Winter golf sucks

Our course keeps temp pins in short of each green during the winter season so any time it's mid 40s or above, I like to get out and just chase the ball around even if I can't play actual golf.

I had to spend a vacation day at work today to meet a tech who's going to work on my wide format printer. He's running very late so I got a chance to spend the day in my metal shop and take my ridiculous MacGyver skills to a whole new sillyness level.

As long as there's no deep snow, I'm gonna be out there hackin' away! The solid heavy guage sheet metal bracket attaches through each accessory bolt and it's hanging in the paint room right now! This Friday is gonna be mid 40s so I gots plans for warm hands!

a8XQyAH.jpg

I’m with you. I would be happy to play here now under the conditions in Southern Virginia.
I agree here in MA not much is open, it gets dark at 4:30. But maybe I should try it some more

Our course keeps temp pins in short of each green during the winter season so any time it's mid 40s or above, I like to get out and just chase the ball around even if I can't play actual golf.

I had to spend a vacation day at work today to meet a tech who's going to work on my wide format printer. He's running very late so I got a chance to spend the day in my metal shop and take my ridiculous MacGyver skills to a whole new sillyness level.

As long as there's no deep snow, I'm gonna be out there hackin' away! The solid heavy guage sheet metal bracket attaches through each accessory bolt and it's hanging in the paint room right now! This Friday is gonna be mid 40s so I gots plans for warm hands!

a8XQyAH.jpg

That’s genius!!!

Gamer Bag:
:ping: G425 SFT 10.5° Hzrdus Smoke Black 5.5 shaft
:ping: G425 SFT 5w Hzrdus Smoke Black 5.5 shaft
:ping: G425 SFT 7w Hzrdus Smoke Black 5.5 shaft
:ping: G425 Max 9w Hzrdus Smoke Black 5.5 shaft
:ping: Blueprint red dot 4-PW Recoil 95 F3 shafts
:cleveland: RTX Zipcores 50° 56° & 60° wedges with Recoil 95 F3 shafts
:taylormade: TM2 Truss 35"

The 2nd String:
:ping: G SFT 10° driver Hzrdus Smoke Black 5.5 Shaft
:Srixon: ZX5 5-PW Recoil 95 F3 Shafts
:ping: G425 4 Hybrid Alta CB R Flex Shaft
:Taylormade: Tour Spider 35”

The Shelf:
:xxio: Nine 6-AW SR Flex mp 1000 shafts
:ping: G410 2 Hybrid Tensei Blue R Flex Shaft
:odyssey: Works Versa 7H CS 34”

I agree here in MA not much is open, it gets dark at 4:30. But maybe I should try it some more

There are places on the cape usually open all year. Last year I played through most of the winter. If it is warmer than 38* I played at least one day on the weekend most weekends last winter. There were a couple of weekends it was either too cold or there was snow on the ground.

Anytime I can play is good, winter, summer.....I just hate when it's 25 and the wind is blowing hard

a8XQyAH.jpg

I have to admit that that’s a very interesting contraption / cart you have.

The forecast looks good for a Friday round. Unfortunately, my course is very wet and the snow and rain we had over the last 4 days would make it virtually unplayable.

Winter golf beats winter with no golf which is what we have in Syracuse.

I am ACG. All Conditions Golfer. Don't I will play down to a wind chill of 30. It's always a decent walk and sometimes it's decent golf too. Winter golf is excellent short game practice too. Basically all the tough conditions can be found out there during the winter.

Winter golf isn't bad. It's the cold, wind, dormant grass... But a positive attitude is golf is great whether winter or summer!

a8XQyAH.jpg
You know there may be some people interested in that mounting bracket/regulator... niche market? Maybe!(y)(y)

It was 49° when we teed off this morning. Chilly, but it was dead calm so not too bad. Everything was fine until we saw the drink cart on hole #5 - she was all wrapped up in a blanket and I joked "You look cold!". She replied "At least it's not windy!". I winced - we have a superstition that you don't ever say that word out loud on the golf course! By hole #7 it was blowing 10-15 mph. Thanks, drink cart lady! :ROFLMAO:
...Aaaand there goes your tip...

a8XQyAH.jpg
Looks like a ball heater to me 🤔

I am ACG. All Conditions Golfer. Don't I will play down to a wind chill of 30. It's always a decent walk and sometimes it's decent golf too. Winter golf is excellent short game practice too. Basically all the tough conditions can be found out there during the winter.
LOL, I doubt you have lake effect snow in Louisville, KY. We get a foot or more at a time. :ROFLMAO:

LOL, I doubt you have lake effect snow in Louisville, KY. We get a foot or more at a time. :ROFLMAO:
Snow is a no go. Snow makes me fire up Zillow and start figuring out which SC, FL, or AL town I might want to live in.

Winter golf in my very limited experience can be really tough - tougher for those of us who don't hit it a mile, or sometimes stray from the fairway. Balls get lost in the leaves, the land is usually a bit softer/wetter, grass can be thinner, and in the cold, lost distance too. Me, i just try to enjoy being out there and play my best, club up, dress warm and keep moving. Try a winter ball softer compression and club up, maybe that'd help?

