"You lifted your head, bro."

I might start saying this to everyone I play with hahaha. miss a putt? You lifted your head, bro. Chunk a bunker shot? Lifted your head, bro. Spill your beer? You lifted your head, bro.

There are certain people I know that I could have way too much fun with this haha.

I guess the next time you get this guy giving you the old head move, I’d politely correct him with the true swing fault. “I’m swaying in my back swing, not getting my weight forward, casting”. Whatever it is. Once he realizes you actually know what you’re talking about he’ll leave you alone.

This ^^^. If you know what you did wrong, tell him.

For me, no matter how much I liked that guy, I would eventually not want to play with him anymore if he couldn't control that. (unless he's a PGA pro and I am actually lifting my head)

I'd try to baffle him with some more technical jargon that lets him know that I am aware of my swing fault and capable of self-diagnosis on a level deeper than "you lifted your head, bro", even if my diagnosis isn't totally accurate

"Technically, I early extended there in order to compensate for my steep downswing that was the result of an improper outside-in swing path. If I didn't early extend there, I would've hit the ground 3 inches behind the ball so I made a last second adjustment to at least try to save the shot and get the ball closer to target. Just gotta work on my swing path to get it all ironed out."

I been under the influence of my instructor for some time now. So when i get well intended but wrong advice (and i often do) I just tell them what it is im doing and why and that its all under my instructors guidance. If they understand the golf swing well enough (sometimes they do) they will usually understand what i say makes sense and then even offer that it make sense now. if they dont know the golf swing well then they usually become a bit surprised how much o know as they see that i kniow more about what im doing than they originally thought. either way they get the message. But i do it all respectfully and in a friendly manor.

I read in Penick's Little Red Book that there is no such thing. (I'll see if I can quote his comments and follow up later). Almost every golfer moves their head, the good golfers move it backwards (never forward). When it is said, it is mostly to give you something to think about.

I'm going to go in a different direction here and say that in my experience you're not going to change this guy. He says it to everybody. Do you think a smart comment is going to make him quit saying it to you? It's like a nervous habit, and it's extremely doubtful anything you say will change it. If you like the guy and enjoy playing with him, just learn to let it go in one ear and out the other. He means no harm. Yes, it's annoying, but there are a lot worse things he could be doing. Just realize that anything you say could alienate the guy, so be willing to risk that if you feel you must say something.

I'm going to go in a different direction here and say that in my experience you're not going to change this guy. He says it to everybody. Do you think a smart comment is going to make him quit saying it to you? It's like a nervous habit, and it's extremely doubtful anything you say will change it. If you like the guy and enjoy playing with him, just learn to let it go in one ear and out the other. He means no harm. Yes, it's annoying, but there are a lot worse things he could be doing. Just realize that anything you say could alienate the guy, so be willing to risk that if you feel you must say something.

Oh I'm with you here 100% It's not so much that it bugs me when he says it to me or anyone else, but he blames it for his miss every single time. I'm not a coach, and I'm not going to step in to tell him how to fix something, but I want to slap him every time he says it, because his belief of this concept is hindering his ability to solve his misses.

Make a fun joke about it, maybe get a t-shirt made with a cartoon "you lifted your head, bro!" and wear it to the next round, he'll stop.

"I DIDN'T MOVE MY F@&*'IN HEAD, BRUH!!!"

~Rock

I been under the influence of my instructor for some time now. So when i get well intended but wrong advice (and i often do) I just tell them what it is im doing and why and that its all under my instructors guidance. .

so much win in this one, and it is what I do myself. Was working on chipping one time when well intentioned guy offered his version of helpful advice to which I responded, "thanks, but that is the exact opposite of what my coach is having me do and...oh, look, here he is now" as Matt pulled up in a cart. Sure enough, showed me minor tweak completely unlike what the "helpful" gent suggested and he got the point

so much win in this one, and it is what I do myself. Was working on chipping one time when well intentioned guy offered his version of helpful advice to which I responded, "thanks, but that is the exact opposite of what my coach is having me do and...oh, look, here he is now" as Matt pulled up in a cart. Sure enough, showed me minor tweak completely unlike what the "helpful" gent suggested and he got the point

Yea, and chipping and the different chipping/short pitching scenarios fwiw is one place we can often get different and even contradicting advice from instructors as well as when watching or reading tips from pros and/or other highly regarded pro golf people. And fwiw it even happens with the swing too. There are certainly different ways, logics, and opinions out there that can contradict. Everyone is so different. I mean yes there are some basic fundamentals that really cant change much, but outside of those its sometimes as though we can say pretty much almost anything goes.

