Graphene in a Golf Ball

This ^^^^

Graphene is incredibly light and thin - 2 dimensional - it allows Callaway to make a larger core (the red section).

I attempted to explain "What is graphene" in a preceding post to supplement Callaway so people know it's more than marketing.
It's an incredibly revolutionary and tiny material.

For those wondering, watch this video from the one and only Doc Hock. Gives a great and simple explanation of the graphenes location and ramifications.

https://youtu.be/zv0S-MNyFQM

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Think:

graphite shafts vs steel
steel shafts vs hickory
metal woods vs persimmon
the original ESPN vs what we had for sports coverage

graphene will be more revolutionary than any or all of those.

Desmond did a nice job of explaining the allure of graphene.

The graphene is an incredibly thin layer and is the mesh in the illustration. The red is the larger soft fast core.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You would think they would have labeled the drawing.

This ^^^^

Graphene is incredibly light and thin - 2 dimensional - it allows Callaway to make a larger core (the red section).

I attempted to explain "What is graphene" in a preceding post to supplement Callaway so people know it's more than marketing.

Thanks guys! I guess they should have labeled the cutaway for me. Haha!

I will be taking these out for some short game practice with the GCQuad tomorrow and will update the regular thread. I find myself digging through graphene stuff on the web and it’s pretty fascinating.

I would love to understand what graphene's role is in the golf ball and how it accomplishes the task!

I would love to understand what graphene's role is in the golf ball and how it accomplishes the task!

From www.graphene-info.com, a quote from "The Company:"

On the question of how exactly to use graphene, the company said that “We had to assess which part of our golf ball we could mix it with to get a strength advantage and where in the golf ball we would want it, bearing in mind that pretty much anything graphene ‘looks at’ turns it black!.... Even though it is slightly transparent, the carbon content always comes to the fore if you use enough of it. We looked at various parts of the golf ball and the functions of each, and we quickly decided that if we were going to use a material that made any part of our golf ball substantially stronger it would be in the outer core, because its role is partly to allow the inner core to be soft. What we wanted to produce was an outer core that was much stronger, effectively a thinner but stronger ‘crash helmet’ for the inner core and that would allow us to make the inner core bigger".

“If you think of this inner core as the engine of the golf ball, the inner of the new Chrome Soft is now bigger and softer because it is protected by the stronger outer core, which allows us to pump up the speed, pump up the spin-reducing characteristic of the soft core, and still retain the soft-feel benefits.”

I bought a dozen at Roger Dunn on Saturday on my way to the course and put them in play right away. First Tee shot pull hooked into the trees and gone... :-( Ball feels like a Chroma soft, didn't really notice any significant differences, I alternated with a Snell MTB Red and really didn't notice much of a difference other than the Chrome soft did feel softer off the driver. Both balls seems about the same distance wise and spin wise but I was not measuring anything.

It is amazing how many uses there are, potentially, for this Graphene material that we are barely beginning to explore the potential of. While I am excited that it is in a golf ball (and supposedly producing great results there), those other uses could be revolutionary for the entire world population. Amazing.

Sometimes it's marketing buzz, sometimes the properties don't work out in the final versions, and sometimes it's revolutionary. Graphene is very likely to change the performance of a lot of objects we use today.

Back