what part of your game suffers the most after some time off with no play or practice

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
whatever amount of time that may be even if just short. Basically you didn't pay and/or practice for a little while and/or simply varied from your usual routine. You had a break in your routine. Life got in the way, weather got in the way, whatever the case and reasons. Then you do finally go out and play. What suffers the most.

For me its short game feel. I can lose the feel for those greenside touchy/feely shots. As for ball striking itself? That part can be helped or hurt by a break. But Id have to say losing the feel in my greenside game is probably the area that suffers the most. Even putting seems to go either way like ball striking. But greenside chip/pitch where touch and feel comes in is what seems to suffer the most for me. Not always but more often than other things.

Last edited:
absolutely short game for me; not putting but the chip and pitch stuff can get real ugly and out of sync

Anything that is not a full swing outside of the putter. Putter and driver seem to be able to hold up. I came back this year having 9 years between swings. Driver and putter were not that bad. Chipping and half wedges have still not made it back 100%. For me a month away is about the same as 9 years. I can still hit the ball but I can't control it.

Short game around the green and finding the low point on irons. The rest is hit or miss on how I play after a break.

Short game, without a doubt, especially green-side wedges.

agree with all the others. My short game suffers the most

The only thing that doesn’t suffer for me, is the tee game. That always seems to improve after some time off, but everything else goes to ISH so much so that I can’t even pick a ‘worst.’

i mean, everything? it all gets a little off and the score really suffers. the worst is probably just reverting to bad fundamentals in the full swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel and tee shot consistency

Sent from my HTX

Usually chipping. But after my recent 4 month layoff, after two brief trips to the practice green for putting/chipping practice, I was good to go. That's NEVER happened before.

I practiced a lot last year into this and thought I had an epiphany of sorts, hope this is evidence that I've ingrained my stroke.

Short game.

25 yards and in for me

Short game. 100 yards and in. And especially the short chips.

Short game and putting. Everything else comes naturally, but I always work on my wedge play and putting year around.

Ball striking with my irons. I'm horrible on approach after a long layoff.

Chipping and putting, the feel shots.

Everything suffers for me. Takes me a good while, like 4 weeks, to get back to decent golf.

Everything suffers for me. Takes me a good while, like 4 weeks, to get back to decent golf.

Fwiw this doesn't have to refer to an extended break. This can mean perhaps one plays and practices 2,3,4 times a week between both but yet couldn't do anything at all for even just a couple weeks.

Biggest part of my game that suffers with any kind of break is the 7,8, 9 iron game.
You don't need to be chipping as much if you can hit the green in regulation.

Swings into par 3 holes are completely with 7 or 8 irons for me so that's another area that gets affected.

Full swing and short game. Short game comes back quickly, however.

My short game suffers the most. I lose touch and feel around the green. Shots tend to go left and short or long. Just get an uncomfortable feel over the ball. My mind keeps thinking, grip firmer..no lighter...dont chunk it or blade..shutup JP and just hit it.. I do believe the golf god is punishing me..

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Used to be a lot of things. Then I started creating my own checklist. It's taken years to develop it and it doesn't mean I can just go out after a layoff and perform like nothing happened, but the gap in performance is a lot less than it was.

My short game,mostly chips to be exact.

For me it is iron play, which is weird because it is the best part of my game. I think it’s because my short game and putting can’t possibly get any worse, and my tee game always just seems to hold steady.

Back