Iron vs Wedge shaft

williaza

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I just finished my third full season playing and saw some pretty big improvement. I wanted to keep most of my bag together for another season. My one area of focus is wedge game. I am currently re-thinking my wedges and have a question. When you look at almost every tour player bag they play lighter and less stiff wedge shafts.

My question is if i play Modus 105 stiff which are about 106g how would i find a wedge shaft lighter in steel? Why id Modus own wedge 105 shaft 111g? does anyone just use their regular iron shafts all the way through their wedges? Thanks.

I have for the first time ever with my current set and my wedge play took a step in the right direction. Even in my last set where I played Recoil 95 in my irons, I went with Recoil 110 in the wedges. 95 thoughout now.

So, I just finished my third full season playing and saw some pretty big improvement. I wanted to keep most of my bag together for another season. My one area of focus is wedge game. I am currently re-thinking my wedges and have a question. When you look at almost every tour player bag they play lighter and less stiff wedge shafts.

My question is if i play Modus 105 stiff which are about 106g how would i find a wedge shaft lighter in steel? Why id Modus own wedge 105 shaft 111g? does anyone just use their regular iron shafts all the way through their wedges? Thanks.

The softer part of your tour statement is true but the lighter not necessarily so. The #1 iron shaft on the PGA tour is Dynamic Gold X100 (130.4gr) and the #1 Wedge shaft is Dynamic Gold S400 (132.2) so they are actually slightly heavier in the wedges.

If you want a lighter version of the #1 wedge shaft on Tour we now make Dynamic Gold in a 115 gram wedge shaft.

DB

The softer part of your tour statement is true but the lighter not necessarily so. The #1 iron shaft on the PGA tour is Dynamic Gold X100 (130.4gr) and the #1 Wedge shaft is Dynamic Gold S400 (132.2) so they are actually slightly heavier in the wedges.

If you want a lighter version of the #1 wedge shaft on Tour we now make Dynamic Gold in a 115 gram wedge shaft.

DB

I have actually started to look at these. How do we buy them? will they be offered as a upgrade in any wedges? thank you!

I play the same shaft in my wedges now as my irons for feel as much as anything. I look at them as just shorter, higher lofted irons.

DB

I have actually started to look at these. How do we buy them? will they be offered as a upgrade in any wedges? thank you!

Slightly heavier weight and slightly softer flex for feel is here it’s at since most wedges aren’t swung at full swing speed.

If you play the Modus 105 stiff in your irons you will find their 105 Wedge shaft to be a perfect compliment to the iron shafts. I use it and love the smooth feel and hint more spin I get from it.

Last edited:

They are stock in Cleveland CBX wedge, they will be stock in another wedge coming to market and will be available as individual shafts after the first of the year.

They are stock in Cleveland CBX wedge, they will be stock in another wedge coming to market and will be available as individual shafts after the first of the year.

I love mine in the CBX and plan to put one in my 58 when they are available.

I have #4 steel shaft pulled out , True Temper Dynamic Gold Lite , 109 grams, Stiff Flex. I think is tapered tip .355 shaft. Butt diameter is .620 . I know the shaft cannot be trimmed at the tip, only butt trim.

My objectives : I want to get more spin and lighter weight feel. I want the ball to back spin so it stop faster on green ( like pro on tv ) . I don't do full shot on wedge 50* , ... usually I do fine pitching and chipping only.

My questions : Can I use that for wedge shaft ?

I know this is extreme example to use #4 iron shaft for wedge shaft, but I would like to hear from you guys some comments, thank you

I have #4 steel shaft pulled out , True Temper Dynamic Gold Lite , 109 grams, Stiff Flex. I think is tapered tip .355 shaft. Butt diameter is .620 . I know the shaft cannot be trimmed at the tip, only butt trim.

My objectives : I want to get more spin and lighter weight feel. I want the ball to back spin so it stop faster on green ( like pro on tv ) . I don't do full shot on wedge 50* , ... usually I do fine pitching and chipping only.

My questions : Can I use that for wedge shaft ?

I know this is extreme example to use #4 iron shaft for wedge shaft, but I would like to hear from you guys some comments, thank you

Would be a fun experiment. My initial thoughts would be the toe droop from how the weight of the head will interact with the step pattern/flex of a 4 iron shaft may be sporadic. There is a good chance for inconsistent shots if the toe droops too much loading and unloading.

I've had a lot of success with a same flex 8 iron shaft in my wedges so worth the price of epoxy to try out.

I went to Golf Pro Shop today for shaft operation for my wedge 50*

Golf technician measured the tip area ( the skinniest tube have outer diameter of .355 and have remaining length of 5 inches ). The techinician decided to cut everything from the tip area ie. He cut from the tip almost 4 inches and final trim from the butt. The final length is 36 inches. It feel lighter now , from 475 grams to 435 grams.

I went to chipping area for some testing, honestly I feel the same result like before the shaft operation, no back spin as I wish for. I just feel much lighter doing fine pitching and chipping. Okey I take it.

I currently have Recoils f3 in my irons, but have i95 Steelfibers in my wedges. A little more tip/overall stiffer.

I actually like to have a little softer, lighter shaft in my wedges. Find it easier to chips pitches etc.

I play KBS Tour X flex shafts in 5-PW and recently ordered KBS Tour shafts in S+, S, R+ and R to put in my 51, 55, 59 and 63 degree wedges. I’m going to try Pelz’s recommendations from his Short Game Bible.

b8c49171e79eccc745b0522007bfe02f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had KBS Tour shafts ordered in my wedges a few years ago to match my irons. I like having the same feel throughout the irons.

I currently have X100 AMT tour issue in my GW and PW and S400 in my LW and SW. I honestly doubt if I could tell the difference between the two. I do know that my dispersion is better with a 130ish gram wedge shaft than one that is 15 grams lighter than that.

Back