You're cruising on the interstate for a couple hours, what lane are you in?

Which lane are you in a majority of the time?

• Lane 1

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Lane 2

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • Lane 3

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Lane 4

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • all of them pretty equal

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Lane 2 unless I need to pass

For my US friends what is the cost of a traffic ticket ? Just curious and how does it get bracketed ? Say 0-15 kms over limit / 15- and above ? Different rates ?

2 or 3 depending on traffic flow

For my US friends what is the cost of a traffic ticket ? Just curious and how does it get bracketed ? Say 0-15 kms over limit / 15- and above ? Different rates ?

It's different in all 50 states and can also vary by county/city. In MN my 2018 ticket for 9mph(14.5kmh) over was $125 and it didn't go on my record if I keep ticket free for 18 months. In CA that same ticket would cost you more like $300. 10-14mph over in MN is $170.

Lane 1 going faster than most. I'll slide over to #2 to let the speed demons pass and attract all the troopers.

Lane 1 going faster than most. I'll slide over to #2 to let the speed demons pass and attract all the troopers.

Same here. I prefer to keep unpredictable drivers to only the one side of me.

whats the speed limit? cause i am in the lane i can run +10

From my experience of the last 8 years of driving over here, anyone that says anything other than lane 1 is probably telling porkies. The lane discipline over here is beyond a joke.

See our penalty costs …. In attachments

Attachments

• 4A08C110-E08D-463A-AF7F-7DAB231AD73D.png
    4A08C110-E08D-463A-AF7F-7DAB231AD73D.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 6F502AB9-E254-474A-8807-6FA8CA340D95.png
    6F502AB9-E254-474A-8807-6FA8CA340D95.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 8
When driving in DFW I'm not caring what lane I'm in as I'm looking in my mirror to make sure Mr. 100mph isn't going to kill me. On the open road I'm jack rabbiting cars in the left lane to find a pocket of traffic and be by myself in the right lane.

agree with comments on florida. 78 is the avg speed on interstates. get in the right lane if you are doing that speed.

the wildcard now is the truckers. The don't want to get in the right lane. about 1/2 want to park in the second lane from right which they picked up in Covid lockdown. Makes a cluster ouf of traffic imo

Depends on the # of lanes and locale. Lane discipline is a lost knowledge in most cities, so I will travel in the lane that is moving without being a Richard.
However- on my long distance trips on the major interstates I’ll stick to the ‘rules’ as they’re spelled out in the manual. On a 2 lane interstate, it’s the right lane which is “supposed” to be the travel lane. Left lane to pass. On a 3 lane, it’s the middle lane that is the travel lane. Right lane is for slow vehicles, entering and exiting.
The left lane is not the ‘speeding’ lane just because you think you’re entitled to it because the rest of us are following the ‘rules’.

My job is about 25% cruising on the interstate (lots of cruise control) and I spend more time in the left lane than I should but I will quickly move over if I see someone catching up to me.

Lanes 3 and 4 just leave you jammed up and are only good for getting to your exit.

I'm lane 2 if I'm going to be in it for a few hours. I'll go with the flow of traffic and pass a few people but be passed by a lot. I'm a self proclaimed not great driver and I tend to drive the speed limit so most people don't enjoy being a passenger with me.

Up until the last 10-12 years or so I would follow a "rabbit" in the left lane at 20 over the limit, being careful to keep it in sight so I would have enough time to slow down and not get caught when they were pulled over. Now, I am usually in the 2 or 3 lane unless I am preparing to exit. The far right lane (4) is normally so torn up by truck traffic that it's a recipe for damaged tires due to the potholes and broken concrete.

From my experience of the last 8 years of driving over here, anyone that says anything other than lane 1 is probably telling porkies. The lane discipline over here is beyond a joke.
Mark, we live in California. A place of year around golf. It is also a place where a right turn out of the far left lane is so common that it was part of and ad campaign in the mid 80's. :oops:

There are places here in "the Colonies" where people are actually capable of driving. It's not here, apparently not in Ohiotopia, and it also sounds like it's not in Florida during the winter either.

Lane 2 for the most part if there is no traffic. I will avoid lane 1 and 2 due to trucks and fast lane should only be for passing.

A place of year around golf. It is also a place where a right turn out of the far left lane is so common that it was part of and ad campaign in the mid 80's. :oops:

You mean exiting the freeway from the far left lane? Lost count of the amount of times I’ve seen that. Clearly, there are a lot of people that give a flying eff, although, no one seems to care about being stuck behind someone say tootling along in the outside lane. Road rage was a daily occurrence in the UK, here it’s rarer than rocking horse poo.

Would probably be in 2 except to pass.

i scream at those people multiple times a day, 7 days a week

It's only because Floridians drive like maniacs! I've heard this from any number of people who live, or have moved, down there. But then, when I think about it, it happens evereywhere! I was running a sales route in Cleveland and heading out of town on I-480, the "Outerbelt". It was one of the first really nice days of spring. Our madhouse driving seems to be seasonal. We always joke about the people who drive like it "sunny and 75" when the roads are ice and snow covered! Sometimes we expect a Caddy Escalade to pass us while sliding on it's roof!

Anyway, it was dry, sunny and 65 degrees in early April, and everybody was juiced! I was was doing 75 in the "slow" lane and holding my own. the middle lane was going about 85, and God only knows what the fast lane was doing! It had to be 90+! I actually saw a car out there that wasn't quite cutting the mustard have a van come up behind him, ease up to him, and give him a tap in the rear bumper to get him to move over!

And then we had the members of the "Star Boys" motorcycle club, who would ride wheelies at 100 mph between the lanes of traffic! Pure lunacy!

Lane 2 is the lane to be in. Not in anyone's way (assuming you speed like most of us here) and can still move over to pass.

Back