perhaps minor but how would you manage this hole

I would lay up and play a wedge as 2nd shot. I do not have the game to go for the green. The only time I would try that is if I really need to catch up in a competition or something, then I might go for the green.

I understand your good post.
Tempting the gods with a pure and successful (and lets fact it, more difficult) strike is always something to feel great about. But only so long as one doesn't then cry the blues about their scoring afterwards when they only make it 1 in 15 times and as they fail at that more often than not while they keep repeating that failure. However if they live very well with failing more often than not at those attempts than so be it, have at it all day. Or in "some cases as I have said, some of you do indeed certainly posses this shot and therefore its simply then not as risky for those of you.

But you also do say it serves one well to know your strengths , and that conversely also means understanding your weaknesses. And that whole thing is sort of what I been mentioning to be something I have learned from our community here.
Yes but you mentioned in two post that you can't believe so many would try to closer to the green. Which tells me it bugs you..even in this post you feel the chances are slim. And those that fail shouldn't get upset. That's a great deal.of directing on your part for a hypothetical shot. Lots of assumption on your end about the players making that shot. So im.curious, are you wishing you could pull if or have you played with guys that just get in a possible poor mood when they fail. Something about going for it doesn't sit well with you.

Yes but you mentioned in two post that you can't believe so many would try to closer to the green. Which tells me it bugs you..even in this post you feel the chances are slim. And those that fail shouldn't get upset. That's a great deal.of directing on your part for a hypothetical shot. Lots of assumption on your end about the players making that shot. So im.curious, are you wishing you could pull if or have you played with guys that just get in a possible poor mood when they fail. Something about going for it doesn't sit well with you.

I can see where my posts are implying what you say they do.
I (playing mostly as single) guess its really that there are very many players I have often been with who take shots they really will only pull off once out of very many attempts and then piss and moan about it and about their score because of it. And one of things learned/suggested here(THP) has often been to imply to people "don't beat yourself up with bad choices" "make good choices" if you want to score better more consistently. That logic itself (learned here) is what actually implies or suggests that one shouldn't get angry after continuously failing at shots to difficult to make. In other words, stop being your own worst enemy by beating yourself up, play within your means, and you should have less reason to get angry.

Can I make the green shot? Technically yes I can, Long enough and also when having a real good day from the tees I can. But (for me) the amount of times I would be successful vs in trouble is not even close and it would cost me more often than it would help me so I play it the other way. I know that's not the case for others and some of you will succeed often or often be close enough where it doesn't hurt you. So while I posses the ability I don't posses the ability to consistently succeed at it often enough. Hence the difference between myself and those much better.

Part of my thoughts may simply be because I have never been with a group where one (that I have witnessed) has tried the green shot and perhaps that's where the word "surprised" feeling I have comes in. I started the post talking about those who try to just simply get a little closer by risking the corner and the trees a little and then end up failing at that simpler task more often than not. Taking it a giant step further and going for the green was a bit surprising to me.

But next time there I am going to have look better at the green play and see if its even an option. I assume if it was I'd probably see people trying it often enough. So its possible those trees are just too tall and may also depend on tee location too. There are trees next to the tee as well.

Im not trying to dictate and tell people what to do. None of that bother me and my game. I just like good company when I play with others.

I can see where my posts are implying what you say they do.
I (playing mostly as single) guess its really that there are very many players I have often been with who take shots they really will only pull off once out of very many attempts and then piss and moan about it and about their score because of it. And one of things learned/suggested here(THP) has often been to imply to people "don't beat yourself up with bad choices" "make good choices" if you want to score better more consistently. That logic itself (learned here) is what actually implies or suggests that one shouldn't get angry after continuously failing at shots to difficult to make. In other words, stop being your own worst enemy by beating yourself up, play within your means, and you should have less reason to get angry.

Can I make the green shot? Technically yes I can, Long enough and also when having a real good day from the tees I can. But (for me) the amount of times I would be successful vs in trouble is not even close and it would cost me more often than it would help me so I play it the other way. I know that's not the case for others and some of you will succeed often or often be close enough where it doesn't hurt you. So while I posses the ability I don't posses the ability to consistently succeed at it often enough. Hence the difference between myself and those much better.

Part of my thoughts may simply be because I have never been with a group where one (that I have witnessed) has tried the green shot and perhaps that's where the word "surprised" feeling I have comes in. I started the post talking about those who try to just simply get a little closer by risking the corner and the trees a little and then end up failing at that simpler task more often than not. Taking it a giant step further and going for the green was a bit surprising to me.

