The Match Play Chronicles

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Last fall, with an eye toward prepping for the 2014 Grandaddy ("just in case"), I decided to start playing some match play events. Fast forward to this spring and I'm playing in another match play event. I thought a thread dedicated to lessons learned and the experience of playing a different format might be helpful for guys who get picked to play in the 2015 GD. Perhaps others might like to chime in here with their experiences and advice. And at least for another month it can be a place where I update my progress in this event.

The format for all but one of these matches is straight handicap (e.g., 10 vs 5 gets 5 strokes), players get their opponent and have a month to complete an 18 hole match, the players agree on the course and tees to be played.

Match 1 / Fall, 2014 (giving @5 strokes)
QUICK RECAP: My first match play event ever and I was very nervous. I got behind early and didn't know how to handle it.
RESULT: Lost something like 3 and 2.
LESSONS(S) LEARNED:
1. Match play really is a different beast; there's no substitute for experience.
2. You have to find a way to overcome the nerves.

Unhappy with Match 1 results I found another match play event being hosted by a golf course (i.e., slightly different format and rules). My objective was to see if the first match was a fluke - could I show up, not be nervous and actually make a match out of it?

Match 2 / Fall, 2014 (getting @3 strokes)
QUICK RECAP: I played great through 12 holes, then could feel myself losing mental focus. I think I went to 13 something like up 4. I then proceeded to collapse like Jean van de Velde at The Open. Seriously. Freaking. Ugly.
RESULT: I lost my lead and lost the match on the 19th hole.
LESSONS(S) LEARNED:
1. Closing out a match doesn't just happen. It is a skill and you have to learn/know how to do it.
2. No matter what is happening on the course, don't be a d*ck (I was a gentleman and nice when I was way up, as well as when I collapsed. My opponent appreciated that and invited me for a round at his rather exlusive CC)

This match was devastating. I was incredibly frustrated and disappointed with myself and miserable. I stepped away from the format for a while. In time I was ready to try again and signed up for a 32 person event with the same organization that hosted Match 1.

Match 3 (round of 32) / Spring, 2015 (giving @3 strokes)
QUICK RECAP: I was extraordinarily focused and determined. I played great.
RESULT: I finally won a match, 4 and 3.
LESSONS(S) LEARNED:
1. Stay in the moment
2. Truly, one shot at a time
3. When up in the match and needing to close things out, see points 1 and 2.

Match 4 (round of 16) / Spring, 2015 (getting @4 strokes)
QUICK RECAP: I played very well. I recognized the opportunity to really put the hammer down on 15 and 16 and did so, going to 17 with my opponent dormie. I then very stupidly gave away 17. He made an incredible putt on 18 to send it to OT.
RESULT: I took the first extra hole to win the match.
LESSONS(S) LEARNED:
1. Don't give away any holes!!!
2. If you decide to hit a club/shot, 100% commit to it.
3. Other people feel pressure too. Hitting a succession of simply solid shots can affect them.
4. Expect the unexpected...and be mentally ready to bounce back from it quickly.

Match 5 (round of 8) / Spring, 2015 (giving 10 strokes)
QUICK RECAP: A rematch against the person from my very first match. Inexplicably, I felt really nervous before the match. I got behind early thanks to three separate horrible shots on 3 of the first 4 holes but hung in there mentally and made a nice comeback.
RESULT: I won the match 1 up.
LESSONS(S) LEARNED:
1. You don't always show up with your A game.
2. Hang tough and find a way to get the ball in the hole.
3. Sometimes it isn't pretty. That's okay. Stay calm. Just survive and advance.

Match 6 (The Final 4) / Sept 2015 (getting @9 strokes)
TBD...

IMHO the big take aways for the guys heading to the 2015 Grandaddy are to get some experience with different formats and learn to stay in the moment, hitting one shot at a time. Put another way, no matter what our opponent does and no matter what type of shot we decide to hit we want to hit a good shot. So just ignore whatever "noise" is going on in your mind and fully focus and commit to a mental approach of "let's just hit a solid shot here." Every single time.

Last edited:
Match 5.5 / September 6th, 2015 (even strokes)
Bring it on!

For the Final 4 the course is picked by the organization that puts on the event. I found out the course this week: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...on-Golf-Club&p=3734497&viewfull=1#post3734497. While a wonderfully scenic course, this is definitely not what I was hoping for - probably the last course I would have picked. I've never played well here, so I'm going to have to figure something out. I've got a month. The semi-final matches are at 8am; the winners meet at 1pm in the final match.

I'm curious why Oregon has you freaked out Kapp?

I'm curious why Oregon has you freaked out Kapp?
Oh, I'll be okay. Not a fan of all the uneven lies, the greens are tricky (to me), etc.

Man I am not a fan of that course either. I've only played it once. To me it lacks a personality. The holes are so individualistic and lack an overall vibe. Made it hard for me personally to get in sync with the course.

