S3fitting w/ Cool Clubs: Anyone seen this?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Found this today, its essentially the Cool Clubs S3 fitting data in an online database, seems kinds cool, and expensive. But the sample/demo works pretty interestingly.

https://s3fitting.com/

I saw it a month or so ago. Seemed like it could be good, but if I remember correctly the price was to steep for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Staff
I saw it a month or so ago. Seemed like it could be good, but if I remember correctly the price was to steep for me.

Yeah, its HIGH. 60.00/mo IIRC from earlier today. Pretty cool concept though IMO.

Yeah, its HIGH. 60.00/mo IIRC from earlier today. Pretty cool concept though IMO.
I tried the test version and it says both the shafts I switch between the Atmos and Speeder evolution in x were to soft. Given my swing speed not sure I agree with that. Nonetheless seems like a good concept and if not for the price would probably give it a try

• Staff
Some of the recommendations/fits are pretty interesting to me. Even at 110 SS it says the Evenflow Blue 65 in 6.0 is an almost perfect match. Makes me curious.

I’m in the green and very close to ideal, just slightly toward too stiff.

I’m not sure it’s any good because I changed several shafts and even flex and it showed me identical results.

I’m in the green and very close to ideal, just slightly toward too stiff.

I’m not sure it’s any good because I changed several shafts and even flex and it showed me identical results.

I think once you've made a few choices without signing up, it quits giving you results. It did that to me too... started showing every flex the same.

I use a Speeder Evolution III, 569 and it gave me the ideal fit. When I put in my Oban Revenge 6, it was to the right of ideal.

not even close to being accurate, which makes it utterly useless

I'm curious how much this software actually knows about each shaft, or is it just overly focused on flex as interpreted by the OEM?

They state they’ve completed 8000 tests of 2100 shafts to build their database and they test for “Straightness, Consistency Profile, EI Profile, CPM Analysis, and Torque.”

It may be this way on the subscription side, but I think they'd have a better product if they set it up similar to Trackman's Optimizer feature where multiple categories are shown with a green "ideal" zone. They could at least breakdown the stiffness, launch, torque. For example, you could have shaft that is in the green zone for your swing in the stiffness profile, but show to have too little or too much torque based on their testing/fitting data. It might help to narrow down your selection process even faster.

A fitter near me uses EI profiles primarily for fitting. So you try a few shafts under traditional methods and when you find one that seems to be working better than others they pull more shafts with similar EI profiles to try and really fine tune the shaft fitting.

I think I view this as a good starting point, but clearly not a replacement tool for a proper fitting IMO.
Certainly fun to at least see what it says with regards to a specific shaft

Found this today, its essentially the Cool Clubs S3 fitting data in an online database, seems kinds cool, and expensive. But the sample/demo works pretty interestingly.

https://s3fitting.com/

I saw it a couple weeks ago and messed around with the quick check. Interesting that the EF blue 6.0 was a little past ideal as was the helium which is what Danny fit me into last year. The attas coool 6 was the ideal shaft so of course now my ponder is increased.

I'm curious how much this software actually knows about each shaft, or is it just overly focused on flex as interpreted by the OEM?

They have an extensive database on thousands of shafts so I'm pretty sure their database/software is fairly accurate and not based on OEM info

I had the older app - $3 - which the discontinued. One could select upto 5 shafts and compare their profiles and specs as measured by S3. Very cool, perfect for the gear nerd in me. Sad they discontinued it and offer this super expensive app which is more for professional fitters. My thoughts on Cool Clubs fitting process in next post, did a long game fitting in October.

My observations on Long game fitting at Cool Clubs.

Cool Clubs has a proprietary database that recommends shafts based on your swing speed initially. There is a bunch of other information included about each shaft. The fitter then chooses a shaft based on other criteria -I’m guessing that other criteria include spin, launch etc. - and you fine tune by trying options from the subset of shafts that the database recommends.

My thoughts - the idea of selecting a subset of shafts based on just swing speed (as far as I can tell but I may be wrong) doesn’t seem quite right. It probably works for most of the Bell Curve but I think that a third of the people would not fall in this category. For example, I was fit into a Devotion 7 04 a couple of years ago by another custom fitter. Cool Clubs software started me off with a mid launch 60gm shaft. I know my horrible swing and thought to myself “no way” but I let the fitter do his thing since he’s the pro and knows best. Tried various shafts in 60g range, even went down to 50g X-flex but no luck. In the end, the fitter said there wasn’t anything better than current set up. Note that I didn’t try anything in the 70g range cause I think the database didn’t have any recommendations in that weight category.

Similar experience with FW. No database recommendations worked. Finally I asked the fitter if I could try a mid-70g version of a recommended shaft. First hit and bam, great numbers. The fitter says “you’re an anomaly”. Then he took over and after trying 3 shafts the best one turned out to be a mid-70g X-flex Shaft. Trust me when I say based on ss alone, no one will ever give me an X flex shaft to try.

