You certainly don't have to rush to keep up but that is what is wrong about courses establishing a "pace of play". There should be no reason a round of golf should take over 4 hours to play a round but courses set a pace of play at 4:15 or 4:30 and too many feel as long as there are on pace screw the group(s) behind them even if there is a gap in front of them. Right from the etiquette section of the Rules of Golf:

Players should play at a good pace. The Committee may establish pace of play guidelines that all players should follow.

It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through.

This IS the way to play. KEEP UP with the group IN FRONT of you!

I'm a fast paced player. Sometimes when you're in a group there always that one who could slow it down.

I’m always conscious of who’s behind me, especially when I play with my son. However a lot of my rounds are solo, so I’m usually the one being waved through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is pretty rare in my regular group for anyone to be consistently waiting behind us with an open hole in front of us. For example, we had a group of two behind us this weekend that waited on us twice but we played 18 holes in 3 hours and 17 minutes so they didn't get waved through.

When I'm the single struck behind, I typically decline to play through unless they are behind pace. If they are at pace and I'm a single, I'll play two balls but it isn't the other group's fault.

Question - when you play a round of golf do you often notice that other golfers are usually waiting on the tee box behind you and pushing you even when there is no one playing in front of you? Be honest.
No.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I am always conscious of what is going on around me on the course, especially if I am out with Jen as we can be a lot slower depending on how she is playing

Whilst she is still in the learning phase we tend to go out when it is quieter anyway, but if anyone catches up to us I will always let them through - Usually it will end up being that I tee off with the group we are letting through, then once they are out of range for Jen she will tee off and then have a steady walk to her ball and she will play once they have moved up towards the green, so by the time we get to mine they are pretty much done on the green and I hardly wait at all

If it is very quiet with nobody else behind the group we are letting through, we will just sit on the tee, let them play through and then tee off when Jen is ready

I'm always aware of pace of play, but I and my group, play fast enough, all we're doing is either trying to push so far ahead or a catch a group in front of us.

Most of my playing partners are quick and we always promptly let singles thru. I do play golf with an older gentlemen every once in awhile who takes 3 and 4 shots and always stops to tell stories. Needless to say we always get a group or 2 backed up and I have to push him to keep moving. He hates letting groups play thru but I always wave them thru. I love playing with this guy and will continue but I will say its a pain sometimes cause I have to always hurry him along.

Never when there is no one ahead slowing me down. If there is no one ahead of me and they are playing faster I will take the first opportunity to allow them to play through. I don't like someone pushing me down the course any more then I like someone slowing me down on the course. I don't play slow by any means though. Its extremely rare for me to take even 1 practice swing and that is one of the areas I see that people spend a lot of time on. Some guys take 20 practice swings before the shot and and then 20 more after each shot. I used to take more then I do now but generally I find I stress out if my practice swing is not perfect and it usually makes me play worse. I like to take a few extra seconds over the ball instead to get my breathing right and make sure I am happy with my set up.

Our foresomes play very quickly but if we have a single or twosome in a cart, we'll always wave them through. Even on early morning tee times when we always go off first on Saturdays and Sundays if there is a single or twosome in a cart on the first tee behind us, we'll wave them through right from the get-go. They'll be gone in 5 minutes typically and we've all experienced being behind a foresome and not being let through and the frustration that results so have no hesitation letting someone pass.

Only if I have slow group in front of our group!! We may be old but were fast!

nope, if I have someone waiting for us we will either pick up the pace or we let them play through.

Depends who I’m playing with...

I always let a group play through if they are faster than us and there is room for them to go. I like to push groups in front though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes, but not too often.

I've played in groups where someone was definitely slowing the pace, but it is never me. I like to play fast.

Never, the guys I play with re very fast and no one ever waits behind us. We do wait a lot behind others.

If you constantly are waiting on others ahead of you, don't you think that you may be playing too fast?

Occasionally....
As a kid, I was taught to get to the ball, be ready and hit the shot - don't waste time. Not a fan of slow play, but depending upon the group - it happens.
When a group I'm in plays very slowly, I find myself playing way too fast, to try and compensate... which ends up badly... takes all the enjoyment out of the match.

I always try to keep pace. I don't like holding others up, and don't like others holding me up. I prefer it when I finish one hole and the players ahead of me are just walking off the next green so as to not delay my tee shot.

If you constantly are waiting on others ahead of you, don't you think that you may be playing too fast?

Not sure how you play too fast unless your group all sprint and hit all at the same time and first person to hole out jogs to tee and is teed off before next person gets to the tee.

As long as we are in pace with the group ahead of us i don't worry too much about what or who is behind us. If we are not keeping up, and i usually pretty quick to mention something to our group to get us going.

Not often, but it happens sometimes. Especially if I'm in a foursome or playing a casual round with my wife. Not really a big deal as long as you are aware of your surroundings and courteous enough to let others play through

I'm a deliberate player, not slow. I tend not to be the first to play in the fairway, and have time to be ready to hit. I do feel the pressure if I am the first to play on a second shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife and I tend to not turn around, we just keep up to the people in front of us. We can't go any faster than those in front of us. We've had folks hit into us, supposedly to speed us up, I either scream at them over one or two holes (as I'm a bit psychotic and I carry club weapons) or stomp their ball into the fairway

Nope. I'm definitely one to push the pace.....hard.

Back