That's a great recap of your match play experience and what you've learned is essential. Match play is a different beast and must be practiced, especially for folks that are headed to an event like the Grandaddy. Practice can be as simple as playing a match play round with a friend, but the more pressure the better.

One thing you mentioned that I completely agree with is, "Other people feel pressure too. Hitting a succession of simply solid shots can affect them." Steady golf with a side of tidy chip and/or a long putt, can absolutely crush an opponent. In match play, once they are down, the idea is to kick them repeatedly. All while being a gentleman and good sport. No surrender, no retreat!

Was a blast Frank. I have to say I missed the ups and downs of playing against someone instead of par. Correct me on any of these if I am wrong I am trying to do it from memory.

First hole: Both had good looks at birdie luckily Frank didn't make his after I missed mine (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous after seeing his approach shot and then missing my putt)

Second hole: Frank hits horrible drive I hit a great one. He hits his approach just short of the green and I rushed a swing and ended up short-sided in a bunker. (On the way to the green I was going to give him the hole. I didn't practice out of the sand) He proceeds to chip to a few inches as I am walking to the bunker. So basically if I don't hit this perfect I go down one. I figured there was nothing to lose so I took an aggressive swing and hit probably the second best sand shot I have ever hit to tap in range.

Third hole: Both hit good drives. I hit a special approach and got pretty lucky. Missed my birdie putt thinking it would break but saved par. Frank's second was at the lowest part of the green. I knew that because of the grain I saw on the practice green his putt would be slow. He left it halfway there. I think I went 1up here.

Fourth hole: Par 3...I miss clubbed and rolled back off the green frank hit pin high. My chip was too aggressive and I missed a pretty simple putt for par thinking it would break again. Back to even.

Fifth hole: Wind...Bad distances...bad holes for both of us.

6th hole: pars

7th hole: This hole was kind-of a joke for both of us. Distances were way off because the starter told us we had to lay up on this hole or be in water. Left us both 200+ in over water. We both ended up in water.

8th hole: Frustrating par 5 with the wind. Should have birdied and didn't. Frank had a rough go. Up 1.

9th hole: Both hit great drives. Both short right on the approach into the wind. Chipped to about even distances. I missed my putt to save par. Frank left his putt about 5 feet short. Seeing how he was doing putting and knowing that the putt was slow I didn't give it to him. He left it short by a rotation. Up 2 to finish the front.

10th hole: Frank hit a good drive. I hit a meh one. Thought I was OB so I took a drop. Frank found my tee shot and tbh I was surprised he was nice enough to tell me lol. We both hit layup shots. Frank hit first and I saw the wind take his ball hard left into the bunker. I aimed right and hit a punch shot thinking the wind would bring it back left. It didn't but I was pin high on the right of the green. Two putted for par. Up 3.

11th hole: Got my confidence back for a few holes after starting the back like that. Played the short par 4 to my strengths. Hit 3W and 56* in and just missed birdie yet again.

12th hole: Par 3. Frank had rough go. I tried to help him get back into the hole to see how he would react. Up 4.

13th hole: Long par 4 into the wind. Frank hit well I hit pretty bad off the tee. Ended up hitting 3wood since I left 3h in the car...went through the green by a yard or two. Saved par with a good chip. I think up 5 here.

14th hole: Wanting to close out the match 6 and 4 I went aggressive. The wind didn't help the way I thought and I ended up just short. Frank hit pin high. I wanted to be aggressive with the chip to end it. Still not sure what happened. Bladed the chip through the green. Bladed the next chip again. two putted for a double. Up 4.

15th hole: Lost my swing completely on this hole and tweaked my wrist. Snowman. up 3.

16th hole: Hit a great drive. Hit 3 wood into the bunker just short. just missed the birdie putt but saved par. Win 4 and 2.

My game was nowhere near what it has been in the past. I played 8 holes poorly (two after the match). Realistically there were two holes on the front and two on the back that would have killed me. I had a triple/double on the front and a quad/double on the back. On the front those holes probably wouldn't have happened had I played the course before. I can't see myself dropping 5 shots on the front like that. On the back I dropped 6 shots in two holes. One I can't explain what happened and the other I gave up on/hurt my wrist. In all that is 11 shots that take me from a 76 to an 87. I was lucky on those holes but realistically that is 4 lost holes in a match. I let the wind get to me the whole day. Miss clubbed on a lot of approaches (6/18 greens) when I know I should be higher if I don't play dumb. The killer for me was fairways. I am usually a high percentage player and I was at 57% during the round. It is hard to win holes when you don't put the first shot in a position that helps the next one.

Thanks for playing the match with me Frank. I hope it helped you as much as it helped me.

My take on the match with c0ncept was that I intentionally played a better player straight up, so I knew I was going to need my A game. I didn't have it. And I got a little stymied by having a different ball flight than normal, which led to a lack of confidence over the ball. I got too focused on Golf Swing instead of Playing Golf. That contributed to a lack of mental sharpness and confidence, which lead to some very unusual flubs around the green and things snowballed a bit from there. It was a solid reminder about how Match Play is a different beast and hopefully a lesson in recognizing when I'm about to go off the rails so I can mentally reset.

