how far off the green do you/would you still putt vs chip

I chip from anything over 12"-18"' off the green.This year my chipping has been the best part of my game with a hole-in every two or three rounds.I play with one guy who can't chip or use a wedge, so I have seen him putt from 30 yrds. if there is no trap or other trouble between him and the green.

If I'm only 1 foot off the green I always chip using my 7 iron and have holed quite a few that way.

I almost always chip. I am much better at chippng than putting.

It really depends on a lot of factors. But I suspect the way Seastrunk answered is really the elephant in the room. Putting and chipping are both strong points in my game, length is not (oh how I'd love to hit it 300 yards like some of you).

Not that it is right or wrong but I find it interesting several people are talking about how they can hole chips with non putters off the green and not about their average or bad results and which is better.

Is the tee box to far away

I do out to 20 yards regularly. My worst putt will always be better than my worst chip.

The longest I would putt would be 3 - 6 ft. from the green

If I have a realistic chance to make it, I putt (so inside 15ft). Or if going past the hole is deadly, because I tend to be over aggressive chipping and go 4-8ft past regularly.

Is the tee box to far away

hahaha....I here ya man. There are times when playing is so bad Ive often said I should just putt the entire hole. At least I wont lose the ball and Ill be in the fairway the whole way............I hope:confused2:

Last edited:
As long as it's decent turf, I'll go 20 yards or so. Through rough, as long as it's not HEAVY rough, I will go though five feet maybe, included in the 20 yards.

My friend from Arizona used his putter from 70 yards and put it to a few feet when he was in town last month. Awesome display.

I never putt from more than about two feet off the green, and only do that if I’m short sided. I’m such a terrible putter that adding in longer grass is just a recipe for disaster.

I don't putt very often from off the green. I am much more confident in my wedges from that area. I will putt though if I am short sided and there's less than 20 feet or so from where my ball is and the hole.

Depending on how close the grass is cut. Putter through 20 feet plus a couple times. Think any further I would chip it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getting further and further away. A badly missed putt still better than a badly missed chip

hahaha....I here ya man. There are times when playing is so bad Ive often said I should just putt the entire hole. At least I wont lose the ball and Ill be in the fairway the whole way............I hope:confused2:

3 or 4 years ago I went to a really tight course. I was in a really bad frame of mind, I was deeply upset about some family stuff, almost canceled on the guys but decided not to stand them up. I should have. I was miserable, upset, and it showed. And I played horribly. We were playing a 2 man scramble and the other team was hoping for me to hit a good shot.

Finally we come to the 450ish par 5 that is so steep uphill it plays about 600. I launch my tee shot into the trees. My partner dribbles one about 80 yards. I launch my 4h into the trees, he advanced us about 50 yards. I put a 6i into the trees. He advanced us about a hundred. Having put three in the trees and still about 200 out I say "I am not losing this one" and pull my putter. And promptly toe it straight into the woods....

Yep, I can lose a ball with a putter. Today I find it very funny.

and for years I have apologized profusely to the guys for that day. They knew the situation and I greatly appreciate their kindness and support in what was a very trying time.

3-4 feet max off of the green for a putter.

Really depends on how thick the fringe is. Some courses I would putt through 4-5', but others if it was a foot or more I would rather chip.

I don't really have a limit. I'll use whatever club I think is highest percentage play, usually.

Last round I played my ball was 5 or 6 yards off the green and the pin was cut 2 yards on and sloping away. A pitch shot would have to be perfect to carry on and stop it close. A bump and run would be easy to leave short or bump too hard. So, I putted it up to about a foot.

My best putt is almost always better than my best chip/pitch.
My average putt is always better than my average chip/pitch.
My lousy putt is waaay better than my lousy chip/pitch.

Yup, there is no set number for this, I choose the club based on conditions, there are times I'll chip just off the green, and others I'll putt from 15' off, it depends on the course.

I don't really have a limit. I'll use whatever club I think is highest percentage play, usually.

Last round I played my ball was 5 or 6 yards off the green and the pin was cut 2 yards on and sloping away. A pitch shot would have to be perfect to carry on and stop it close. A bump and run would be easy to leave short or bump too hard. So, I putted it up to about a foot.

My best putt is almost always better than my best chip/pitch.
My average putt is always better than my average chip/pitch.
My lousy putt is waaay better than my lousy chip/pitch.

No truer words have been spoken by Man.

Totally depends on the surface I'm playing from. If it is tight and smooth, the putter is my first option. If not then I have to debate with myself ( I usually lose!!).

It depends, sometimes I’d use my Texas wedge from even 25 yards off the green. I even use it out of the bunker(low lip) a few times. Vice versa, I’d use my 64* on the fringe a couple of yards from the pin.

assuming you've got good enough conditions without bare spots, clumpy grass, weeds, holes, whatever the case. And so its a decent enough fairway/apron. What determines a putt vs chipping. And just how far do you get before saying its time to chp this one?

For me...I tend to putt from only a few feet. A couple yards at most and then its most always a chip. I don't know why exactly but part of the reason is that sometimes I like to chip and honestly if Im not chipping well I tend to chip even more just to practice it and get it right. Im kind of stubborn with myself like that.

If there are not any blades of grass higher than the ball in the way, I will putt up to 10-15 yards off the green.

Back