Worst Shot Scramble

I've never done this either, but I bet it would be a lot of fun. I wouldn't predict a good score, but it would be fun.

Similar skill level?

The answer is Under par

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No chance of under par with me as a partner today. I started with an eagle on the first hole and hit one OB on the 5th hole and one in water on #9, doubles on both those holes. I finished strong with three birdies on the last 4 holes but mixed in with 5 bogies, it was a very strange looking scorecard and a +4 for the round. 8 shots worse than my round yesterday, lol.

I would like to do it with someone with the same handicap but definitely not the same ability

This sounds like it could be good practice from (relatively) bad positions. Or something I would have thought was a good idea when drinking..

It sounds like a fun format. It could be a train wreck but would be fun.

Sounds kind of hilarious, no?

"nice chip in bro, better grab that ball and come over to my duffed chip :ROFLMAO:"

Anyone tried this? I kind of want to with someone in my realm of skill (to make it interesting). What do you think you could shoot with someone in a similar skill set?

Jack Nicklaus has stated he could not break 80 playing worst ball. For example, making two tee shots, playing the worst one, two seconds, take the worst, two putts, take the worst.
I remember as a kid caddying for John Brodie (ex QB and pro golfer) who would play as a single with a dozen carts full of bettors . Brodie would take bets that he could break 85 playing this format, and the guys in the carts had bet against him. Some days he had on the line more than $10,000. Brodie could shoot 68's playing regular golf but I don't remember him ever breaking 85 playing worst ball format.

Jack Nicklaus has stated he could not break 80 playing worst ball. For example, making two tee shots, playing the worst one, two seconds, take the worst, two putts, take the worst.
I remember as a kid caddying for John Brodie (ex QB and pro golfer) who would play as a single with a dozen carts full of bettors . Brodie would take bets that he could break 85 playing this format, and the guys in the carts had bet against him. Some days he had on the line more than $10,000. Brodie could shoot 68's playing regular golf but I don't remember him ever breaking 85 playing worst ball format.
This kind of baffles me. If I went out with someone of the same skillset and didn't break at LEAST 80, I'd be pretty disappointed. Hell, I'd expect to break par.

This kind of baffles me. If I went out with someone of the same skillset and didn't break at LEAST 80, I'd be pretty disappointed. Hell, I'd expect to break par.

The worst ball game I am referencing is not a scramble. It's a single playing two balls for every shot and taking the shot with the worst result.

I'd make you hit irons off the tee lol. Long iron game stroooong.

That's a solid play. I have my UT bumpin right now.

The worst ball game I am referencing is not a scramble. It's a single playing two balls for every shot and taking the shot with the worst result.
My two balls and I take the worst of the two?

Assuming I'm not playing like a trashcan (my version), I'd got 80 in the bag EASY.

My two balls and I take the worst of the two?

Assuming I'm not playing like a trashcan (my version), I'd got 80 in the bag EASY.

Nicklaus said that playing a worst ball format he could not break 80. Most people who try it give up after a couple of holes. For example, hit a great tee shot, but the second tee shot finds the left rough. Hit a great shot from the rough that finds the green, but the second shot from the rough ends up in the front bunker. First bunker shot ends up 2 feet from the hole, the next bunker shot leaves a 10 footer. Make the first 10 footer but miss the second one, bogey for the hole. It's very difficult to make pars playing this format and nearly impossible to make a birdie. It's very easy to make a double bogey or worse, all it takes is one ball that finds a hazard or out of bounds. And on every green having to hole two consecutive putts is brutal.

Nicklaus said that playing a worst ball format he could not break 80. Most people who try it give up after a couple of holes. For example, hit a great tee shot, but the second tee shot finds the left rough. Hit a great shot from the rough that finds the green, but the second shot from the rough ends up in the front bunker. First bunker shot ends up 2 feet from the hole, the next bunker shot leaves a 10 footer. Make the first 10 footer but miss the second one, bogey for the hole. It's very difficult to make pars playing this format and nearly impossible to make a birdie. It's very easy to make a double bogey or worse, all it takes is one ball that finds a hazard or out of bounds. And on every green having to hole two consecutive putts is brutal.

I understand he said that. but I'd honestly be hard pressed to ever watch him in his prime not have two decent shots every time. Feels like something he said to make other people feel better. In practice I feel like most pros could still post very good scores in practice rounds doing this.

In practice I feel like most pros could still post very good scores in practice rounds doing this.

I doubt any of the current Tour pros could break 80 playing this format. It might make for an interesting t.v. event, having Justin Thomas or Rickie Fowler trying to break 80.
If you've never done it, try this format and see what you can do. Most people who try it get frustrated and give up after only a few holes.

I doubt any of the current Tour pros could break 80 playing this format. It might make for an interesting t.v. event, having Justin Thomas or Rickie Fowler trying to break 80.
If you've never done it, try this format and see what you can do. Most people who try it get frustrated and give up after only a few holes.

I would actually bet a lot of money on not just one, but both of them breaking 80. Especially in a casual setting.

That would be hilarious yet exhausting format. Maybe for a few holes but not a whole round

Sounds kind of hilarious, no?

"nice chip in bro, better grab that ball and come over to my duffed chip :ROFLMAO:"

Anyone tried this? I kind of want to with someone in my realm of skill (to make it interesting). What do you think you could shoot with someone in a similar skill set?

Sounds like a 7 hour round

Back