Nice thread and great recap - Match play is a different beast, no question.
Glad you got some practice, really appreciate the advice!!

I haven't played a ton of match play, but I really need to play more. Have had some great matches in the past, and it really amps the pressure up. Good info Frank and Andrew!

Tomorrow is it. The last four go off as a single group at 8am. Semi final winners play the finals at @1:15. I've done my work this week, now it's time to play - my game is what it is. Course management and mental approach is going to be very important. I may have caught an unexpected break to get a few unexpected strokes because they announced the matches with course handicaps which has me at 14 going against a 4 (pure indexes are 11.5 v 3.7). Playing someone that good means I need to bring it ... I need to make Mr Par my very good friend.

Last edited:
relax, have fun and let the outcome take care of itself. regardless of that...you know we love you man. good luck and have a good time on the course

relax, have fun and let the outcome take care of itself. regardless of that...you know we love you man. good luck and have a good time on the course
I don't care what Yeti says about you buddy, you are all right.

Go win that thing Frank! Stay calm and relaxed. Play your game and play smart! Good luck brother!

Best of luck in your match!

Match 6 (Semi-Finals) / October, 2015 (getting 10 strokes)
QUICK RECAP: A weird day where I was money at the range in warm ups, not nervous at the course but still sucked during the match. I didn't do anything during the match to put pressure on my opponent, which was pretty disappointing. My opponent got some crazy breaks, made a couple of incredible shots and I had a sequence of holes where I threw away holes by not being able to hit a freaking wedge. That combo broke my spirit. And with all that I still hung very tough and was in the match to the end. This was an eminently winnable match and I didn't get it done. Very frustrating and disappointing.
RESULT: I lost 2 and 1.
LESSONS(S) LEARNED: Honestly, I'm still processing this one and I'm not sure. I choked and I don't know why.

Match 7 (Consolation Match) / October, 2015 (getting 3 strokes)
QUICK RECAP: This one happened immediately after Match 6. I am proud of myself for putting that match behind me and just getting after it. I played pretty well - very solid off the tees and finally started making some putts. I shot 39 on the front and posted an 85 overall, which is the best I've ever done by a long shot at this course...and we were playing from 6600 yards (136 slope), which is probably more like 6900 with all the elevation changes.
RESULT: I took 3rd place with a 2 and 1 victory.
LESSONS(S) LEARNED:
1. Short game, short game, short game. The matches this day were me, a 4, 6 and 8 handicaps. The lower caps hit the ball a little better, but nothing so dramatic that I ever felt over matched. However, every one of them was definitely better around the greens. They always had shorter putts than me after pitches and chips.
2. Playing 36 holes in one day isn't that hard physically. As you get a little fatigued later in the day it can be helpful to club up and take shorter, more controlled swings.

Last edited:
Congrats on the 3rd place buddy!

3rd place is nothing to shake a stick at way to go Frank!

Congrats on the 3rd place buddy!
3rd place is nothing to shake a stick at way to go Frank!
Thanks guys.

The flow of the match was that I was down 2 early and fought back hard - even though I wasn't playing particularly well - to get back to even at the turn. The momentum had turned in my favor. The sequence of great luck / great shots by him and me not executing basic wedge shots happened between holes 10-15. The match was there for the taking and I didn't get it done. The worst part is those holes broke my spirit mentally. I hate that. The tone of my recap captured that disappointment. But 3rd out of 32 is a solid result, and certainly MUCH better than the prior 2 match play events I entered. So its all good!

Last edited:
Good work, Frank!

Some morning after thought for the GD guys.

Really, playing 36 yesterday while riding in a cart wasn't a big deal and as those who know me can attest to, I'm not exactly in great physical shape. The harder part is staying mentally sharp that long. I'd also keep an eye on your motivation / readiness to turn around and play golf again the next day.

And I want to reiterate what I pointed out above - the lower handicap guys are only marginally better ball strikers. But dang their short games are good. Any and all time spent here will pay big dividends.

Just found this thread frank, congrats on the 3rd place. Some good reading here. Was it Karma that picked the course that you reviewed? :D I can understand some of the pressure felt with match play now that I got my 1st round of 4 in. It's certainly not like breaking those barriers, 80/90/100 and so on.

Just found this thread frank, congrats on the 3rd place. Some good reading here. Was it Karma that picked the course that you reviewed? :D I can understand some of the pressure felt with match play now that I got my 1st round of 4 in. It's certainly not like breaking those barriers, 80/90/100 and so on.
That made me laugh. The course turned out to be a last second change. I found out during the match that it was all set to be held at Pumpkin Ridge's private course (Witch Hollow) but they cancelled at the last minute. That would have been special - the site of Tiger's Amateur championship, etc. - and a place I've never played.

Back