To wrap up, I felt the fitter was very good but he was kind of restricted by the Cool Clubs database recommendations. As soon as he went outside the list of recommended shafts, he dialed it in pretty good. Cool Clubs seems to be focused on getting the right launch and distance for two-thirds of the golfers. Their system doesn’t seem to work for the outliers. Just my thoughts, ymmv.

PS - as for the app, I think you’ll see the recommendations will be similar to my experience.

Cheers!

My observations on Long game fitting at Cool Clubs.

Cool Clubs has a proprietary database that recommends shafts based on your swing speed initially. There is a bunch of other information included about each shaft. The fitter then chooses a shaft based on other criteria -I’m guessing that other criteria include spin, launch etc. - and you fine tune by trying options from the subset of shafts that the database recommends.

My thoughts - the idea of selecting a subset of shafts based on just swing speed (as far as I can tell but I may be wrong) doesn’t seem quite right. It probably works for most of the Bell Curve but I think that a third of the people would not fall in this category. For example, I was fit into a Devotion 7 04 a couple of years ago by another custom fitter. Cool Clubs software started me off with a mid launch 60gm shaft. I know my horrible swing and thought to myself “no way” but I let the fitter do his thing since he’s the pro and knows best. Tried various shafts in 60g range, even went down to 50g X-flex but no luck. In the end, the fitter said there wasn’t anything better than current set up. Note that I didn’t try anything in the 70g range cause I think the database didn’t have any recommendations in that weight category.

Similar experience with FW. No database recommendations worked. Finally I asked the fitter if I could try a mid-70g version of a recommended shaft. First hit and bam, great numbers. The fitter says “you’re an anomaly”. Then he took over and after trying 3 shafts the best one turned out to be a mid-70g X-flex Shaft. Trust me when I say based on ss alone, no one will ever give me an X flex shaft to try.

To wrap up, I felt the fitter was very good but he was kind of restricted by the Cool Clubs database recommendations. As soon as he went outside the list of recommended shafts, he dialed it in pretty good. Cool Clubs seems to be focused on getting the right launch and distance for two-thirds of the golfers. Their system doesn’t seem to work for the outliers. Just my thoughts, ymmv.

PS - as for the app, I think you’ll see the recommendations will be similar to my experience.

Cheers!

and that's why we shouldn't get fit for swing speed, there is more to a unique swing than how fast the clubhead is moving at impact

The catalog of shafts is a good idea, especially when used by people who know what they are doing. That said club head speed with no measurements of how you load the shaft will just be average and mostly a starting point. Hell I am not even 100% how too figure out how you load it. I guess it would be ratio of time from P3 to P4 compared to P4 to P5 combined with club head weight or something.

I do not know how accurate this is... but my two favorite driver shafts I have played have been the Kai'li and the Aldila Tour Blue. Kai'li is spot on as "ideal" shaft and the Tour Blue is REALLY close.

Ive been to Cool Clubs in Chicago and was not impressed at all. They are higher priced than both Club Champion and True Spec and I agree that everything is based on this new software. All the fitter did was look at what shafts and club heads up on some spreadsheet and had me try a couple. The whole process was very rushed. No questions were asked about my game, what I was looking to gain, or how each combination felt. To boot of the five or so shots I hit with each combination he only kept the two best for comparison. How do you gauge dispersion from that? All in all I’d rather have a fitting based on the fitters knowledge than what some spreadsheet says. I can get what Cool Clubs offers from a big box store, if the guy were to use google.

Ive been to Cool Clubs in Chicago and was not impressed at all. They are higher priced than both Club Champion and True Spec and I agree that everything is based on this new software. All the fitter did was look at what shafts and club heads up on some spreadsheet and had me try a couple. The whole process was very rushed. No questions were asked about my game, what I was looking to gain, or how each combination felt. To boot of the five or so shots I hit with each combination he only kept the two best for comparison. How do you gauge dispersion from that? All in all I’d rather have a fitting based on the fitters knowledge than what some spreadsheet says. I can get what Cool Clubs offers from a big box store, if the guy were to use google.

Totally agree, not worth the high price they charge. Think reliance on this new software is leading them down the wrong path. My understanding is that their fittings were much better a few years ago. Plus my location had a very small selection of shafts and it included the “Cool Clubs” branded shafts. Heck, even PGASS has a bigger selection available for their custom fitting and charge 1/4 of what Cool Clubs charges. My experience with Club Champion was far superior and the recommendations have been spot on.

PS - the fitter at Cool Clubs was very good - used to be at TMPL before. Just feel he was constrained by the process in place. He didn’t rush me - in fact, spent more time than I expected - and answered all my questions.

I found truefitclubs.com to be a much better site if one wants to play around with an online fitting.

Exception was categorization of a couple of shafts, i.e., Atmos Black being labeled higher launch than Atmos Red. Believe these are data entry errors and I only found a couple in the ones I looked at.

Back