Your match play momentum story

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We all know how crazy match play can be.

What's your story about how you either flipped the momentum or had it flipped on you?

I got off to a bad start and I was 6 down thru 8. Nothing was going right. Then I made a 20 footer for birdie on 9 to win the hole. Won 10 and 11. Made another 20+ footer for birdie on 12 for the win. 13 is a tight 380 yard hole with water up the right and trees up the left. I pull 4 iron and he starts giving me the gears. I proceed to hit it 210 down the center. He hits driver into the water. Another one for me. 14 I pulled my drive and found a fairway bunker with a big lip, he's in the fairway. I chunk it out 60 yards short, hit my next one to 10 feet and make the putt. He puts it on and 3 jacks. He was shook. I ended up winning 8 in a row and had him dormie on 17. Made par to win the match 2 & 1. That was the first and only time I've been down 6 in a match.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I had a match play earlier this year where is was up 5 with 6 holes left. I proceeded to melt down and he tied it going to 18. I hit my drive OB twice on 18 and that was that. The thing I learned from that was if my driver starts to fail me go to my 3W and put my ego in the bag.

I had my opponent dormie heading to the 17th tee. I hit drive OB and gave away the hole.

I played 18 solid, hit two good shots and had like 8' for birdie. My opponent had like 30 feet for birdie. I thought the match was over. He made his and I missed and we went to extra holes. That was a massive emotional swing.

On the extra hole he tried to put pressure on me by cutting the corner on a par 5. I ignored that, stuck to my game and played it as a 3 shot hole. He found a FW bunker off the tee. My par won.

Wasn't a flip of the momentum, but a few years ago I was a 10 handicap and played the round of my life to that point. I just never gave my opponent any breathing room at all. When I finished off the match 7 and 6 on the 12th hole, I was even par on the day when my best round up until that time was like 77 or something like that. I just got into a zone and never took my foot off of the pedal. That was fun.

Wasn't a flip of the momentum, but a few years ago I was a 10 handicap and played the round of my life to that point. I just never gave my opponent any breathing room at all. When I finished off the match 7 and 6 on the 12th hole, I was even par on the day when my best round up until that time was like 77 or something like that. I just got into a zone and never took my foot off of the pedal. That was fun.

Can’t beat a dog licence. ��

I wish I had the story where I stepped on my opponents neck and didn't let up, but I do not.

I do, however, have the story where I was up 2.5 to 0.5 against a much better player. He then complimented me, and said "looks like this is not my day", which is the kiss of death for me. Ended up losing 6 to 3.

I just played in a Ryder Cup style event this weekend with my league. I had a good partner for alternate shot and best ball and we won both of the 9 hole matches for that. For singles I had 2 tough opponents for 9 holes. I am at a 10.3 right now and they were an 8 and a 4. I got some strokes but the one thing I had in my head was to keep swinging. I was very aggressive in both matches. It helps it was at a course that I am very familiar with and I know the misses but again keep the foot on the accelerator. One key point in both matches, on different par 5's I blocked a shot OB. Rather than get upset or keep adding to my misery I just conceded the hole. Both times after that I won 2 of the next 3 holes. On stroke play I would then have to grind to try and make it up, in match play it is just another hole. It is hard to give up a hole in a 9 hole match but sometimes it is the proper strategy. Ended up pushing my first match as my opponent made an impressive chip-in birdie on the last hole to square match, and won the second match 3&1. Ended up 3-0-1.

Back