I always throw 5 or 6 balls in the bunker before every round just to see how the sand is at that particular course on that particular day. I usually just make sure to find where I need to bottom the swing out for those particular sand conditions and from there will try to hit a long one that runs out and a short one that lands soft.

I love bunker practice. It's fun experimenting with different set ups and stuff to manipulate how the ball comes out. I don't have any FW bunker areas that allow practice so I don't get to work on that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had a yard I would really consider having a bunker to practice at home. Bunker shots are easy when you practice but can make you look silly if you don't.

When I first joined my club I ask the pro if they have short game practice area, he said which hole would you like to practice. Nice!! I’ve been doing the bunkers practice a couple of times a month.

Yes. My course has a practice bunker on the range, so I practice different clubs and shots. Plus I don't mind playing from the sand.

My home course has 2 practice greens with bunkers around them and I should spend more time there than I do to be honest - not that I am bad out of bunkers, but because I want to become more proficient out of them

Yes during practice rounds. No good bunkers at practice facilities near me, unfortunately. The one that I do have access to, you can only really use it if there's no one else on the range at the time. Otherwise the risk of hitting someone with a skulled shot is very high.

Yes during practice rounds. No good bunkers at practice facilities near me, unfortunately. The one that I do have access to, you can only really use it if there's no one else on the range at the time. Otherwise the risk of hitting someone with a skulled shot is very high.

Sounds similar to my previous course where the practice bunker position wasn't really thought through.....

Greenside bunker ---> Green ---> Car park

And there was no protection between the green and car park in case of a badly hit shot (either skulled or picked clean that flew over the green)

Not very often!!

I rarely practice bunker shots. I know I should, but time just doesn't allow it for me.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Inevitably I'm in them more than once a round if they are prevalent on the course. I practice short game more than anything else in general. I forget what the % is but it's very high in relation to total number of shots from 80yds and in.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Not as much as I should. Bunker game was decent for a few months but as of late has been meh.

Just this year-found a grass driving range with a practice bunker and rough practice green.

Spent about 5 buckets of balls in there practicing green side shots. Started feeling comfortable in the sand. Different clubs until I settled on my 52. Since that, only had two occasions where I two chipped out of the sand. Usually get on the green.

Haven't been able to practice Fairway bunkers. Use whatever the lip will allow.

I'll splash a few out 4-5 times a year maybe. The two courses where I practice my short game have very little sand in them, the face of the bunkers are very steep and the practice "green" is just a closely mown area. Nothing like what you'd find on the course, except for the packed sand part.

I really don't end up in bunkers much anyway. My time is better spent on finding gnarly, buried lies in the greenside rough to practice out of. I end up in that stuff plenty.

Should also note it would be fun to practice fairway bunker shots somewhere. I tend to pick the ball well out of them but when the sand is really fluffy it gets dicey

One of the ranges near me has a greenside bunker in their "short game" area. At the risk of sounding overly arrogant, I don't practice because I don't hit it in the sand often. But when I do the lack of practice really shows.

Funny you should mention it because I spent over and hour hitting greenside bunker shots from the two practice bunkers at my home course on Sunday. For me, bunker practice is a luxury that comes after putting, chipping and wedge practice. I did a ton of bunker practice before kids and am just finding the time to do it again with one out of the house and another that is 18 and never home. I look forward to practicing bunker shots a few days each week once I'm retired.

No I don't. No public places have an area to practice bunker shots.

I’ve gone out to certain holes on the course and hit bunker shots with permission from the pro. Usually it takes some convincing but I’ve done it several times at different places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely. There is a real deep bunker at the club near my house that I can practice all sorts of lies. Unfortunately they don't have a fairway bunker to hit out of on the range. So that practice has to come out on the course. I was fortunate to only be in 3 bunkers this past weekend & was able to navigate them pretty well.

I should be a better bunker player than I am because I do practice from the sand quite a bit. The range I frequent most has a large dual purpose practice bunker and I practice from it at least once a week. I can play out to the chipping green from one side of it or turn around and hit fairway bunker shots out at the targets on the range. I've lasered all the range targets from the center of that trap and the three flags they bought for the chipping green are set at 10 yards, 20 yards, and 35 yards from bunker center. I also practice some from difficult lies, buried, side hill etc... but could do more. Last week I tried to figure out my best way to play from up against the left edge. Reach way down, maybe kneel even, and try to scoop it out righty, stand in bunker back to the pin and try to Jon Rahm it out, or stand in bunker and turn my 8 iron over and play it lefty. Learned that I suck equally at all three.

Not as much as I should. I get some practice on greensides at some of the practice areas here, but longer shots are a little harder to come by good practice areas.

No sir.... which is why I have zero distance control especially from greenside bunkers. Tough to find a range around here that has one for practice.

Green side quite a bit actually, I go to a par 3 course for short game work, but FW is obviously tougher to practice, I'm pretty good at those though and don't get in them often so no big deal.

Anytime I go to the range I’ll throw some in the bunker and practice. Just don’t get to the range as much as I used to.

Bunker practice is the last item off the to do list on the range - drop about 15 balls in there in various positions - short, long, buried - works on the range. Getting better on the course.

Fairway bunker practice? Haven't done that in years - when no one is around I could use the bunker to hit out to the range - thanks for reminding me.

Back