Just a Little Rant

deekay729

Reaction score
Handicap
Short Game
So I played the back 9 in the early AM hrs (6:30AM) before work today and just have a small, but lengthy, rant.

First, I practiced on the putting green before teeing off and the speed was incredibly slow. Hole after hole on the course, the greens varied in speed incredibly. Ended up making maybe three 3-putts as a result of either hitting it too hard and blowing it past the hole on lag putts, or not hitting it hard enough on lag putts and leaving me with yet another not-that-close putt. It was so hard to get adjusted but hey, that's golf lol.

However, the real rant comes from the 18th hole. Par 4, green sits right next to the 10th tee, a very short par 3. I've already hit my approach onto the green. My buddy had an approach of about 130 yds going in. I'm already standing about 30 yards in front of him and way to the left. He sliced the ball and was headed right towards the 10th tee, where there was a group of 4 standing on the tee, chatting away, waiting to hit. Both my buddy and I yelled FORE at the top of our lungs, and I was even flailing my hands in the air, trying to grab their attention. Ball landed maybe 10 yards in front of that group. I'm assuming they weren't paying attention since they were talking to each other. As my buddy was walking to his ball, they teed off, with one guy topping it and hitting it maybe 20-30 yards. As my buddy walked by, the guy goes off on him saying he should've yelled FORE. I walked over and told him we literally did everything in our power to try to get their attention. He says he didn't hear a thing and says tells my buddy maybe he shouldn't be playing. Right then and there, my buddy and I just walked away in disbelief, while this guy hit his 2nd shot, from 20-30 yards in front of the tee, on a 110 yd par 3. I guess this is what we have to deal with in municipal courses.

Sorry for the long rant. It just put a sour taste in my mouth, especially given it was the last hole of what was already a bad golf day, for me at least. What would yall have done?

For the rest of us, we should all start carrying air horns in our bags (sarcasm).

Those guys will get hit by a ball one of these days if they continue to not pay attention in a place where small round things are flying form all directions....

Sounds like he was pissed that he topped his tee shot and need to take it out on someone.

Your right that is golf, a lot worse ways to spend your morning though. Hope the rest of your day goes better!

These situations are always volatile and usually go either way based on someone's response or body language and like you indicated if someone is having a bad day/shot and looking to get it out. If that happens and I'm the one that hit the shot close to the group, I always try and acknowledge them early and way before I arrive to the scene either by waiving my hands or even beginning to speak/yell way before I arrive so to try and alleviate any ill will early. But like you said, if he chooses to be an ass already then not much you can do about it but smile and maybe ask what club he hit on that last shot? :D #IKid!

That's getting to be typical anymore.
They were so busy talking, they weren't paying attention.
Those are also the ones that usually talk so loud, they distract others.
He is probably one that doesn't yell fore.
The reason for his topped tee shot was because he came there to talk, not play golf.
Just ignore them.
If anything make fun of it with your playing partner.
Early in the round when something like that happens, my Son and I use other peoples comments all day.
If we were to hit a tree after that, we apologize to the tree for not yelling fore.
You have to make fun to tolerate it, or stomp their rear.
I choose the fun.

But like you said, if he chooses to be an ass already then not much you can do about it but smile and maybe ask what club he hit on that last shot? :D #IKid!
hahaha perfect, also might acknowledge just how straight he nailed that 30 yarder and ask if he'd offer lessons to your buddy

the jerk imo got too personal when saying you shouldn't be playing. He crossed a line there and would have gotten an earful. I normally turn the other cheek to avoid confrontation cause its just not worth ruining my day. But this jerk crossed a line imo. I mean you guys yell, then go up to explain it all and for the most part probably I a friendly apologetic manor and he basically calls you (in different words) a jerkoff. This ticks me off just reading it. I just hate people like this who have to ruin things for others. Its so bad nowadays the countless amount of people in general who lack respect, common courtesy, and good etiquettes. Its just far too troublesome in society nowadays. It angers me that so many (and not in just golf but anywhere we go and deal with general public) so many people are just so poorly behaved towards each other. I really don't get it and it angers me.

