THE_Liam

Reaction score
Handicap
None yet
Probably a long shot being that the sport isn't really popular anywhere outside of the north of England, south of France, the pacific islands, Australia and New Zealand, but are there any rugby league fans here besides me?

I'm a huge Leeds Rhinos fan, season ticket holder at Headingley, go to close away games as well. Not sure how we can improve on last season after winning all 3 trophies and our captain of the last 13 years switching to rugby union but I'm optimistic, been at the top of the English game for 10-11 years and can't see that ending.

Anyone else? Seen a few Australians on here...

I am, NRL for me and my team The Warriors from NZ.

Sweet, I watched NZ a lot last year to see how Sam Tomkins got on, didn't do too well from what I saw. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is a hell of a replacement for him though! I follow Roosters in the NRL so I've seen a lot of him, followed Roosters since Adrian Morley went there from Leeds. Will you be watching tomorrow? Series could go either way I reckon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I watch rugby anytime it is on in the states. What is the difference between league and union?

I have played the game a bit, and love to watch it whenever its on TV. hard to find any game up here outside of the world championships.

If I could still run properly, had two healthy knees and shoulders that dislocate at every hit, I would probably play again.

edit: who am I kidding, with one somewhat healthy knee, I would be playing...

I watch rugby anytime it is on in the states. What is the difference between league and union?
Far too complicated to go into here, but essentially league was a rebel competition set up by clubs in the north of England in 1895 because professionalism was banned. A few of the main differences are a league team has 13 players and a union team has 15, league teams have to hand over the ball after being tackled 6 times which meand there's more focus on avoiding tackles and breaking through the line, and of course RU is a fairly global game but RL is only big in certain areas. The only places where its bigger than union are Australia and PNG.

I have played the game a bit, and love to watch it whenever its on TV. hard to find any game up here outside of the world championships.

If I could still run properly, had two healthy knees and shoulders that dislocate at every hit, I would probably play again.

edit: who am I kidding, with one somewhat healthy knee, I would be playing...

I gave it up and took up golf because of 7 concussions and a ruined knee, if it wasn't for the fact that I can barely run now because of my knee I'd be playing every Saturday.

Sweet, I watched NZ a lot last year to see how Sam Tomkins got on, didn't do too well from what I saw. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is a hell of a replacement for him though! I follow Roosters in the NRL so I've seen a lot of him, followed Roosters since Adrian Morley went there from Leeds. Will you be watching tomorrow? Series could go either way I reckon.

I havent really got into the Kiwis tour this year because of the time difference and i just dont see it. I will probably watch the high lights though.

I havent really got into the Kiwis tour this year because of the time difference and i just dont see it. I will probably watch the high lights though.
Today's should be good with it being the decider. I hope so anyway, I've got tickets and I'm setting off for Wigan in 10 minutes.

What a game that was!

Another NRL follower here... and go the Mighty Roosters!

Another NRL follower here... and go the Mighty Roosters!
Going to watch Roosters in February, they're coming over here to play St Helens in the world club series. Going to all 3 series games, my club Leeds are playing Cowboys, and then my mate is from Brisbane so he wants to see them play Wigan so I'm going to that, thought I may as well go see my NRL team play Saints as well. Going to be a great 3 days of rugby!

It will be early pre season of course for the NRL clubs but I expect all 3 S.L clubs to put in a strong showing. You might keep an eye out for our newest recruit "Smokin' Joe Burgess". I hope the lad has a cracker in his home country before he heads out here.

cheers

It will be early pre season of course for the NRL clubs but I expect all 3 S.L clubs to put in a strong showing. You might keep an eye out for our newest recruit "Smokin' Joe Burgess". I hope the lad has a cracker in his home country before he heads out here.

cheers
Oh I know all about Joe Burgess, he scored 5 tries against Leeds last season in 2 games. Was surprised he went to Roosters though, I don't think he's that good. Best right winger in SL is Jermaine McGillvary at Huddersfield, surprised he didn't move on to Wigan to replace Burgess but looks like Wigan will stick with Josh Charnley.

I'm just waiting to see how Leeds get on without Sinfield, Peacock and Leuluai...

Oh I know all about Joe Burgess, he scored 5 tries against Leeds last season in 2 games. Was surprised he went to Roosters though, I don't think he's that good...

Ahhhh.... please don't say that. I'm hoping that the Mighty Roosters can somehow turn him into a half descent fullback! We need him.

Ahhhh.... please don't say that. I'm hoping that the Mighty Roosters can somehow turn him into a half descent fullback! We need him.
Not gonna be anyone that could replace RTS. Our fullback at Leeds, Zak Hardaker won man of steel over here and now he's up for the golden boot, I'd say he's the best fullback in the world, but he's just signed on for 5 years. Hands off

You do know the Roosters are front runners to sign Jared Hayne if he decides to pull the plug on his NFL career? If that happens he will absolutely rip off the back of our go forward.

You do know the Roosters are front runners to sign Jared Hayne if he decides to pull the plug on his NFL career? If that happens he will absolutely rip off the back of our go forward.

There's a big difference between being front runners to sign someone and signing someone though. I mean, Leeds were front runners to sign Sam Burgess, but that was never going to happen. How much would you have to pay him?

I'd like to see Hayne at Roosters, but if the 49ers offered to swap Hayne for Hardaker at Leeds I'd tell them to stick it. In 5 years Hardaker will be one of, if not the best outside backs in the world.

