Buying Golf Equipment - Do you try and support local/small businesses?

OITW

Reaction score
When your in the market for new golf gear (clubs/shafts/balls/apparel)

Do you try and support a local company?

For example Snell is HQ in MA and with their new offerings I want to play Snells this year - in the past I played Callaway (and still might) because they make their balls in Chicopee, MA

There are a couple of local apparel companies that I purchase from as well.

I know for some people you don’t have this option, if you did would you support your local company?

To a point. I have bought in to Oncore Golf and have purchased golf balls from them and their prices are great.
I don't buy bigger ticket items new, so if there was a local equipment company I doubt I would go through them for clubs.

I do not have any really local companies that manufacturer golf equipment nor really that sell it, aside from the very limited supply of accessories and shoes at the clubhouse at my home course. I do purchase gloves from there but that is really about it. If we expand it to the state, I primarily purchase and play Bridegestone balls and they are based up around Atlanta.

For example Snell is HQ in MA and with their new offerings I want to play Snells this year - in the past I played Callaway (and still might) because they make their balls in Chicopee, MA

I know for some people you don’t have this option, if you did would you support your local company?

Considering the majority of golf OEM's are in my state, I'd say yeah... I support local golf companies. :D

Not really. Usually looking for the best prices except for when I get fitted for clubs. Then, I typically purchase from the fitter.

It all boils down to pricing. I won't buy something with huge mark-up prices attached to it, when I can the the same thing at 2/3 or 1/2 cost elsewhere. I like to keep my money in my pocket instead of theirs.

I try and support known entities: THP, Budget Golf, Callaway. That is pretty much the extend of my purchasing is on those sites. Now, I do buy from the local Carl's Golfland and plan on checking out a smaller local store here soon to see what they have.

I'll certainly give the smaller companies a try when it comes to golf balls (Snell, OnCore, etc) and some equipment (Edel). Here in Hawaii there are only a few shops on the island, and I get club work done at the smaller one since I trust their work and I've gotten to know them. For most club purchases though, I'm buying online from my preferred vendor!

Golf retail around here is terrible. I have a good relationship with the pro shop at the range I go to and get a discount on items that allow it so I try to buy what I can from them otherwise it’s usually online retailers or second hand market

Buying Golf Equipment - Do you try and support local/small businesses?

I don’tknow if a local place for golf business exists near me. If it did and I liked it I would have no problem supporting it. The only local mom and pop golf store is a small place in a strip mall near work. It’s run down and they specialize in putter restoring. Only bought a club there once though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Locally" we have Wilson Staff and Tour Edge. I certainly give W/S equipment a first look for certain spots in my bag, and Tour Edge finally grabbed my fairway wood spot. I guarantee nothing other than I will look at what the companies have available - if I like it, and it performs well, it's in the running. From the perspective of a retailer, we have Budget Golf "locally" as well, who I have made a few purchases from. Have also made a few purchases at a local green grass pro shop, Pro Circle.

Even though it seems very odd SuperStroke is headquartered here and I am playing their grips on all my clubs so I guess my answer is yes I support local companies

Locally for me from an OEM or manufacturing side doesn't exist, and the pricing on products from pro shops or retailers is so out of whack of what can be purchased online, it's just tough to justify the increased cost, unless there's a convenience factor needed, as in, I need to buy it today!

EBay, only because I'm a lefty.

We have a place here called T&D Golf, two locations. SOME new clubs, but most everything is used.

I popped in yesterday to have a slight repair on one of my irons and walking around they had this giant bin of used ProV1s priced at 10.99/dozen. I spent 5 minutes picking the ones I wanted and I couldn't believe how minor the marks were, if any, on each ball that I chose. I could literally put these ProV1s into play and it would be just fine, but instead I'm using it as my practice golf balls around the chipping/pitching area.

You do get some great value at the small business golf shops...Case in point. They also have a nice system of demoing clubs before you buy for those who want to do that.

I support them more with buying smaller items (balls, tees, club making stuff) & time on the simulator than I do with buying clubs there. Even their used stuff is usually considerably more expensive than online.

I would like to more but nothing is really available locally. Walmart has older models and Dicks has started carrying less golf stuff at my local store. So now I mostly order online.

Try to, but if there is a huge savings I have to consider my bank account. I bought a 17 m2 impulsively, local shop/range matched the price at DSG so no issues for me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Since I work part time at a local golf course i get most stuff a a good price.

I bought my irons and my last 7 wedges from my club. Driver and putters, I mostly buy online slightly used to new. It's so hard to pay anything close to retail when I was able to get an Epic SZ driver(new in the plastic) from the CPO store for $310 and my Odyssey O'Works putters(one new and one like new) for $87 each. My new club has a great discount so I might buy almost everything from them.

I try to hit the local stores when it makes sense, but options that aren't crazy expensive are limited. There aren't any OEMs locally that I'm aware of. If there were, I'd give their stuff a look, but wouldn't game it at the expense of performance over something else.

There is a small golf repair shop nearby that I go to for all things grips, tees and other accessories. I usually buy clubs/balls online since that is sometimes a better deal. I am all about supporting local small businesses if the prices are pretty similar.

I used to support Ping exclusively because of their home base in Phoenix.

Best prices are a must for such an expensive sport, for someone in my shoes at least but I always love to support small business when I can afford the higher price point.

Back