Worst miss in golf?

Shank followed closely by the dreaded blade shot. I cannot tell you how many balls I have lost behind greens after blading my approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaving a short putt out to the right is my make me mad miss. I have had it happen at some inopportune times.

Waving at the cart girl from across the fairway to hold on and her mistaking it for an "I'm all good" wave.
Better than waving her off and she thinks you need something, then arrives and you tell her you're good. Then she just thinks you're flirting.

Having never hit a shank, I'll have to say topping my second shot. Happens enough that it's the most frustrating part of my game and why I hate fairway woods and hybrids! :confused:

If you ask me they are all worse shots. Some might seem worse, but aren't they all dreaded? :unsure:

If you ask me they are all worse shots. Some might seem worse, but aren't they all dreaded? :unsure:

Yes, but some seem to impact the score more because they result in much worse subsequent positions and tend to come in bunches.

Yes, but some seem to impact the score more because they result in much worse subsequent positions and tend to come in bunches.
Indeed they do and based on that one would be worse. You the "come in bunches" part is most interesting. Here lately if I top a ball it seems I have to top at least two or three before I settle down. Over-correcting is just as bad because the next shot will be a rut in front of the ball if you over-correct. I still hate all bad shots. :ROFLMAO:

When I hit a shank, it tends to then be on my mind for the rest of the round.
I do agree... When I had a case of the shanks the only golf thought I had was don't shank this next one! Man it was a dark and scary place for a while

Oh it’s gotta be the shank, no doubt. (Knocks on wood) I’ve never had a case of them other than the odd one here or there.

I did witness it during a round with my middle son, it was just a casual round and he’s generally a very consistent ball striker. He shanked the living crap out of 50% of his iron shots the entire round. I remember vividly on hole 11 him shanking one OB and him bursting into tears wailing “dad, how do I fix this??!?”

I told him I don’t know, try to hit the center of the clubface? Mercifully the next time our he was fine again.

For me it's a chunk. Feels like my club is breaking in half as my ball rolls away.

Followed by, the skulled chip shot over the green giving me the same shot again, just from a different angle.

I’ll take a top in the fairway, over a shank any day. When I get a case of the the shanks I get it bad. I’ll hook and slice it and I’ll generally lose like 4 balls in the process. I use truvis and not only are they not cheap, but there is something about losing that beautiful soccer ball that hurts your soul.

a 2 way miss. It's bad enough if your slicing but when you don't know which way it's going to go you can't adjust.

the top off the tee usually puts you in a worse position than if you just rocketed one OB and re-teed

Hitting the hosel and the ball shoots dead right. I have actually broken a club after a few of these in one round....must be the clubs fault

Shank's are brutal. The feel at impact is awful and the ball just shoots in a bizarre trajectory to some impossible location.

Thinning a wedge or chip is a close 2nd. Every now and then they turn out OK, but most of the time they add a unique level of frustration. Close to green. Can visualize the shot, looking to save par or better. Boom, on the other side of the green or worse. Ugh.

Hitting them fat is the worst. I like forward progress in golf and those don't progress to far forward.

Taking the S word out of the options (because it makes me twitch) I would go with the hard pull or snap hook. Those tend to go forever and generally result in penalty strokes.

...Thinning a wedge or chip is a close 2nd. Every now and then they turn out OK, but most of the time they add a unique level of frustration. Close to green. Can visualize the shot, looking to save par or better. Boom, on the other side of the green or worse. Ugh.
That's the most hurtful part of a skulled chip - usually you're licking your chops and eyeing a birdie or easy par, and instead you end up with a bogey or worse. Right through the freaking heart.

Having played GC 2019 for over a week and half now, I can tell you the miss I hate the most is the one where I hit the green but because of the false front the ball rolls way back of the green. Then you're scrambling to get up and down. :mad:

a 2 way miss. It's bad enough if your slicing but when you don't know which way it's going to go you can't adjust.
Yes. I feel your pain.

There is NOTHING that sucks you completely dry of confidence like a shank.

Back