He was just trying to prove his manhood in front of his buddies specially after that wimpy tee shot. Doubt so much he will be this 'confrontational' if he was by himself.

But like you said, if he chooses to be an ass already then not much you can do about it but smile and maybe ask what club he hit on that last shot? :D #IKid!

Died laughing while reading this. #lmao

As the Italians say, "forget about it"!!!! He was pissed at himself and wanted to rip someone to make himself feel better.

It really didn't affect my day at all but it was one of those "huh, did this really just happen?" moments. I just hated the fact that he started off the whole thing very confrontational and accusing us of not saying anything. I HATE being accused of something that's not true. Hey, if none of us said anything, then sure, go ahead, we were the jerks that didn't yell fore and should have that coming to us. I wouldn't be surprised if those guys were the ones that left an empty Bud Light box in the parking lot, not even throwing it out in a garbage can. But hey, that's NYC golf. We're right, even when we're wrong lol

maybe ask what club he hit on that last shot? :D #IKid!

I literally lol'd at this as well. It takes a certain skill that can only be learned high up in the Himalayan mountains to absolutely flush one off the sole of the club.

You did all you could do. There are a lot of people like them that do not belong on the golf course.

Seems like an irritating way to end your round, but it's a pretty minor misconduct all the way around. I'd brush it off and have a good day. If you guys know you yelled FORE then there's nothing more to it, and don't let some random guy get under your skin.

Thanks guys for the positive words. Truly, it really didn't affect me. Just had to let it out somewhere since I had to bite my tongue after the guy got personal with my buddy.

No reason for you to go over there, all your buddy needs to say is I did, sorry and move on with the day.

No reason for you to go over there, all your buddy needs to say is I did, sorry and move on with the day.

If I was further away, then sure. But I was already nearby (walking on that particular side of the green to put my bag down) and he was accusing both my buddy and I. Neither one of us were no closer than 30ft of each other and I didn't really storm over or anything. No harm, no foul.

Last edited:
First, I practiced on the putting green before teeing off and the speed was incredibly slow. Hole after hole on the course, the greens varied in speed incredibly.

Yep, greens are damp and slow in the early mornings and get faster as they begin drying out. Have to always factor that in when playing.

I feel your pain. Earlier this summer (last summer I guess, F you winter!! Lol!) I was playing a par 4 that I'd never been close to flying. This is with at least several hundred lifetime rounds on this course. The wind was reverse normal and at my back so on the tee I hit the GPS on my phone and still figured it at beyond my best guess abilities by at least 30 yards on the fly. More like 50. This is considering every single thing you could consider. I couldn't reach them with my gear, at ABSOLUTE best (worst?) I'd land 30 yards short of the FRONT, and it might run up since it was dry. So I went ahead and hit. You can't wait all day when there is zero danger, right? Anyways, I stepped up and Smited one. Had I waited I'm sure it would have been short and right, straight into the drink. As luck always seems to favor, I pured it. 100%. I wantched it the entire way, seeing it hit (and bounce!), then run some until it ended up either barely on or barely off. Don't know which. The fat bald guy on the green seemed very offended, stopped his putting, and stormed (left out very angry! I might add) to the FRONT of the green from the BACK pin, picked up my offending ball, and proceeded to chuck it into the lake I was trying to avoid. Whiskey Tango? He was in zero danger. None. Only a moron would think that this created any danger for him. It hit so far behind I doubt he even heard it land. Probably caught it in his peripheral vision. That's all I can imagine. I proceed to place it in the front fringe and did get up and down, for bird, I might add. Still thought it was a massive overreach on his part but didn't think any more of it.

