THPer Testing: Ping G400 vs G400 Max vs G400 LST

It was my mistake that it was not included, because I think it should have been. We have the heads here, but we brought two of the same heads by accident. I agree it should be in the mix...Although I would be scared with how Mward would have hit it (he had the lefts with the regular one).

Either amazingly, or I would have been donating range balls to the pond between the range and 18 fairway.

Curious if any guys noticed any random hooks with the LST? With the G30 LST i would get into stints of random hooks, which was rough on my scoring at times. Moved back to the std model in the G and I rarely if ever hit a hook...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think consistent fades with the flatter lie angle if anything..

Great test and most interesting results. With my G400 LST 10 * I am continually pleased with results from not so good swings to smooth swings. The LST 10 * driver is most forgivable on off center hits and amazing on center face hits. Not gonna look at any other drivers.

Welp, I guess it's time to track down an G400 LST head :D

I believe there is/was one in the marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I tested these at a demo day 2 weeks ago. Then took the G400 Max demo on the course. I liked the "annoying" sound because I would say "wow is that loud", then my buddies would be thinking about their driver sound vs. their shot! LOL! All were good, my swing variations messed up the actual demo testing.

4d10f0a950030ad7ccf7d304ad6808f5.jpg

Couldn’t help myself.... will have a battle with the standard G400.

I would think consistent fades with the flatter lie angle if anything..

Yes and No. i suppose I’m essentially referring to the lateral face forgiveness. I tend to live a bit out on the toe and my poor swings find their way a bit further out. The LST models tend to provide a bit less support on these misses, with a hook tendency. Of course, good strikes are no issue.

I've gamed the G400 LST since last fall. I love it. I find it long and forgiving. I picked up a 9* g400Max HZRDUS yellow combo recently. It's a beast. It launches significantly higher (visually)in the same loft when compared to the LST. I'm playing it at 8* with a low launch shaft, and it's a rocket launcher. It's long and forgiving. Definitely great on toe misses. I can see why a bunch of the Ping pros are playing it. I play the LST in the 8.5-9 range, and with the Max set at 8*, I'm not really sensing that it is much higher in spin than the LST. If I'm seeing 2200ish spin with the LST, I'd bet the max is 2350 in that range. The LST may be a few yards longer when hit on the screws, but the max is ridiculous forgiving..... Sound and feel definitely go to the LST. The max is louder and more hollow, but it's not obnoxious like the previous G drivers.

As for the test, I'm wondering why the spin was so high overall on these drivers. That's not what I'm seeing at all. Maybe the stock shafts were just bad matches for the testers. I'm of the mind if you put a Mid-Low launch/Low spin shaft and adjust the loft to the ball flight you want to see, it will perform and have ridiculous forgiveness...

Interesting - clubs definitely working as advertised. Looks like with some more dialing in, this line could fit most anyone.

Thanks for the testing and the comments, everyone!

I've gamed the G400 LST since last fall. I love it. I find it long and forgiving. I picked up a 9* g400Max HZRDUS yellow combo recently. It's a beast. It launches significantly higher (visually)in the same loft when compared to the LST. I'm playing it at 8* with a low launch shaft, and it's a rocket launcher. It's long and forgiving. Definitely great on toe misses. I can see why a bunch of the Ping pros are playing it. I play the LST in the 8.5-9 range, and with the Max set at 8*, I'm not really sensing that it is much higher in spin than the LST. If I'm seeing 2200ish spin with the LST, I'd bet the max is 2350 in that range. The LST may be a few yards longer when hit on the screws, but the max is ridiculous forgiving..... Sound and feel definitely go to the LST. The max is louder and more hollow, but it's not obnoxious like the previous G drivers.

As for the test, I'm wondering why the spin was so high overall on these drivers. That's not what I'm seeing at all. Maybe the stock shafts were just bad matches for the testers. I'm of the mind if you put a Mid-Low launch/Low spin shaft and adjust the loft to the ball flight you want to see, it will perform and have ridiculous forgiveness...

The shafts could have been ill fits, sure. It wasn’t adding several hundred rpm to people’s results though.

This assessment is spot on with my experience so far. JMan is going to add a little hotmelt to his Gmax (which I am sure every tour pro is doing) and that may create a phenomenal clubhead.

This is a great test, interesting in seeing the Max having the best launch, but too much spin as carry was edged out by LST

I really want that LST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was fit a few days ago and tested both the G400 and the LST. I went with the LST with a hzrdus black 6.0 shaft. Should be in mid next week. I can't wait!

I think I posted this elsewhere...but I played 18 with the LST at 10* and then 18 the next day on the same course with similar weather with the GMAX 10.5 turned down to 9.9.

LST on best strikes is longer by about 5 yards - not sure the carry vs. run difference, but there were a few low spinners that ran a long, long way. MAX definitely more forgiving, higher flight, straighter. MAX wanted to stay straight or turn a little left, LST wanted to fade.

For me, I am willing to give away the 5 yards for the accuracy, but I'd understand someone who was consistently on the screws going for the LST.

Dang it, I did not need to see this. I've been considering trying the LST model to compare to my regular G400 and compare numbers. Seeing these results is really nudging me in that direction. It's really interesting seeing how much difference there is between these three drivers, that's a really cool test.

I have been thinking about doing the same thing and this test really is likely not good for my wallet.

I picked up a G400 lst 8.5 and put a HC EvenFlow Black 6.5 shaft in it and went straight to the course. Shot a 67. Best round ever. Didn’t miss a single fairway and absolutely mangled everyone of them. It is point and shoot. So good and with club champs next weekend I am feeling good!

Dropped my M1 for this. Couldn’t be happier

Back