How do you find...

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
... a pro to take lessons from? I don't think I'm gonna find any Yelp reviews of the pros in the area. Is there any better way than just taking a lesson from one of the pros at one of the courses in the area and hoping for the best?

Posting here is actually a good start I imagine. I imagine someone near you might have suggestions, maybe edit OK into title. Other than that just need to find someone who you gel with ect.

Just pick one and start with one lesson before you commit to a series. You may be surprised at what you can learn from someone who is very different from you.

Dan

Ask around where you play for recommendations. I agree with buying one lesson to see if their instruction style fits your learning style.

Like mentioned above, look for recommendations from anybody local, THP or at the courses you play. But you can also just ask to talk to the pro about lessons to see what's available as an impromptu interview of sorts just to see if you communicate well with them. Communication is very important while taking lessons and sometimes a bit underrated IMO.

I asked around at the course to get a feel for the teaching pros. I just committed to a 4 lesson series with my head club pro that my father in law recommended. He is doing a 4 lesson eval for $200 with Driver, irons, short game/putting and FW wood/hybrids.

I like the idea of him evaluating and helping with each area then develop a plan for going forward.

You can search on the PGA of America webpage for a teaching pro in your area.

I pretty much go the route of taking lessons with the Pro's at my local course(s).

Ok, so I'm gonna take the plunge and get some lessons this spring and summer. I put in a request on https://www.thumbtack.com/ and already received an answer back. The course is one of the closest to my house and he quoted $50 for 45 minutes or a set of 6 for $235. I think I'm gonna take the single lesson first to see how we mesh. I guess I'm wondering now, what questions should I ask of him? I've been told before (by near scratch players) that I should be playing to well below what I am. I had one golf pro tell me I should be playing to a 6 or 7 and I had a near scratch player who was trying to pass his PGA pro ability test (???) tell me that I should be shooting mid-high 70's. Both commented that I had a very sound swing and couldn't imagine why I couldn't seal the deal. All that to say, I know I have a solid foundation to work with albeit a little rusty since I've only been back at it for a little over a year now, but I'm not the average beginner with a baseball grip and casting the club every swing.

Also, if any of you are golf pros, what would you charge if a prospective student asked to take a playing lesson on the course? 9 holes or 18, doesn't really make a bunch of difference.

Back