Fore is not something I often here at some course. Today was lining up my second shot into the very tough par 4 9th and about go nailed by 2 massive slices off the 1st tee. Not a word was yelled from the 1sr tee...

Has anyone ever heard a “Fore!”, located the danger / incoming ball, and reacted in time to avoid it? I was thinking about this last week. I heard multiple shouts of Fore during the round. With the close layout of holes and the 20+ mph wind gusts I couldn’t really tell where the yell was coming from. Luckily nothing was sent in our direction.

As others have said... if I hear "FORE!" i hunch down and cover my head until I hear the ball land OR i count to 5 internally; whichever comes first.

That's the first thing I taught my kids when they started coming out on the course with me. Worst thing you can do is look up and try to find the ball.

To the OP: not much you can do with an unreasonable person who won't let you finish explaining. It's tough to do, but the only thing I'd recommend doing differently would be remaining calm rather than letting that guy's anger infect you.

I don't believe you did anything wrong and am overly impressed you didn't throat punch the over reactive golf. :clapp:

On a hole today we waited for green to clear in order to hit our approaches. The group had left the green and was significant enough distance away at their carts under a tree canopy. It was not very near the green at all as on this hole the cart path was significant safe enough distance away. One player in my group of course then hit and went way left, yelled very loudly "FOUR!!" And the ball hit the tree branches near enough the other group. It was simply a bad shot. So one the guys yells out "Are you fing kidding me??!!"
So as I was the closest to them I shouted u nicely..."he yelled four" and the guy yells angrily and nasty....."he should wait till we are off the green" so I said now with anger in my voice....."you guys are way off the freaking green but he hit a bad shot,...these things happen you know!
And things ended at that. But cheeeeze some people just wake up wrong or they are sexually frustrated...lol IDK but something aint right.

#1 rule in golf. Play so that everybody can go to work the next day. I won't comment about your specific situation, because I wasn't there. I will just say that generally speaking, it seems like people DON'T yell fore when they should far more than they DO and it wasn't warranted. Which is the bigger error with far greater consequences?

Every year people get seriously injured, even die from a golf ball on a golf course. I wouldn't want any of you to be on either side of that stat.

It's no fun being hit by a ball.

What I generally find is I yell "fore" for my partners a lot more than myself...but that is not necessarily because of appropriateness. When I am standing over the ball, I know what I am trying to do...scratch that, what I am EXPECTING to do. And if I hit some screaming meemie a hundred yards off line I kind of go through the seven stages..trying to locate it, surprise when I do, shock it was so bad, anger at myself for the miss, fear as I realize it is heading towards people, silence as I open my mouth and then apology for not getting the word "fore" out...and a lot of it is my reaction time.

But when watching others balls, I don't have that reaction and can yell it asap.

I try to yell more than I need to as I don't particularly like being on the receiving end of the nearby thump that startles me so I try not to commit them. But I have really found it is more effective (in my groups) for the partners to yell as they don't have that hesitation of reaction time.

Back