Would you rather.....? Fast/Bad vs Slow/Good

I like a faster pace round. Slow rounds throw my rhythm off.

Definitely fast and above my handicap because slow and below my handicap doesn’t happen. My body cannot stay warm enough to hit good shots when I have to wait for too long. If there’s nobody behind me, I’ll move back to 100 yards and practice some wedges or do some green side chipping after I hole out. That’s helped me score decently even at a 5 hour pace.

My body has a better chance of recovery if I limit the cool down cycles. The days after golf also tend to factor into my enjoyment of the game. Anything I can do to limit the wear is huge for me now.

I find it amazing how many people say they cant play well when its slow cause they cant find a grove, or a rhythm, or a tempo, whatever...yet we all kind of wish we were tour pros and they play 5 hrs as 2somes. So I guess no one could ever turn into a tour pro.

Man I cant get over how many people this 4 hrs for a 4some is "slow" - that is just 13 minutes per hole for EVERYONE to finish the hole out....

4Ish hours is average for me in the Northeast for a 4some....

In response to the question, I hate playing bad golf...so slow and good (if we are talking 4 hrs as slow) is absolutely fine by me!!
There wasn't an initial time labeled as slow. So it would be playing at or below your handicap and what you would consider a slow round of golf.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I find it amazing how many people say they cant play well when its slow cause they cant find a grove, or a rhythm, or a tempo, whatever...yet we all kind of wish we were tour pros and they play 5 hrs as 2somes. So I guess no one could ever turn into a tour pro.
Oh come on... That's a ridiculous conclusion to jump to. We're a bunch of hacks on the course for enjoyment, and for some that means being able to play faster as a preference.

Extrapolating the answers in here out to a situation where our livelihood depends on how we play doesn't even qualify as a gross generalization. It's just pure silliness. If my paycheck depends on how well I play, I'm going to choose whatever option is available that includes me scoring well. Doesn't have to mean I'd like playing long rounds, though.

(And the pros do play too damn slow.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh come on... That's a ridiculous conclusion to jump to. We're a bunch of hacks on the course for enjoyment, and for some that means being able to play faster as a preference.

Extrapolating the answers in here out to a situation where our livelihood depends on how we play doesn't even qualify as a gross generalization. It's just pure silliness. If my paycheck depends on how well I play, I'm going to choose whatever option is available that includes me scoring well. Doesn't have to mean I'd like playing long rounds, though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Not just in this thread nor just on the forum but also on the outside as well people have forever very often indicated that a slower pace kills their performance. And tons of those comments very often also comes from those who are very good and who take their performance very seriously. They insist they just cant play well when pace an issue. So I wonder then how in the world would they ever be able to play at a professional level or even compete at a high end amateur one if pace can kill their ability? I don't think its such a ridiculous question.

Last edited:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Not just in this thread nor just on the forum but also on the outside as well people have forever very often indicated that a slower pace kills their performance. And tons of those comments very often also comes from those who are very good and who take their performance very seriously. They insist they just cant play well when pace an issue. So I wonder then how in the world would they ever be able to play at a professional level or even compete at a high end amateur one if pace can kill their ability? I don't think its such a ridiculous question.
So basically, you're still looking at it as though someone would not be able to adapt to their profession if indeed they had to adapt to earn money. I hate slow play, but I'd quickly adapt if I had to regularly deal with slow play while trying to make my living on the course.

So basically, you're still looking at it as though someone would not be able to adapt to their profession if indeed they had to adapt to earn money. I hate slow play, but I'd quickly adapt if I had to regularly deal with slow play while trying to make my living on the course.

Ok that's fair. Its also understandable. Then people need to also adapt their play when they cant do anything about it. But instead they insist on complaining how detrimental it is to their own play. Very few people actually enjoy anything that is longer than their liking even if its not considered slow by many other peoples standards. The famous "I cant play well because of pace" excuse and complaint is an extremely popular one. Many continuously imply they cant find a grove, cant find a rhythm or tempo, etc, and how its just too detrimental to their success when its slower than they like. All Im saying is.... if you ever wanted to play golf at highest levels, especially pro, you better find a way to get use to it cause you'll never make it if you don't.

When speaking about the above, we don't even have to be talking about truly slow rounds but simply anything that is slower than they like becomes an excuse. Honestly, no one has to like it, but if its detrimental to your success then imo you should learn how to play with it especially if you cant do anything about it. Or go ahead and be miserable. That doesn't mean you cant advocate for faster play nor does it mean you have to like it. But just that if slower play is a big reason you cant play well, you either have to learn how to do it while in slower paces or accept that your not good enough to do that. And if your not good enough to that then you would be very limited as to how far you can go.

Couldn't have given a better response to that myself. Well said Rambler

Yup. Completely different story. Providing a means for my family.... I'll take as long as I damn well pleaser and need to be successful. That may end up being a nice steady fast pace but it means making or missing a paycheck....slow it down as much as I need to

We generally play in under 4 hrs but then again are out 1st out or not far from it and really we are not fast (trying to be fast that is) so to speak. It all depends on the round to me, if I am playing well and things are clicking I want to enjoy the round and trying to jack rabbit around the course is not fun to me.

Just play at the pace the Course gives you is my thinking, tomorrow we are playing at a resort course in the afternoon so I hope we can get around in 4 hrs or so just to beat dark. But being there will be a lot of weekend warriors out there who knows.

4 hours 45 minutes today. Slightly worse than my handicap, bleh

Faster rounds are always better than slow and my game is better when it’s faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back