Would you intentionally play worse performing gear?

Would you swap shafts, or stay with feel?

• Swap them out

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • If it's not broken, don't fix it

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters
Oh no, that's what it would be. Just different shafts in my current iron heads. The thing is though, the recoils greatly add to how good my current irons feel...like...a lot.

Do you have to play graphite still?

I think you would be able to find another shaft in a similar profile be it steel or graphite that feels close enough to recoils but gives you the performance you want/need

I would take accuracy and consistency over distance any day of the week.
If it's really something that is bothering you, I'd keep your current setup but bend them a bit to bring them closer to the distance you are looking for.

Do you have to play graphite still?

I think you would be able to find another shaft in a similar profile be it steel or graphite that feels close enough to recoils but gives you the performance you want/need
Have to? No, not at all. But, I was fit to the Nippon Modus tour's, which are probably the best feeling iron shaft arguably, and the recoils still feel better.

The issue is, all of the shafts that feel great all spin too high for me haha...which is...just about everything. We went through A LOT of shafts to try to find the right one. The Modus 120's were the only ones that really did anything for me. DG120 did a little bit, but were still more than the nippons by a decent amount.

Have to? No, not at all. But, I was fit to the Nippon Modus tour's, which are probably the best feeling iron shaft arguably, and the recoils still feel better.

The issue is, all of the shafts that feel great all spin too high for me haha...which is...just about everything. We went through A LOT of shafts to try to find the right one. The Modus 120's were the only ones that really did anything for me. DG120 did a little bit, but were still more than the nippons by a decent amount.

I'm thinking Catalyst, probably a bit different, but I think that would help the spin and I really like the feel in my 4i.

Shafts should fit a certain profile, but I've had some success with ones that on paper would scream stay away!

It's not all about getting the most distance, especially in the irons. It sounds like you a good feeling, nicely performing set of irons... don't mess with a good thing.

I'm thinking Catalyst, probably a bit different, but I think that would help the spin and I really like the feel in my 4i.

Shafts should fit a certain profile, but I've had some success with ones that on paper would scream stay away!
Tried it, didn't do anything for me haha. Did feel great though. My ability to impart spin with my irons is pretty impressive.

It's not all about getting the most distance, especially in the irons. It sounds like you a good feeling, nicely performing set of irons... don't mess with a good thing.

While true, there are also some good baseline parameters that can be good too....and per those, I spin my 6i more than most spin 7's haha.

Tried it, didn't do anything for me haha. Did feel great though. My ability to impart spin with my irons is pretty impressive.

Apparently. Looking forward to seeing what you land on.

Apparently. Looking forward to seeing what you land on.
Other kicker...i may have already bought the nippons...attached to other clubs haha. But I'd have to take my srixons in to be pulled, and now I'm just sitting there with them not wanting to get them switched haha.

Other kicker...i may have already bought the nippons...attached to other clubs haha. But I'd have to take my srixons in to be pulled, and now I'm just sitting there with them not wanting to get them switched haha.

That is a kicker for sure. I usually just put shafts I want into my J15s - if it works with the J15s, it's a good shaft if I don't like it, meh it's out.

That is a kicker for sure. I usually just put shafts I want into my J15s - if it works with the J15s, it's a good shaft if I don't like it, meh it's out.
If they were both steel they would have been swapped pretty fast. Having to go get them pulled now is bleh.

Also, the Honma's I got them with, since the Honma's spin more, now pretty much match the Srixons and the distance and everything at the sim the other day they were fun too haha.

I wouldn't classify what you have as worse performing gear just based on maybe 5 yards. Performance comes from quite a bit more than just yardage.

If they were both steel they would have been swapped pretty fast. Having to go get them pulled now is bleh.

Also, the Honma's I got them with, since the Honma's spin more, now pretty much match the Srixons and the distance and everything at the sim the other day they were fun too haha.

Oh yeah I stick with steel just because it's easier to work with, especially with pulls.

I wouldn't classify what you have as worse performing gear just based on maybe 5 yards. Performance comes from quite a bit more than just yardage.
Yea I wouldn't say what i currently have doesn't perform, but effortless distance just from changing shafts was pretty drastic when going through it.

I’m picking consistency and accuracy over vanity ... I mean distance.
It’s why we have different lofts. If you know how long each club goes, I’d roll with that so long as you’re happy with gapping.

Yea I wouldn't say what i currently have doesn't perform, but effortless distance just from changing shafts was pretty drastic when going through it.

something I've come across with effortless distance is that it is effortless on the range and when demoing. But when push comes to shove on the course, I tend to not have that effortless swing and things can get wonky(technical term).

Perhaps I'm a bit jaded because I once made the switch to iron shafts because I saw a few more yards. But man did I ever regret doing so because what I left felt 10000% better and it was something I trusted and was comfortable with.

Also one more thing I'd look at, is where is that extra distance coming from. If everything else remains in check, I'd consider it.

something I've come across with effortless distance is that it is effortless on the range and when demoing. But when push comes to shove on the course, I tend to not have that effortless swing and things can get wonky(technical term).

Perhaps I'm a bit jaded because I once made the switch to iron shafts because I saw a few more yards. But man did I ever regret doing so because what I left felt 10000% better and it was something I trusted and was comfortable with.

Also one more thing I'd look at, is where is that extra distance coming from. If everything else remains in check, I'd consider it.
It was spin profile and that was it from what we saw. Everything else remained basically the same, and with the spin being knocked down, it increased distance and brought the descent angle down a bit too, which is where the extra carry was coming from.

It was spin profile and that was it from what we saw. Everything else remained basically the same, and with the spin being knocked down, it increased distance and brought the descent angle down a bit too, which is where the extra carry was coming from.

so you knocked spin down and also lowered your descent angle? Where abouts do those numbers lie because reading that makes me uneasy as an internet golfer.

All things being equal and your accuracy doesn't suffer, I would say swap them out and go pin hunting.

so you knocked spin down and also lowered your descent angle? Where abouts do those numbers lie because reading that makes me uneasy as an internet golfer.
Yes, my descent angle is too high due to spin haha. So it essentially flattened by ball flight out causing about 10 yards more carry.

I play Vintage :macgregor: 2 to 9 iron. No Wedges.

It improves my ball striking and make the :mizuno:MP-20's look and play 15796427965862930631977887669861.jpglike SGI Irons.

?15796427417483854388214021380483.jpg157964277228660166195008467337.jpg

My buddy who got fit for new Titleist CB 4-6 and MB 7-P. He got fitted at the local golf store and ordered 2-3 clubs through them. He got the specs and ordered a couple through one of the golf courses and the other from another one ( He is a competitive amateur and had pro shop credit from tournaments). He got them and noticed to much spin and ballooning that was costing him distance and they checked them and found that not all of the swing weights and lofts were to spec. The golf store corrected them and also added some lead tape to help him achieve the desired spin and launch.

Maybe going to the place you were fit and have them assess your number and let them make adjustments would be an option so that you don't have to make a change.

except for driver I never swap Distance for feel or accuracy :unsure:

I would keep the feel and not worry about the distance!

Your gear isn't really worse performing. It sounds like you could possibly squeeze some more performance out of your clubs, but, if your clubs are performing predictably, I would stick with that. Change may be good, or, not.

Back