Your favorite Shaft Question

D.Witt

Reaction score
I have not yet experienced a club fitting session where I find out what type of shaft works best for my swing, etc... But for those of you that have... Do you always play that particular shaft in any clubs you get ?

When you buy new irons or woods, do you try the stock shafts first or do you immediately replace them with the shafts that you were fitted for in prior years?

Do you get re-fitted for shafts each time you buy new clubs, as I assume the performance of 1 shaft would vary with different club brands/models/etc. ?

I am beginning to learn about various shaft technologies and just had these few questions for you more experienced golfers.

I have kept the same shaft on drivers as I change models in the past. If I do end up changing shafts, it is usually after playing the new driver with the old shaft in it for a while. I figure that once I get used to the new head, I can test shafts. This way I only have one variable at a time for a good comparison.

Shaft performance varies based on the club it's going in.

I do gravitate towards a profile and will try to play it in a driver if I can. If the feel is right and it matches my tempo I tend to have better success.

I know what I like in terms of weight and ball flight. In my woods if the stock offering is working then no need to switch, if it isn't I have some aftermarket shafts I know will work.

Irons I can say now I will put Recoils in every set I own from here on out.

I'm much more likely to stick to the same shaft in terms of irons than in drivers. Just from personal experience, I've seen that drivers can have more different properties in terms of the head, so the same shaft that you like in one driver may not work in another one. I used the same driver shaft for over 2 years and enjoyed it, but when I got fit for a driver this summer, that shaft was bested by another shaft in the head that I was fit in to. But in terms of irons, I don't think that the variances between heads are as wide as drivers, so it's easier to stay with the same shaft.

TL;DR version: I'm going to stick with PXi in my irons for a while, but am open to change with the driver if the numbers show me improvement over my current setup.

In my irons I have normally played the stock shaft unless it doesn't fit my swing or feel good. My current set is the first time I have gone away from stock. The DG just didn't feel comfortable in my irons so I switched to the KBS tour and love that I did. The KBS brand will probably be an option I look at everytime with irons from this point on.

In FW and Hybrids I have not changed from stock although if I would have bought the Biocell+ hybrid I probably would have put the Black Tie in there, such a great flight and feel.

For my drivers I always start with stock shaft, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't have a preference but there are several I consider. In my G20 I played the Diamana Kailil and it was a great fit. In the g25 I started stock but started having issues with flight so switched to the Diamana blue+ 65, worked great until I started messing with a swing change and ended up going to Whiteboard 72. The others I consider are the KK if stock, Aldila Tour Green and Obon(i like the devotion and the gold).

The numbers, feel, ball flight and contact are things I look at with my fitter and we go from there on shaft options.

Back