workin on consistency

MPlefty

Reaction score
Handicap
Dear Panda
one of my biggest problem in golf is consistency, I can't repeat a swing. I know it starts at address.

I am usually a grip it and rip it guy, pick a club, walk the ball, swear and go on.

So this will be my goal for the off season when I go at the dome or sim to practice, I need to find a way to create a good, consistent address position.

do you have a recomendation of preshot routine or something that will help me have a repeatable address position, in hope to eventually have a repeatable swing?

Thanks

workin on consistency

A good base is key to set up as is posture. So let's get your feet shoulder width apart or just a hair outside the shoulders. Knee flex, the knees slightly over your laces. The bend at the waist should match that of the knees. Not too much but enough so that the arms hang from the shoulders and give you about 6" of space. We don't want you reaching out for the ball or have your hands too close to the thighs.

That takes care of set up. Now as you approach each shot we will need to find an aim point just in front of the ball that falls between the club and the target. You'll set the club up on this intermediate point so that its square to that point. You'll set your body up parallel to the face of the club. I like to square the back foot up to the face of the club. Then I square everything else up. This process will take time but once you have it down it will be second nature.

This is just part of the swing. I know plenty of guy that have great setup and horrible swings. I also know a few guys that have horrible set ups and great results from their swings. Learn the setup and then let's work on your action.

Consistency in positioning/posture/ball placement is honestly where I really struggle. Depending on the day, it can vary greatly (which is pretty horrifying to say after playing steady for the past 8 years).

Creating a repeatable stance (in an ask Freddie post he said I should narrow my stance), with consistent posture is something I really want to key on..... well, as much as you can in the winter without full swings.
But come spring time, it is #1 on my list to work on.

Marty, considering our games are eerily similar (except your swing is prettier) I'm interested to follow along.

Curious to hear from Freddie's experience helping the swings of some mid-high cappers where he sees it go off the rails from one good swing to a bad one or even one good round to one bad round and why.

A good base is key to set up as is posture. So let's get your feet shoulder width apart or just a hair outside the shoulders. Knee flex, the knees slightly over your laces. The bend at the waist should match that of the knees. Not too much but enough so that the arms hang from the shoulders and give you about 6" of space. We don't want you reaching out for the ball or have your hands too close to the thighs.

That takes care of set up. Now as you approach each shot we will need to find an aim point just in front of the ball that falls between the club and the target. You'll set the club up on this intermediate point so that its square to that point. You'll set your body up parallel to the face of the club. I like to square the back foot up to the face of the club. Then I square everything else up. This process will take time but once you have it down it will be second nature.

This is just part of the swing. I know plenty of guy that have great setup and horrible swings. I also know a few guys that have horrible set ups and great results from their swings. Learn the setup and then let's work on your action.

Thanks Freddie, I will keep that in mind.

do you think practicing setting up to a target at home, without being able to do a full swing, in hope to engrain some kind of muscle memory of a good setup is worth it? or do you think I just take a risk of gaining some kind of bad habits?

Marty, considering our games are eerily similar (except your swing is prettier)

agree to disagree.

Thanks Freddie, I will keep that in mind.

do you think practicing setting up to a target at home, without being able to do a full swing, in hope to engrain some kind of muscle memory of a good setup is worth it? or do you think I just take a risk of gaining some kind of bad habits?

agree to disagree.

If you can do this in front of a mirror it would be helpful. In blank space it will really be counter productive

854e9f30ba0393d1e5d0c45b5eb6e07e.jpg

2c40c58bb230e78499273bc045cc81ec.jpg

Text book right here

Its amazing what you see in pictures. That right hand just looks SO relaxed! Gotta work on that.

JM

Marty, considering our games are eerily similar (except your swing is prettier) I'm interested to follow along.

Curious to hear from Freddie's experience helping the swings of some mid-high cappers where he sees it go off the rails from one good swing to a bad one or even one good round to one bad round and why.

From my own experiences and from watching guys I play with who struggle with a lot of this as well I have few things outside of what Freddie has talked about working in here. Over swinging/too long if a backswing(something I also fight) and fishing the takeaway. Also inconsistent takeaway usually getting to far inside
Dear Panda
one of my biggest problem in golf is consistency, I can't repeat a swing. I know it starts at address.

I am usually a grip it and rip it guy, pick a club, walk the ball, swear and go on.

So this will be my goal for the off season when I go at the dome or sim to practice, I need to find a way to create a good, consistent address position.

do you have a recomendation of preshot routine or something that will help me have a repeatable address position, in hope to eventually have a repeatable swing?

Thanks

Regarding something to help you with Freddie's comments about setup is to use alignment rods. Stick one the rough the belt loops across your waist and another across your chest. With another one or club at your toes. This will help you check to make sure everything is setup square

Back