Fast forward a few holes and I'm getting ready to chip. I see a golf cart rolling back up on me and it's said fat bald guy (I'm not knocking fat, don't get me wrong, the years and the pounds haven't always been kind here so fat is just part of the description and not a knock). I brace myself thinking that this isn't going to end well. I'm not a small fella, far from it, but I have enough experience dealing with dummies to know that some of them pick the biggest guy they can find and try to punch him in the nose. I'm not looking for that at this point in my life. Large bald guy barks out something and at this point I've already braced myself.. this guy is going to make a scene in front of my kids and it isn't going to end well. I'm in full fight or flight mode and HATING IT. I don't want to be there, particularly when my kids are around. He barks again, I ask... what? Third bark lets me hear, "HAVE YOU SEEN MY WEDGE"?? I'm immediately overcome with happiness. Except I'm in fight or flight mode and I barked back "yeah, I sent it to meet my golf ball!!" Oops. He drives off, angrily I might add. But praise the lord. There were no punches thrown. I wasn't proud of that response as I'd like to think I'm above it (I'm not), but I thought that it wasn't going to end well. I deal with thiefs and such at work occasionally, and one thing I've learned from that is that once it's go time.. It's go time. You either go or you get hurt. Once you make that decision, you "go" until they're in handcuffs. That's where I was. I either dealt with him or I got hurt. I didn't like either possibility, but I'm not getting beat up. Particularly in front of my kids. Wasn't a great day.

Yep, greens are damp and slow in the early mornings and get faster as they begin drying out. Have to always factor that in when playing.

Yeah it was probably in my head anyways. But i did spend a LOT of time on the practice green in the am, since I had to wait for one of my guys running late, and I had a very good idea of how it was rolling from various distances. It would've been easier if ALL the greens dried up at the same rate, making it easier to transition, instead of the green on 10 being super slow, 11 being fast, 12 being average, etc...Come to think of it now, maybe it had to do with whether a green was elevated or not also. Well that's golf. The golf we love.

NYC, say no 'mo!

Only serious/semi-serious issues I've had on the course were in the Bronx (Pelham, Moshulu) and at Bethpage. One was attempted robbery but it was funny. My buddy, and also my partner with the NYPD, and I were playing Moshulu and driving up the cart path right next to the parkway. A guy jumps out with a knife but still some distance away. Freddy slams on the brakes and we jump out and both dig into our golf bags for our off-duty guns. I guess the perp thought we were reaching for our wallets because he actually stuck around. His face once staring down the barrel of two .38s pointed menacingly in his direction was priceless.

I've never started a fight in my life and I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy, I know it's less than a positive on my part, but when it comes to jackasses, I'm always willing to go when they won't return afforded respect, or are devoid of decency or just won't let things go.

99% of them are cowards, 100% morons. I'm only half moron. Shame it's my better half.

I think you and your friend did the right thing in walking away and the guy was definitely in the wrong imho :bad:

His face once staring down the barrel of two .38s pointed menacingly in his direction was priceless.

Was it something like this??

8f523d80f0a46d536b8c32b468964a7c--funny-monkeys-monkeys-animals.jpg

Genuinely not surprised with the Bronx, but Bethpage?? I used to be a caddy there for Black back in the mid 2000's. I've heard stories of guys being obnoxious and stuff but never dealt with it firsthand. Gotta move out of here lol.

Don't know if you're still in the NYPD (assuming not since it says you're in NC) but thanks for your service as a LEO.

I think you and your friend did the right thing in walking away and the guy was definitely in the wrong imho :bad:

Thanks. Neither one of us had the intention of conversating with the guy (aside from a wave and a "sorry about that") as we're both the type to just avoid confrontations. It was just the way the guy delivered his first line that started it off on the wrong foot. Welcome to NYC :laughing::drinks:

Was it something like this??

8f523d80f0a46d536b8c32b468964a7c--funny-monkeys-monkeys-animals.jpg

Genuinely not surprised with the Bronx, but Bethpage?? I used to be a caddy there for Black back in the mid 2000's. I've heard stories of guys being obnoxious and stuff but never dealt with it firsthand. Gotta move out of here lol.

Don't know if you're still in the NYPD (assuming not since it says you're in NC) but thanks for your service as a LEO.
Ha, pretty close! More gaunt though and pale, he was a crackhead.

And thanks pal, much appreciated. I completed my 20 years in 2010 and retired just 8 days beyond. Didn't move down here to NC until 2015. Both kids go to NC State just 22 miles away, we decided on the area before they decided on a school, so very cool for us.

Love NY, so many more fantastic people than bad but down here the people are awesome, activities, events, golf, and the cost of living is tremendous. No going back.

Back