Recommendations on new stand bag

annsguy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My3Kids
So I played today which turned out to be the hottest day of the year in NC. Riding was a good option for we older guys. Some might call it survival.
I have been using a Wilson Staff Featherlite stand bag. Its light and cute and all but it seems rather small. The stand mechanism is ok at best and when I go to pull a weapon its is a sea of clubs. Its all just jammed in there.

Anyone have a suggestion on a stand bag that is simply bigger and has a better stand mechanism. I am thinking Ping, SM, and maybe Titleist. I had a W/S Nexus bag but sold it and not sure I would go back since Wilson doesn't show much desire to update it.

Jones original. Not a stand bag, just a simple no frills carry bag.

I’m using a Callaway hyper lite 3 from 2017 right now and find it very comfortable. I won it in a raffle so there is not much to complain about. However if I was paying for it, I would go with a Sun Mountain three 5 or a ping hoofer. I’ve used both in the past and they were extremely comfortable. Plus when i played Erin Hills last year those two were about the only bags the caddie would be willing to carry without switching to a caddie carry bag.

Forgot to add - I’m referring to bags with good amount of storage not ultra light, featherweight bags. These I’ve mentioned are great carry bags for me without being too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a cart guy and have 2 stand bags that I am happy with, but depends on how you plan to use them. Also, I am all about a 14 way divider, if you don't want a 14 way, then just skip the rest of this post as I only really consider that type of bag.

if you carry regularly but want a bag with a lot of features and works well on a cart: Callaway Fusion14 but only the 2018 model. It has 14 way full length dividers, removable dual straps, more pockets than you can think of and not super heavy. Not cheap at list price of $230 but has the most features of any bag on the market.

If you ride often but want a stand bag that you can use at the range, look at the Cleveland Stand bag. 14 way divider, not full length though, but the design makes it so there is very little to no tangle in my experience. Lots of storage, great insulated cooler pocket with a drain in it so you can load it up with ice and not worry about it leaking in your bag. Heavy at 6.5lbs unloaded so I wouldn't want to carry it, but great on a push cart or riding cart. $140 new and can be found for cheaper than that online. Good action on the legs but it can get caught up if you have an umbrella in the umbrella slot on the underside of the bag, but the value of this bag is crazy good IMHO.

Good luck in your search!

I have a SUn M mountain 4.5 and love it. Part of me wishes I would've gotten the 14 divider, but the one I have works just fine.

I have a SUn M mountain 4.5 and love it. Part of me wishes I would've gotten the 14 divider, but the one I have works just fine.

Ditto, but I have a 14 way cart bag which is fantastic. For carrying I love the 4.5.

Ditto, but I have a 14 way cart bag which is fantastic. For carrying I love the 4.5.

I've thought about getting a cart bag to throw on my Clicgear. If I do, it'll most likely be that one. Such a great bag.

I've gone to two bags - if I carry, it's a SM 2.5 (2.7 lbs), which has a 9.5 inch top and can comfortably carry 14 clubs without sticking, and it's an ultralight. When I push a cart, ride, or go to the range, I have a SM 4.5.

You've gotten some good recommendations to choose from. The only one I'd add is the TaylorMade FlexTech. There is a review by several THPers on the forum and it got good marks in the 14-way hybrid stand bag category.

I've gone to two bags - if I carry, it's a SM 2.5 (2.7 lbs), which has a 9.5 inch top and can comfortably carry 14 clubs without sticking, and it's an ultralight. When I push a cart, ride, or go to the range, I have a SM 4.5.

You make a great point on the size of the top. I assume the top on the W/S bag I use must be small.

+1 to this. Sun Mountain also has smaller options like the 2.5 that might fit your needs. You won't find a more quality bag with CS to back it up.

You've gotten some good recommendations to choose from. The only one I'd add is the TaylorMade FlexTech. There is a review by several THPers on the forum and it got good marks in the 14-way hybrid stand bag category.

I'd seconded the FlexTech as well. It's a great bag with a lot of storage.
The only thing I would tell you is look for a bag that you can remove the carry straps if you want to.
Nothing worse than going to a streak of cart golf and have the straps in the way.

BTW: The FlexTech straps do not come off.

After having Ping bags forever, for my most recent bag, I got a Wilson Nexus and will be going back to Ping when it's time for a replacement. Ping bags seem to last a long time and have minimal issues with stand mechanisms.

Another hot day today in Raleigh--heat index 109.

After having Ping bags forever, for my most recent bag, I got a Wilson Nexus and will be going back to Ping when it's time for a replacement. Ping bags seem to last a long time and have minimal issues with stand mechanisms.

I just finished hitting balls. It is warm!!

I just finished hitting balls. It is warm!!

headed over to Tradition just down the road to get some practice in tomorrow.

I have heard good things about that course. I hit balls at Leatherman Golf or a couple of other places on South Blvd. I was a member of Providence CC for years but three in college will chance the direction of your money. We will have to get together to play sometime. Based on our handicaps we would have fun.

I have heard good things about that course. I hit balls at Leatherman Golf or a couple of other places on South Blvd. I was a member of Providence CC for years but three in college will chance the direction of your money. We will have to get together to play sometime. Based on our handicaps we would have fun.

sounds like a plan, i am trying to line up a iron fitting at Leatherman's soon

sounds like a plan, i am trying to line up a iron fitting at Leatherman's soon

That's funny I just left there and was talking to Curtis the club guy. He's good.I was getting my Triton driver dialed in.

It's cooling down here - heat index is only 102

Ogio Silencer Stand bag. /thread

Since Ogio decided to completely change the Grom and get rid of nearly every feature that made it amazing I just bought a sun mountain 4 5.

Beautiful bag and high quality .

No clue why they messed with the Grom and gave it a stupid 14 way divider without the rubber cart strap.

Dunno if it’s me but just holding the 2017 and 18 version just feels way cheaper than my 8 year old version that finally had to be retired .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I played today which turned out to be the hottest day of the year in NC. Riding was a good option for we older guys. Some might call it survival.
I have been using a Wilson Staff Featherlite stand bag. Its light and cute and all but it seems rather small. The stand mechanism is ok at best and when I go to pull a weapon its is a sea of clubs. Its all just jammed in there.

Anyone have a suggestion on a stand bag that is simply bigger and has a better stand mechanism. I am thinking Ping, SM, and maybe Titleist. I had a W/S Nexus bag but sold it and not sure I would go back since Wilson doesn't show much desire to update it.

Late to the party here, but I've seen several good recommendations already. I'm enjoying the 2018 Ping Hoofer so you should definitely check those out and the Sun Mountain line is always a safe bet. Hope you're able to find one you like!

I got a Wilson Staff Nexus bag... Don't buy that. Its a good bag and I like it and all, but it doesn't fit in a hard cover travel case. Always end up having to use my wife's bag lol. If you're not flying with em though its a solid sturdy bag.

Back