could almost make it to the tree with an 8i. Then I read this thread about the c200. Got them in the 90 stiff flex. At first spraying the ball left, right, and maybe 140 yards. I assumed it was the flat lie, shaft, x, y, z. Took them to a local shop for alteration and the owner suggested I play them for a few weeks. Not much improvement but then I installed a light grip (Dritac lite) and increased my swing weight to where my CI9's were (D5). Instantly I hit the ball better. Then I concluded a guy 6'1 with avg arm length did not need extra long or upright clubs. I learned to swing with the lie of the clubs as it. I've had some great shots on the course and am basically flying the c200 8i to about the base of the tree (loosing lots of balls in the lake).

So Sunday I'm out working on late release of the clubhead with wiffle balls (called Birdie balls by the way guys and totally great to practice with). I pull 2 real balls out of the bag. I totally flew both over the tree at 155 with a towering penetrating ball flight. Tree is about 20 foot tall. Best guess 165 to 170 in carry, straight as an arrow. Sure glad the golf shop owner told me to wait a few weeks.

Despite the GI status of these irons, they still perform quite well for this single digit handicap. Even with the higher lofted clubs, I am able to hit lower knockdown shots with plenty of spin to hold greens. I've said it before, and I still believe that these irons are like cheating. The 5 iron has become a reliable fairway finder for me off the tee, and the 105 yard knockdown PW has become a big part of my arsenal this season. Saturday was a rough round with a case of the hooks, but today was a dream round. Sure, I could get something new and shiny, but the C200s flat out perform, and should be staying in the bag for a while.

My C200's have returned to the bag* and their performance is just as good as I remember. So far I've only had one range session and a quick 9 on a par 27 course but I'm getting them, ok me, dialed in.

* I distracted my wife with the C200's when she almost caught me during my putter transition day (summer putters being swapped out for winter ones). My wife agreed that I could use them in the W/S Proto event.

Despite the GI status of these irons, they still perform quite well for this single digit handicap. Even with the higher lofted clubs, I am able to hit lower knockdown shots with plenty of spin to hold greens. I've said it before, and I still believe that these irons are like cheating. The 5 iron has become a reliable fairway finder for me off the tee, and the 105 yard knockdown PW has become a big part of my arsenal this season. Saturday was a rough round with a case of the hooks, but today was a dream round. Sure, I could get something new and shiny, but the C200s flat out perform, and should be staying in the bag for a while.

Agreed. Flighting these irons is much easier then with other GI irons.

I continue to tinker with my swing and I am now driving the ball great but iron play is marginal at best. What I can say though is that the c200 is not my problem. Depending on the swing I'm using I hit it very high to last week relatively low. The variable seems to be me not the head or shaft. Changing these things out in hope of finding perfection would be like trying to find enough parking lot change to vacation in HI; futile.

Back