But next time there I am going to have look better at the green play and see if its even an option. I assume if it was I'd probably see people trying it often enough. So its possible those trees are just too tall and may also depend on tee location too. There are trees next to the tee as well.

Im not trying to dictate and tell people what to do. None of that bother me and my game. I just like good company when I play with others.

I understand what you are saying, and while I said i would go for the green, that isn't always the most prudent play. I think the situation would decide for me if I should go for it. If I am playing in a tournament and know that I only need a par on the hole, I'm laying up in the fairway and trying to put my second shot in the middle of the green. If I'm playing a casual round, or need to make something happen in a tournament I will on the risk.

While I want to shoot the best score, possible
I also believe in having fun when I play and hitting a 5 or 6 iron off the tee on a par 4 is just not fun or interesting to me. I would rather get the rush of going for it and dealing with the consequences of the miss.

I think the debate on what to do isn't a question for the hole it is a question for the golfer.

If you are playing well and have the game to go over the trees reliably (and also the short game to get out of trouble if you don't) then going for the green is a smart play (I think going for the shorter wedge shot isn't enough reward to warrant the risk). If you can't reliably make the shot and handle the consequences, then the layup is the right play.

The determining factor isn't the hole, it is the golfer. And one reason many go for it and fail is that they don't accurately see/assess what kind of golfer they are.

I understand what you are saying, and while I said i would go for the green, that isn't always the most prudent play. I think the situation would decide for me if I should go for it. If I am playing in a tournament and know that I only need a par on the hole, I'm laying up in the fairway and trying to put my second shot in the middle of the green. If I'm playing a casual round, or need to make something happen in a tournament I will on the risk.

While I want to shoot the best score, possible
I also believe in having fun when I play and hitting a 5 or 6 iron off the tee on a par 4 is just not fun or interesting to me. I would rather get the rush of going for it and dealing with the consequences of the miss.

Good post. Its funny because when we talk of having fun I guess it depends where one is within his game and how he/she approaches his game which dictates what fun is. For me currently I seem to have most fun when I play shots that the hole gives me. In this case here this hole says (to me) here is position "A" and so on and I really enjoy when I get the par with also having had a chance at bird by making the shots for what the hole has asked me to do. To me that is both fun and interesting. But again, that's for me only and at my current place within my golf game. Playing with this logic has been imo one part of why my cap has came down this season. But who knows? perhaps next season I play things with different ideas. To each his own and its all good.

Driver over the left trees on the green :banana:
Or play the yellow line

You're 100% correct. Stats show that PGA tour players who go for the green on short par 4's score better than those who lay up.

Again PGA tour players vs THP'ers big difference. I personally would go for the hole in a fun round because I get my kicks that way. But in tournament round I am laying up to the left if my chances of getting over the tree is the issue and I can do it every time. Distance isn't the issue here but height for me personally.

Like I said before either I go for the green or lay back enough to keep bunker out of play and have a full swing in

You're 100% correct. Stats show that PGA tour players who go for the green on short par 4's score better than those who lay up.

Again PGA tour players vs THP'ers big difference. .

Certainly a very big difference vs the general masses playing golf.
Of course there are always those who don't really care about scores and will just do it for fun and kicks. But for most others I guess it simply comes down whether or not one has the shot to get on or close enough most of the times. Play the hole 10 times and be successful 8 times and your probably helping yourself most often. Play it 10 times and only succeed twice your killing yourself. Those who are about 50% would have to weigh how many strokes they lost due to penalties and lost balls, unplayable, recoveries etc on half of them vs how many birds or eagles they made on the other half. Then one can weigh how many pars and birdies they may have if they took the safe route 10 times. So even those who can make the shot 50% of the time may score better over all on the hole using the safer route. But unless one actually plays the course and this hole very many times over and over all we can do is speculate about this.

Definitely 220 to the corner with my favorite lay up distance, 90 yards, left in to the green. I often will hit 6-8 iron 2nd shots on par 5's to leave myself 90 yards out. I haven't had a shot between 35-70 yards in my last 10 rounds.

No, the red line is not worth it to me. I suppose I could try to carry that bunker with a 3w, but I'm not sure I'm gaining anything by doing it. I'd rather just hit an iron to a 100-120 range and just go from there. Seems like an unnecessary risk when there is little to no reward.

~Rock

Definitely 220 to the corner with my favorite lay up distance, 90 yards, left in to the green. I often will hit 6-8 iron 2nd shots on par 5's to leave myself 90 yards out. I haven't had a shot between 35-70 yards in my last 10 rounds.

Now this sounds like "a man with a plan"

Back