I do think that some people tend to overreact though. I mean even starting a round with strangers and becoming friendly during the round and so someone offers something up to me or another. They do it in a friendly fashion and mean well. Imo often times there is no reason to get so defensive by being offensive. Lord knows the amount of times I been out there hacking it up and someone tries to be helpful. While i may know alot more about myself and what im doing via instruction, i can still appreciate the offered friendly advice. A "thank you, but" would be in my response.

"Shaddap."
"Quiet, you."
"Shut it."

- all used on friends previously.

Depends on how much you like him, I suppose.

My go to response to this guy is.... Shut the F*** up.

That usually works quite well.

My go to response to this guy is.... Shut the F*** up.

That usually works quite well.

I use this liberally with long-time friends and relatives. New friends I may be a bit more gentle. Although, it does draw the loving boundary for comments. (thank you to "Intervention".)

Edit: also, I will have to say it to you just to hear this response if we ever tee it up together, lol.

For me it depends on situation.

First, if I either don't know someone or I do know them and they're just someone who likes to run their mouth and show how smart they are then I have no patience for it. You really have to gauge the temperature in the room with me so to speak before we go down this road. There's one old guy in my league who I won't play with because he won't stop "coaching" me...he does it to everyone, he's not trying to help he's just a motormouth.

Under no circumstances do I ever want to hear after a bad shot, hey grab a club and stand over here for a second...hell no, GTFO with that. I also do not want musings on life, the mental side of the game, or any of that from someone if they do not know me...if I'm hacking my way around the front nine in the mid to upper 40s and seem a little agitated, just leave me be. If I'm otherwise behaving myself, please do not start waxing poetic about how I don't play golf for a living and need to let a bad shot go and whatever other cliche you can think of. Now if I'm acting like an ass, which I really try my best not to do anymore but I'm sure it happens here and there, and you tell me to cool it...that's different and understandable.

All that said, I have friends, people in my league, and every now and then meet someone new who I really enjoy talking golf with while playing and that's a whole different story. If the mood and the conversation goes down that road and it's a two way street where we're both talking golf (as opposed to a lecture) and enjoying ourselves then I don't mind at all talking about what I do right or wrong during my swing...but again, it has to be a willing two way conversation.

Yes. This.

"Head, shoulders, spirits, I've an uplifting soul. You're welcome. "

"Shaddap."
"Quiet, you."
"Shut it."

- all used on friends previously.

Depends on how much you like him, I suppose.

[video=youtube;mlv7Bp-L2MM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlv7Bp-L2MM[/video]

I always just agree with the person and say something like "thanks, i do it all the time and it's so hard to fix but I'm working on it. I'm sure it will happen dozens more times today." I don't normally get any other responses after that.

I always just agree with the person and say something like "thanks, i do it all the time and it's so hard to fix but I'm working on it. I'm sure it will happen dozens more times today." I don't normally get any other responses after that.

That's a solid approach.

YOU LIFTED YOUR HEAD BRO!
We've all met this guy. The guy who thinks, no matter what miss you or he hit, the bad shot is caused solely by head movement ...............

Completely different take on this.

First, I have to say that reading the original post really cracked me up. So next time out with one of my regular playing partners, who does vocally critique his misses, and usually with some accuracy, I told him "No, you lifted your head Bro!" I then told him about this thread, and we got to laughing about it, then started telling each other "You lifted your head Bro" after every bad shot. This one isn't likely to go away soon, it is now part of our on-course banter.

Thank you pmm21, this thread has lead to a great stress reliever when one of us starts getting frustrated after a big miss. One of us will certainly pop off with a "You lifted your head Bro", and start us both laughing.

Completely different take on this.

First, I have to say that reading the original post really cracked me up. So next time out with one of my regular playing partners, who does vocally critique his misses, and usually with some accuracy, I told him "No, you lifted your head Bro!" I then told him about this thread, and we got to laughing about it, then started telling each other "You lifted your head Bro" after every bad shot. This one isn't likely to go away soon, it is now part of our on-course banter.

Thank you pmm21, this thread has lead to a great stress reliever when one of us starts getting frustrated after a big miss. One of us will certainly pop off with a "You lifted your head Bro", and start us both laughing.
I'm so glad it worked in a hilarious capacity!

Posted by my thumbs.

Back