Played a couple of rounds last week - mud on ball on every shot, even on the greens you'd pick up something as it rolled on some greens. Weird.

I am visiting the front range of Colorado, and winter golf here wouldn't be half bad. Outside of the propensity for extreme weather events, this part of the world offers a lot of playable days (50s and sunny) in the winter. If I lived here, I would jump on the winter golf opportunities.

I am driving back home tomorrow. Winter golf in southwest Montana sucks. haha. No surprise there.

Winter is "no handicap" season in WA, which is unfortunate for me because it's when I've played my best golf both years since I started. It's rare when my schedule and the weather both align to allow golf but I'm out there when they do!

Played a couple of rounds last week - mud on ball on every shot, even on the greens you'd pick up something as it rolled on some greens. Weird.
It's winter - Winter Rules apply! Wipe that ish off! :LOL:

I've played three rounds now since Christmas and I don't think a single one had temps much if any above 40. And as I sit here right now, I can say that have really enjoyed it. Rate are cheap, the air is crisp, there's hardly anyone on the course. So much so that I debated starting a new thread, calling it "My love affair with winter golf".

Sure, I might start to get cold and stiff as the sun sets and then I start to choose to hit a half swing, knock down 8 irons from a 100 yards instead of trying to make a 'full' swing with a wedge. But that skill will come in handy come summer when I find the tree but I think more importantly it helps me to play golf, not golf swing.

Couple all that with an enjoyable reason to get fresh air at those temps... count me in.

It chit 6 or 7 inches of snow in my area, today. I won't play any real golf til I go to AZ in February. :confused:

The great thing about playing links golf here in the uk.. is it drains. I’m playing when I’m free, clean shoes and clean trolley I know I’m lucky but I only really have to deal with the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate winter golf so bad. It’s better than no golf I suppose but it’s just so bleh. I live in southwest Virginia and our climate has been very mild for late fall and early winter but the fairways and brown and stiff and the grass around the greens is sparse. You cant chip very well on it and it all just sucks. Does anyone else here feel my pain?

Gamer Bag:
:ping: G425 SFT 10.5° Hzrdus Smoke Black 5.5 shaft
:ping: G425 SFT 5w Hzrdus Smoke Black 5.5 shaft
:ping: G425 SFT 7w Hzrdus Smoke Black 5.5 shaft
:ping: G425 Max 9w Hzrdus Smoke Black 5.5 shaft
:ping: Blueprint red dot 4-PW Recoil 95 F3 shafts
:cleveland: RTX Zipcores 50° 56° & 60° wedges with Recoil 95 F3 shafts
:taylormade: TM2 Truss 35"

The 2nd String:
:ping: G SFT 10° driver Hzrdus Smoke Black 5.5 Shaft
:Srixon: ZX5 5-PW Recoil 95 F3 Shafts
:ping: G410 2 Hybrid Tensei Blue R Flex Shaft
:ping: G425 4 Hybrid Alta CB R Flex Shaft
:Taylormade: Tour Spider 35”

The Shelf:
:xxio: Nine 6-AW SR Flex mp 1000 shafts
:odyssey: Works Versa 7H CS 34”

I live over in Virginia Beach and it's always a few degrees warmer than were you are.

I do find myself putting more from the sparse fairways than chipping. The ball rolls like a sailor on leave, but usually leaves me a shorter putt.

My son tried to get me to go play last Saturday and it was a breezy 39 degrees................yeah right! :rolleyes:

I told my wife "the boy is crazy"

She just rolled her eyes and reminded me of how my friends and I would laugh about driving golf balls across frozen ponds in Connecticut & Rhode Island back in the 80's :oops:

This winter I'm loving it. It's been warm and for the most part dry. My biggest complaint is the pin placements. They all seem to be within 4 feet of the edge of the green, I guess they are resting the centers. We get another week of 60s and 70s before it gets cold. January and February are notoriously wet here and I'm not looking forward to that.

I once played a midweek round at a local course, where I knew the greenkeeper. All the pins were cut the way you describe. I ran into him after the round, and commented on the devilish pin placements. He told me that they try to save the middles of the greens for the weekend. This place is very popular, and really gets crowded on the weekends. Putting the pins in the centers of the greens helps speed play.

No winter golf this year! The High got to 20F today, and it's going into the single digits tonight! At least the maniacs that call themselves ice fishermen might be happy. the problem is that since the golf dome collapsed under a snow and ice load some years ago, there's no place to hit balls during the Winter. Well, there are simulators attached to a local, upscale daily fee course. They are hideously expensive! I absolutely refuse to pay more for a sim round than I will for an actual round when the weather is nice! And the thing about the golf dome was that the drive home took me past a really good local restaurant where I would stop and have a late lunch. They also had a fabulous wine by the glass list!

You can tell I was REALLY concentrating on the golf here, but motivation takes many forms.

It was a brisk 61* when we started our round this morning. Almost had to put a pullover on. 🥶🥶🥶

Back