Roosters pack is fearsome, but what Roosters have lacked is a truly great half back pair like Wing and Fittler were. That's my worry for next year with Leeds - We've had Sinfield and McGuire for 13 years and now Sinfield is gone and McGuire isn't quite the player he was...

I was trying to be polite and a little politically correct.. haha.

If Hayne returns he will be a Rooster, despite other clubs believing they are in the running for his signature. Cost? $5m/3yrs + TPA which would make him the highest paid NRL player by far.

Regarding Hardaker I have not seen much of his play and while I don't want to rain on your parade, the NRL is by far the toughest most grinding season of league you can play. I hope we see him out here even if it is only a short stint for he will surely return to you a better player. I say this only because I want to see a return to truly competitive internationals between both countries. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned... exchanging players to play in both competitions.

Re the Roosters halves...
I would have agreed not too long ago. I am a fan of Pearce but he's not in the dynamic mould of a traditional halfback. I think the pairing of Hastings and Pearce will bare fruit. I am now of the opinion where the Roosters have lacked in past seasons is the absence of a ball player in the mould of a Ben Teo and with the nous of a Corey Parker, and a player with the smarts to give Pearce options. Cordner was that player for a time, but like Guerra both have over time become a little predictable. The Roosters have relied too much on the grand attacking plays to get them home. We have been void of any 'micro-plays' the scheming of 2-3 players on the edge and the like...

I don't know enough about Leeds to comment on their situation but I will say that if the right changes are made it should not necessarily be cause for concern. I am still very positive heading into next season despite the loss of RTS and Maloney here at the Roosters.

I was trying to be polite and a little politically correct.. haha.

If Hayne returns he will be a Rooster, despite other clubs believing they are in the running for his signature. Cost? $5m/3yrs + TPA which would make him the highest paid NRL player by far.

Regarding Hardaker I have not seen much of his play and while I don't want to rain on your parade, the NRL is by far the toughest most grinding season of league you can play. I hope we see him out here even if it is only a short stint for he will surely return to you a better player. I say this only because I want to see a return to truly competitive internationals between both countries. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned... exchanging players to play in both competitions.

Re the Roosters halves...
I would have agreed not too long ago. I am a fan of Pearce but he's not in the dynamic mould of a traditional halfback. I think the pairing of Hastings and Pearce will bare fruit. I am now of the opinion where the Roosters have lacked in past seasons is the absence of a ball player in the mould of a Ben Teo and with the nous of a Corey Parker, and a player with the smarts to give Pearce options. Cordner was that player for a time, but like Guerra both have over time become a little predictable. The Roosters have relied too much on the grand attacking plays to get them home. We have been void of any 'micro-plays' the scheming of 2-3 players on the edge and the like...

I don't know enough about Leeds to comment on their situation but I will say that if the right changes are made it should not necessarily be cause for concern. I am still very positive heading into next season despite the loss of RTS and Maloney here at the Roosters.

Jesus would Hayne really cost that much? And would you be able to fit him under the salary cap? That just shows how much more money is in the NRL, that's the squad budget of half of SLs clubs.

In terms of the toughness of NRL, I agree its a tough league especially for forwards but it some ways its easier. A shorter season, fewer games to play because you don't have an equivalent of the challenge cup, and most matches played in good conditions rather than frozen pitches in February and waterlogged pitches in April. However the league as a whole is stronger because you have more good clubs. The way I always describe it is that if we pick our best and you pick your best, so Leeds, Wigan and St Helens from here and Cowboys, Broncos and Roosters from there, you'll get 3 close games that could go either way. However change it to the 3 worst, so say Wakefield, Salford and Widnes from here and Titans, Panthers and Warriors from there, our clubs would get smashed

With Roosters I agree with you, there seems to be a reluctance to exploit a small gap or an out of position marker, instead looking for the 10 pass glory plays. I'd say there's 2 many set plays going on, although I haven't watched them as much as I'd have liked this year. I noticed the lack of it because its something Leeds do very well and are known for. Look for highlights of Leeds winning the league leaders shield, Danny McGuire chips over the Huddersfield winger for Ryan Hall to collect and run in from 40 metres to win the game in the last second, Roosters need more of that.

Last edited:
$5 million?
haha... I'm laughing thinking about our US friends here used to their NFL & NBA deals & contracts.
To you and I it's :shock: and they'd probably be asking what's wrong with him :dont-know:

$5 million?
haha... I'm laughing thinking about our US friends here used to their NFL & NBA deals & contracts.
To you and I it's :shock: and they'd probably be asking what's wrong with him :dont-know:
Yeah I mean don't MLB deals run into the hundreds of millions over a few years?

In super league the salary cap for the whole squad per year is £1.6 million for a squad of 25, so roughly 65k a year each, although obviously some earn more and some less. Our top paid is meant to be Danny McGuire on about 105k a year.

Yeah I mean don't MLB deals run into the hundreds of millions over a few years?

In super league the salary cap for the whole squad per year is £1.6 million for a squad of 25, so roughly 65k a year each, although obviously some earn more and some less. Our top paid is meant to be Danny McGuire on about 105k a year.

Yep. It isn't uncommon to see an MLB player making in excess of 15 million a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. It isn't uncommon to see an MLB player making in excess of 15 million a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rooster's now linked to Brett Ferres! Sydney, scandal, sex, sunshine...

Rooster's now linked to Brett Ferres! Sydney, scandal, sex, sunshine...
I'd love to know what he did.

Back